MiM's & flaxseed recipes

Great news! Well, for me anyway...

I went back to H&B and got some different flax seed. I was wrong, this stuff is really nice! I think the cocoa flavoured stuff I got last time was just too bitter.

This time I bought Linwoods pre-milled flax, almonds, brazil nuts and walnuts + Q10.

Really nice. 16g fat and 1g carbs per 30g serving.

This stuff is going to transform my diet.

God bless this thread and all your respective input!

My local H+B doesn't sell this version only a dark version -

HB083440_R_H200W000.gif

Which i've only really grown to like cooked with cinnamon n cream on top.

I've just ordered the one with nuts in and the cocoa with berries version. I'm guessing both are ok carb wise for you to have used them previously as i can't seem to find what they contain on the H+B website.

They've got an offer on the H+B website atm, buy one get one half-price so i've got the two packs and £1.99 delivery for just over ten quid. Going to have enough flax to feed the five thousand lol!! Not long bought a new pack of the dark stuff too.

Hey Quak,

Yeah I know what you mean - I love eggs, but not in food that shouldn't taste eggy! Have you tried any other binding agents beyond eggs?

Hi Claire! I think all the Linwoods Flax seed packs low carb though I think there was one with noticeably higher carbs - possibly the one with pumpkin seeds in. Know what you mean about stocking up - I'm off to H&B tomorrow night to do the same! :D

Just egg whites (I guess less eggy than the yolk?) but I haven't got round to trying yet (wanted to see if I could get a carton of egg whites).

I've never baked in my life tho so I don't know if egg whites are strong enough on their own...will find out as soon as poss tho! :D

Hi Michael,
DH has started making flaxmeal bread for us (using yeast rather baking soda). Makes the savory ones taste more real & somehow less eggy. Not sure if there is recipe on here yet - I know he did some experiments with/without splenda as you have to feed the yeast so will have a look. I definitely like the outcome and treat myself to the odd sandwich

PS his next experiment is with almond flour & using oven rather than m/wave to golden them up. There were gorgeous looking cupcakes waiting for me when I got home last night but unfortunately I'd already had my carb allowance for the day - will leave room tonight:)

Toasted Mim breakthrough

As toasting the Mim hasn't been a great success (even with toastie bags), and my grill doesn't work, it suddenly occurred to me that I could panfry the Mim slices in a teeny bit of oil - and it was very nice, more evenly browned and not oily at all.

Might try it with basil oil next time!

Yummy Susie - I would never think of frying mim! :D

Hi Kat1e, thanks for the tip! I'd have said thanks but my thanks buttons have disappeared! :)

Yes mim eggy bread fried is lush :)

Mim sort of biscuit ish thingy lol

125g Linwoods Flax with sunflower, pumpkin and sesame seeds and goji berries.
90g grated cheddar (or any cheese you like really)
1/4 tsp salt
ground pepper - as much or little as you like
4 fluid oz water (or thereabouts)
dribble of olive oil

mix all ingredients together and spoon onto baking parchment - I have one of those reuseable black sheets - they are great. Flatten down a bit into biscuit shapes but not too thin. Gas 6 till brown and cheese melted and beginning to crisp up on edges. Once cooled they will hold a covering of whatever you care to put on them :)
I really like them as I have struggled with savory mims, they just were not hitting the spot - but these do :D

I made 18 from the above mix and they work out at just over 0.6 per biscuit so you can have 5 of them for 3 carbs :D

You can even eat them on their own, they don't need anything else but are useful if you want to slap something good on them lol

Bren APPROX how long do they take to do? They sound fab. :)

about 20 minutes ish - you just have to keep an eye on them, ovens vary so much! I had one earlier spread with philly - twas very nice, they have gone softer rather than crispier - I suppose if you made them thinner they might go crisper but I quite like the texture as they are.

How long do mims last if put in an air tight container?

Back