Miller2's Favourite Recipes

My hubby likes the steak and ale pie cos he gets the rest of the beer!

Thanks for posting this Hannah :) could I use frozen pineapple instead of tinned?

Not sure on the syns. You need the pineapple juice you see so I'd use tinned for that anyway. Even frozen pineapple if it's free will be syns if cooked. I have done it before with tinned pineapple and fresh pineapple. I've used the juice from the tinned and then thrown the fresh pineapple in before serving. That lowers the syns but costs more to do (and wastes the actual pineapple from the tin too). I normally just syn it and use a tin. Still way lower than the Chinese takeaway anyway!

Not sure on the syns. You need the pineapple juice you see so I'd use tinned for that anyway. Even frozen pineapple if it's free will be syns if cooked. I have done it before with tinned pineapple and fresh pineapple. I've used the juice from the tinned and then thrown the fresh pineapple in before serving. That lowers the syns but costs more to do (and wastes the actual pineapple from the tin too). I normally just syn it and use a tin. Still way lower than the Chinese takeaway anyway!

It's not about the syns, it's about the preservatives used in the canning process. I try to avoid like eating things like that generally...

You could always just buy a fresh pineapple and juice some. Or get pineapple juice carton (like fresh orange juice) and use that for the sauce and get one of those lunch box size fresh fruit tubs of pineapple to chuck in at the end maybe?

There are lots of ways around it, just wanted to check it didn't need to be tinned for anything specific before I started messing around with it! Thanks mate :)

LAMB TAGINE WITH COUSCOUS
MINESTRONE SOUP
PASTA PESTO
PENNE ARRABIATA
BEEF RAGU
CHICKEN AND PEARL BARLEY SOUP
BEEF MADRAS
SPANISH ORANGE CAKE
CHICKEN KIEV WITH GARLIC BUTTER
MINTED LAMB KEBABS
SWEET AND SOUR
STEAK AND ALE PIE

Just making a note of the recipes I've put on here so far so I know which ones I've already put in the various pages of this thread.

ROAST MEDITERRANEAN SOUP

This is a gorgeous syn free soup that really does taste like sunshine. It has a gorgeous bright orangy red colour to it and is a soup I do regularly.

INGREDIENTS

1 Small Butternut Squash
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
1 Large Red Onion
4 Tomatoes
2 Garlic Cloves
Juice of 1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper
Fry Light
1.2 Litres Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Chopped Fresh Basil

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan, Gas Mark 6.

Halve the squash and scoop out the seeds. Cut each half into chunks.
De-seed the peppers, and cut each half into chunks.
Peel the onion and cut into thick wedges.
Remove the stalks from the tomatoes and cut in half.

Arrange all the vegetables on a large, non-stick baking sheet or shallow roasting tin.
Peel the garlic and slice thinly. Sprinkle over the vegetables along with the lemon juice.
Spray lightly with fry light and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until tender.

Add all the vegetables and 425ml stock into a blender, and process for a few seconds until smooth.
Transfer to a large saucepan and stir in the remaining stock along with the chopped fresh basil. Heat through for 4-5 minutes until piping hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Parma Ham Chicken with Spicy Butternut Squash Wedges

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts
45g mozzarella per chicken breast (hex a)
Parma Ham/Prosciutto (2 slices per chicken breast) = 1 syn
Butternut Squash
Schwartz Piripiri shake

Slice the chicken breast down the middle but not through to the other side. From this slice, cut to the left and right too creating pouches. Stuff 45g of mozzarella into the pouch. Wrap each breast with 2 slices of Parma Ham/Prosciutto. Put in the oven at about 200*C.

Peel and deseed the Butternut squash and chop into wedges. Put a small shrinking of Piripiri shake on them, spray with freight and add to the oven (or air fryer if you have one).

Once the chicken is cooked and the wedges have gone tender and started to brown, scoff the lot!

Nice with wilted spinach too.

Parma Ham Chicken with Spicy Butternut Squash Wedges

Ingredients:
Chicken breasts
45g mozzarella per chicken breast (hex a)
Parma Ham/Prosciutto (2 slices per chicken breast) = 1 syn
Butternut Squash
Schwartz Piripiri shake

Slice the chicken breast down the middle but not through to the other side. From this slice, cut to the left and right too creating pouches. Stuff 45g of mozzarella into the pouch. Wrap each breast with 2 slices of Parma Ham/Prosciutto. Put in the oven at about 200*C.

Peel and deseed the Butternut squash and chop into wedges. Put a small shrinking of Piripiri shake on them, spray with freight and add to the oven (or air fryer if you have one).

Once the chicken is cooked and the wedges have gone tender and started to brown, scoff the lot!

Nice with wilted spinach too.

Attachments

• 1409832895064.jpg
    1409832895064.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 101
Have you tried not peeling the BNS. I naver to whether for chips or soup. Extra fibre and you don`t know the skin is there when eating it. Just a thought.

Lovely recipe, will defo try that one. Thanks

Didn't know you could eat the skin must admit. It seems so thick and tough when you peel it I thought it would go like leather. Will try with it on next time cos it is a pain in the bum to peel!

Hannah I have never peeled butternut squash. The skin gives lots of fibre. I have had it in soup and roasted.
It is very touch to peel I agree. What some people do is put it in the microwave till it goes a bit soft, some cook it whole in the oven then dig the flesh out.

You`ll notice on Petes food thread that he leaves the skin on. Give it a try next time. So much easier....

Last edited:
Roast Tomato and Basil Soup (syn free and also a meal on the SP plan)

This is best done the day before as the flavours develop and it's gorgeous!

Ingredients

900g ripe tomatoes
Fry light
1 tsp dried oregano
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
700ml vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Method

Arrange the tomatoes on a baking tray, spray them lightly with low fry light and sprinkle with the oregano. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas 6 for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften and the skins begin to char.
Meanwhile place the onion and garlic in a large, heavy-based saucepan with 300ml of the stock. Cover the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Peel and chop the roasted tomatoes and add to the cooked onion mixture in the pan along with the remaining stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Return the soup back to the pan, season to taste (I didn't feel it needed salt and pepper though) and add the basil. Reheat the soup if necessary.
Tip: Suitable for freezing.

SWEET AND SOUR
6.5 syns for whole dish - serves 4 - so lets round up and say 2 syns per serving.

This really tastes just like from the chinese!

Ingredients:
1 White onion, peeled and cut into lengths
1 tbsp cornflour
300ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp soy sauce
Mange Tout
Green and Yellow Pepper
Baby Sweetcorn
Tinned Pineapple chunks in juice
Malt Vinegar
1 tbsp sweetener
Salt and Pepper to taste
Meat of your choice

1. Mix together the tomato puree, soy sauce, 3 tbsp of the pineapple juice (1.5 syns), malt vinegar and sweetener. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Using frylight fry the meat (chicken I prefer) until cooked in a large pan or wok.
3. Add the onion and pepper and lightly fry.
4. Pour in the sauce and keep stirring.
5. Mix the cornflour (3.5 syns) into a paste with 1 tbsp of water. Add to the sauce along with the stock. Bring to the boil and stir constantly.
6. Reduce the heat to low, add the baby corn and simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the mange tout for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add 50g of pineapple chunks (1.5 syns) just before serving - if you add them before and cook them then it will be more syns.

This sounds delicious! I'm going to try it when OH is at gym tomorrow as he's not a fan of sweet & sour :-/ weirdo! X

Back