milk

I may have missed the answer to this but have the LLC told why you need to add milk, sorry if the answer is here:confused:

Was told tonight it was because NICE have said you cannot be in abstinence for more than 12 weeks at a time

Since I only did a quick eye scan of the NICE report, I didn't take much in:eek:

So...I do wonder why they have picked milk to 'up' the calories. Does anyone know why they are recommending this? Is it that they don't consider it safe to be in ketosis for so long, or that it's not safe to stay under 800 calories for that amount of time?

If it's the 2nd, then couldn't they have suggest something carb free so as not to bring you out of ketosis?

Sorry...this might have been mentioned. Haven't read the whole of the thread.

I'm not sure that I would like to have done this, but I would certainly question it before making my decision. I don't think the NICE people:rolleyes: have done this just for laughs. Reckon it needs taking seriously.

So...anyone know why you just can't get off the VLCD using something like meat, or fats which would keep you in ketosis?

Apparently, they chose milk because its not a solid, you will still be on a liquid diet yet adding the necessary calories. They did a test group apparently and they found that drinking the milk for a short period (1 week) did not throw you out of ketosis and also most people actually found they lost more weight. Something about tricking the body into thinking it was getting more calories so metabolism increased. LL are very keen that their clients stay in abstinence as once you starting eating something like a chicken breast, people tend to go to pieces and start eating more and more. I can vouch for this as I ate Christmas dinner last year. I was like a child in a sweet shop, eating anything I could get my hands on!! I came off LL and tried to go it alone. In the 3 months since Xmas I put on a stone so am now back with LL as a rejoiner. My first meeting was on Wednesday, yesterday went fine despite having a lousy head cold, Yuck!

Curious to know if CDs aam week is enough to get round this recommendation. Or will we be drinking milk too?

CD have been working on different programmes since the paper came out in December. CD always comply with NICE guidelines, I doubt we will have to drink loads of milk though. After all AAM and 790 are still VLCD's.

All CDC's will be trained in the new guidance and programmes the anticipated date for this training is June.

Linda

Last edited:
Thanks Linda, so is it lack of cals or ketosis they are worried about? And how come they have decided this after all the previous research saying the diet is perfectly safe. I mean cd has been going for 20+ years hasnt it, took their time finding a fault or have do they just not like the fact that after all the doubters it has been proved to work.

Thing's are constantly reviewed. The COMA report was back in 1987 and the obesity problem in the UK is now out of control.

CD have always reintroduced food every fifth week to comply with the COMA recommendations.

"VLCD may be used for a maximum of 12 weeks continuously, or intermittently with a low-cal diet (for example 2-4 days a week) if the person is obese and has reached a plateau in weight loss".

On the one hand this is a very positive statement about VLCD as an acknowledged treatment option - and one that reflects the effort put into increased understanding of the efficacy of our VLCD programme - but the 2-4 option of using a VLCD intermittently suggests a failure to understand the physiological mechanism which makes a nutritionally complete VLCD formuation work.

The involvement of Health Care Professionals is a major move forward for VLCD's and this guidance is aimed at them.

CD are in discussion with NICE and as said before all CDC's will be given full training in the programmes around June time.

Up until then as far as CD is concerned, cannot speak for LL as we are completely seperate companies, everything remains the same.

Linda

Back