Flax and almond 'cake' :D:D

2 cups of golden flax meal
200g ground almonds
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of water
3 teaspoons of splenda
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons of softened unsalted butter

Mix well together in large bowl to combine ingredients and bake in a lined cake tin until golden brown and firm to the touch (I baked mine for 20 mins in fan assisted oven).

This recipe can be adapted for sweetness to suit personal choice, I dont like anything too sweet since doing Atkins and suited me fine, if you have a sweet tooth just add more splenda, or you could add ginger or cinnamon as a variation.

Quite a basic recipe, but I just tried adding 2/3 drops of vanilla extract/flavouring to a bowl of flax porridge. I was using the Cocoa flavoured flax from Holland and Barrett. I thought it was really nice. Also added some Splenda. I think I'll buy some other extracts tomorrow to test. Probably orange flavour next. nom nom nom...

My Birthday cake - A MiM for each layer.

I'm not sure how much cream is in it as I dropped half of the cream on the floor! The floor is now very slippy.

I'm not sure if I should admit what i cooked it in - but I assure you that I used boiling water to clean the cat's ceramic milk dish before I put the mix in it!!! It was just a perfect size!!

WOW!!!! that looks amazing!!!!! WOW!!! x x

Hi. Just want to ask a question. How many carbs are in your brand of linseed/ flax meal per 100g? H&B golden linseed state 34.25g per 100g...is this ok? Now my maths is shocking so bear with! 10g = 3.4g so 30g = 10.2g. Is this right? total carbs for a mim seem pretty high if you add cocoa and splenda (assuming you are going to eat a choc one!...which I want to later). Have I missed something or should you only eat these on OWL??

Sorry if I come across as a dumb arse...its coz i can be sometimes:)

That seems fairly high? The H&B Lindwoods Cocoa/Nut ones are about 1g carbs per 30g serving?

I've never looked at any of the unmilled ones though so can't really help any further, sorry :)

Unless this is a us package of some kind - then i suppose it might still have the fibre in it? Can you see if it shows the fibre as a subset of the carbs (us style) or separately (uk style)

Hey michael - like the pic:)

Hi. Just want to ask a question. How many carbs are in your brand of linseed/ flax meal per 100g? H&B golden linseed state 34.25g per 100g...is this ok? Now my maths is shocking so bear with! 10g = 3.4g so 30g = 10.2g. Is this right? total carbs for a mim seem pretty high if you add cocoa and splenda (assuming you are going to eat a choc one!...which I want to later). Have I missed something or should you only eat these on OWL??

Sorry if I come across as a dumb arse...its coz i can be sometimes:)
I am dumb!! Moved decimal only one place not 2...so 30g does work out at just over 1g.

Hey michael - like the pic:)

Thanks! :) I figured it was about time to put a pic of myself up, it's only taken me 5 months or so!

How many carbs are in your brand of linseed/ flax meal per 100g? H&B golden linseed state 34.25g per 100g...is this ok?

Hi Sorcha - I checked with H&B - it's a labelling mistake, the golden and brown linseeds are the same, 0.7 carbs per 100g :)

Nice pic Michael :)

Cheers Lady! :)

Hi Sorcha - I checked with H&B - it's a labelling mistake, the golden and brown linseeds are the same, 0.7 carbs per 100g :)

Blimey that a big difference! Ive taken a few photos of linseed Ive got. thanks for your reply though lady felsham:)

Also a photo of the very large choc Mim I have just eaten for my dinner...Yummy and 100ml of cream on top too!! Do like my cream:D Very filling and maybe I should have only eaten half...
Made it with 20g each of ground linseed,ground almonds,cocoa powder and butter -1/2tsp baking powder -2 1/2 tsp of splenda- 1 egg beaten- 2 tbsp of soya milk. Probably a bit too much mixture...but oh so lovely. I worked it out with the cream to be around 5g of carbs ( prob over estimated as still not sure on linseed carbs)

Attachments

• IMG011.jpg
    IMG011.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG012.jpg
    IMG012.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG005.jpg
    IMG005.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 209
Yumm just tried the rich chocolate MiM. Thanks for that one :)

Since i discovered that i had a cupboard full of flax packets, thought it would be useful to capture all the carb details in one place. So here we go:

Flex flaxseed (organic milled) - nil carbs :) 2.49/425g pack from local healthfood store
Linsuit organic flaxseed (premium milled golden) - (35-32) ie net 3c/100g, 4.99/450g pack from local health store (seems to have canadian labelling?)
Linwoods flaxseed (milled organic) - 1.7c/100g, 5ish pounds per pack holland and barret, sometimes special offers
Linwoods milled flaxseed cocoa and berries - 3.7c/100 h&b
Linwoods flaxseed almonds brazil nuts walnuts and q10 - 3.2 c/100 h&b

So to summarise
Buy the flex if you can get your hands on it, since No carbs and good value:)
Use all the others depending on taste and texture you fancy!

How does the Flex flax taste? Any different from Linwoods milled? Will keep an eye out for it! :D

Hmm - if linwoods (standard dark) is quite nutty and chewy and linsuit golden is lighter and a bit sweeter, then flex is in the middle. I actually prefer it to the linwoods now.

Thanks! A teaspoon of splenda and I'm sure it'll be grand.

i don't understand how different brands can have different values, if they are just ground flax? do they have other ingredients too?

I think its to do with the fibre and indeed for some of them by the other ingredients. For the flex one its basically all fibre - on their website they are very proud of their special process to lose none of the fibre in processing/ milling!

Back