Metabolism after CDC

JaxieD

Silver Member
I've read quite a lot of threads from members who have met an almost hostile response from people when they tell them about CD. It makes me wonder why?:confused: I have had similiar experiences of " What, you;re mad!!" and "sure when you start eating again, it'll all pile on again!"(This happened to me on WW anyway, so there!) Not exactly supportive and i just ignore it as a rule. One person, though, started going on about how i;ll never be able to eat normally again as my metabolism will have slowed down to zilch and i'll probably have to survive on less that 1000cals per day for ever to keep the weight off!!:eek: Any of you experienced peeps or CDCs have a suitable response to this so i can blind this person with science?:sign0009:

I've read quite a lot of threads from members who have met an almost hostile response from people when they tell them about CD. It makes me wonder why?:confused: I have had similiar experiences of " What, you;re mad!!" and "sure when you start eating again, it'll all pile on again!"(This happened to me on WW anyway, so there!) Not exactly supportive and i just ignore it as a rule. One person, though, started going on about how i;ll never be able to eat normally again as my metabolism will have slowed down to zilch and i'll probably have to survive on less that 1000cals per day for ever to keep the weight off!!:eek: Any of you experienced peeps or CDCs have a suitable response to this so i can blind this person with science?:sign0009:

Hiya

There is always someone ready to put down a VLCD so try not to let it worry you hun. I am currently on 1700 calories a day, am only a shory 5ft 1 and don't exercise so I think that is pretty good and I never feel hungry.

Gxx

Thanks Gals!!

You are both an inspiration and I shall hopefully join in on your success by July or about;). Sod the rest of them - I feel fab already so that's a defo good thing!!

:talk017:

One of my friends lost 6 stone with CD and has kept at her goal weight for 4 years. She eats a varied and healthy diet with a treat once or twice a week. She has on average 1800 cals per day and eats plenty of protein so she doesn't get carb or sugar cravings.

Really glad you asked this as that is the only niggle I had before starting cd. 4 people who I work with did LL 2 years ago and all of them have out the weight back on... I don't honestly know if they ever got to goal ( they were alot thinner ) or actually went to maintenance. So I am really intesterted in all your replys and it gladens me that you are all able to eat a decent amount of cals and keep the weight off.

Here's some relevant science: your metabolic rate will slow down a bit; once you are maintaining, your metabolism will be commensurate with your new weight, rather than your old, heavier weight. This is because a heavy body needs more Calories to maintain the status quo than a lighter one.

So it will be different, but not worse.

You can also improve it by exercise, as sleek heavy muscle uses more Calories just sitting still than a fatty one!

You go blind them with the science - good luck.

The truth is this Jaxie...& you tel em it loud!
Yes your metabolic rate slows a bit on CD...but it also slows on any weight loss regime whether intended or not.
When your weight stabilises the rate recovers withing a week or 2. It will of course be a bit lower than pre-loss as you have a smaller body to run.
weight gain after a diet is v common & bears no relation to the rate at which it was lost.
Weight re-gain is linked entirely to long term eating habits after the loss.

As I see it, you can't even try & maintain til you've lost it. If CD etc increases your chances of losing then by definition it also gives you a better chance of maintaining.

If they still don't believe you,then lose the weight & grin smugly at them...or send them to me.

One of my friends lost 6 stone with CD and has kept at her goal weight for 4 years. She eats a varied and healthy diet with a treat once or twice a week. She has on average 1800 cals per day and eats plenty of protein so she doesn't get carb or sugar cravings.

......& therein lies the road to success!
well doen yuor friend

Sorry Lesly ...duplicated your post.guess we were typing at the same time

That is great to hear, GaynorEm. Hope for us all.

My metabolism is just fine:cool: My cals add up to approx 1800 a day (which is correct for my age). Soon be 3 years at goal.

It always makes me sigh when I hear people talk about how we will regain it all after doing CD. Same people who end up back at their slimming club every January ;)

Thanks KD really enjoyed that.

I think weight has to be managed for life...with the amount of treats, junk food, treats and takeaways we are vulnerable to everyday...we have to make sound and sensible choices even when at goal. Getting to goal doesn't mean we can go back to eating willy nilly and I think there lies the difference between those that stay at goal and those that put the weight back on...If you go back to your old eating habits...you will go back to the old you.

Well Done KD 3 years at goal is fabulous x x

Here's some relevant science: your metabolic rate will slow down a bit; once you are maintaining, your metabolism will be commensurate with your new weight, rather than your old, heavier weight. This is because a heavy body needs more Calories to maintain the status quo than a lighter one.

So it will be different, but not worse.

You can also improve it by exercise, as sleek heavy muscle uses more Calories just sitting still than a fatty one!

You go blind them with the science - good luck.

Thank you Lesley and all the rest of you who answered. It all makes sense really!!!;)

Keep up the good work~!!:p

Back