Milk

Starlight

Gold Member
Ok so I know, I know, were not meant to have milk but really I cant get used to black coffee at all and as for black tea? UGH! Im struggling most at work, does anyone take a drop of milk in their coffee etc and has it affected ketosis?

Hi Starlight - I can't drink without either - once I know I'm in ketosis I have a splash of skimmed milk - did it before when I did Cambridge and still lost around a stone a month (10lbs in week 1) and I am doing it this time too - but am also having some conventional foods too on advice as I am still breastfeeding. I am sure you will still have excellent losses and any effect would be minimal - I suppose the only way to know would be to try and if it weakened your resolve or had a huge impact on ketosis you would have to cut it backout x P.S your losses are amazing

I hate black coffee too Starlight....am hanging on for a couple more replies and then I'm legging it down the co-op for some skimmed :stickdance:

I'm trying really hard not to as I looooove White coffee so much. One taste and I'll wake up the next morning surrounded by paper Starbucks cups with a massive venti skinny caramel macchiato with 2 extra shots of sugar free vanilla hangover lol!!!
I'm currently drinking lots of red bush tea. It's an acquired taste but in my opinion much closer to tea with milk than anything else!

I have one cup of tea every night with a little bit milk. I hate black tea/coffee. Im still in ketosis but guess everyone may be diffrent x

From my atkins days I know a splash of thin cream is okay. Maybe not so much calorie wise but I think that cream doesn't have the milk sugar in it? I suppose try a little milk if you get ravenous you know you probably should lay off it

whole milk has slightly lower carb content than skimmed milk
4.7g and 5g respectively per 100 ml
soya milk (unsweetened) has even fewer carbs at 0.6g per 100 ml

so is a better option it is also high in protein
just remember to allow liquids to cool slightly before adding the soya milk

Oooh yeah, I used to get soya milk because it was lower in carbs! Wasnt too keen in tea but nice in coffee!

That's so weird...skimmed milk has more carbs :eek: am disappointed though as I was looking forward to a splash in my coffee...also think maybe black coffee will stain my teeth more :rolleyes:

yuck @ iced tea :eek: but had another thought....what about Coffee mate lite? any thoughts? :)

I don't drink tea or coffee so can't offer any advice, sorry....... bit of a pointless reply really x

i love coffee mate.. going to have to go shop and see whats in it lol

i'm sure some people on the cd forum add a little vanilla shake powder to their coffee... maybe that would work? :)

200ml of skimmed milk is only 80 cals and will not affect ketosis...I think it's one of the Cambridge plans :)

Hey - I've just leapt to the end of this thread, so if this has been said already, just ignore more... but the reason Atkins say no to milk (working on ketosis principles too) is because of the lactose, which knocks you out. Cream isn't as bad (I assume, as it is allowed on Atkins).

I wouldn't recommend adding anything as it becomes easy to start looking at things to cheat with, finding ways to justify things. It's not forever, you just have to do without and think about how fab you are going to look/feel when you reach your goal! Head down, and plough on! :)

Coffee wise, I used to add coffee to my vanilla LL shakes and make a creamy latte type thing, blasted in the microwave. Certainly fills a craving! ;)

A x

Just rmember the cambridge plans are completely different. SS on cambridge is only 424 calories a day whereas we are already on 600. I sometimes have the tiniest splash of milk in tea but wouldnt have it in that quantity large enough to knock you out of ketosis.

As suggested tho, a spoon of coffee in your vanilla shake is fab and tastes like a really creamy latte (yum)

Back