MiM's & flaxseed recipes

Hey guys, just thought i'd share some info about stuff i've bought today!

In Tesco, I found 300g bags of Linusit Organic Milled Flaxseed (golden) for £3.99
Also, in Asda, I found 200g bags of not-ground (whole) Flaxseeds for 99p!! What a bargain!!

Going to try MIM for the first time tonight. Excited!!
Sam :)

Hi! MIMs are wonderful.

The Asda whole linseed is 99p for 100g, not 200g (alas!).

Where abouts are the seeds in asda I have never found them there. Would be nice not to have to go into town everytime I need some, mims are lush :)

My local asda is the superstore in Pudsey and the seeds are on the aisle with the "Free From" food. x

Flaxseed

Hi Kat1e, can you tell me where you obtain the Flex Flaxseed from please, as nil carbs obviously I am interested, thanks, Deb ;)

Flaxseed Biscuit thing

Dear Quak, I have just made your version of the above with the Linwoods flax, sunflower, sesame seeds and goji berries and they are lovely, definaely for putting on cheese, ham etc but I have two questions please;
Have you ever made them without cheese and with sweetener to make them more of a "biscuit" ?
Do you mind if I share this recipe with another forum?, many thanks, Deb xx

debpet said:
Hi Kat1e, can you tell me where you obtain the Flex Flaxseed from please, as nil carbs obviously I am interested, thanks, Deb ;)

Hi deb. My local healthfood sells the flex. Look out for a gold pack - not sure if it's generally available

Hi all, stupid question really but if I make a MIM to use as a toast alternative would I still use the splenda? I know if I am going savoury to exchange the cinnamon and splenda for herbs etc just wondering when used as a basic bread alternative, I have bought my Flaxmeal and baking powder I am just really apprehensive about making one as I so don't want to dislike it IYKWIM:sigh:
Thanks

Hi I never use spenda as don't like after taste. For sweet I mix some vanilla shake mix in. For savory just leave plain. The darker flax does have quite a strong flavour tho so you will have to experiment to see what you like. I also recommend flax bread made with golden flax and dried yeast - mega
:)

Thanks for that, I made one with splenda last night and a touch of vanilla essense and though not at all sweet it was lovely, it had a wholemeal bread taste and texture which is really what I was after, I will leave out the essense and splenda with my next one, after making one your mind goes wild with all the things you could do with one ha ha

Dear Quak, I have just made your version of the above with the Linwoods flax, sunflower, sesame seeds and goji berries and they are lovely, definaely for putting on cheese, ham etc but I have two questions please;
Have you ever made them without cheese and with sweetener to make them more of a "biscuit" ?
Do you mind if I share this recipe with another forum?, many thanks, Deb xx

No I haven't - please let us know how you get on if you decide to experiment :)

Share away :)

I don't have any golden linseed ready ground in my shops. HAve any of you used a coffee grinder on it, my little blender does not crush it?

I think a lot of people here use coffee grinders to blend/grind their flaxseed so if you've got one I don't think you'll have any problems!

Have you not got a Holland and Barrett around your way? That's where I get my pre-milled/ground flax from (I'm lazy).

I do have a holland and barret yes, but they only sell pre milled brown linseed, I prefere the golden. Anyway, I have bought a little coffee grinder so that will save me money in the long run too as it is chaeper to buy the unrefined seeds.

Linwoods flax, sesame, pumpkin and goji berries

Hi Everyone, I have just made some biscuits using the above. I melted some butter and added it to the mix with some sweetener and vanilla essence and they taste quite nice. Has anyone else got any recipe aides for the above?, thanks, Deb x:wave_cry:

Hi Susie, promised I'd post this - better late than never :D

Flax bread

Dissolve one teaspoon Splenda in 80ml bowl warm (40C) water.
Sprinkle on 1 sachet quick yeast.
Leave for ~10 mins to get bubbly.
Mix 1 cup golden flax meal with 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Beat 3 eggs with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Add egg mixture to flax and mix well.
Add yeast mixture and mix well.
Put into silicon loaf tin (or other)
Leave for 10 mins to rise a bit.
Cook in microwave for ~5 mins.
When you turn it out, should be more or less dry on the bottom. If
not, I usually microwave upside down for another minute.

Treat as normal loaf of bread ie slice when needed- makes great very filling sandwiches - and lasts me a couple of days. Doesn't have that eggy flavour of mims

These sound great, will have to get the ingrediants in and give them a go! I tried the oopsies but didnt like them at all!

xx

Hi everyone. I'm only on my second day of Atkins but I was already panicking because I cant handle eggs for breakfast everyday, I love eggs but.. everyday makes me feel sick just to think of them! So I made do with celery and hummus this morning (hope I can eat hummus in phase 1?) Anyway now I found this thread!! Yahoo! And better still I just found 'broken linseed' in the supermarket ! I am so happy :) I feel like a whole world of possibilities has opened up :)

One question - I dont have a microwave, can I cook the MiM's in the oven in a muffin tin or something?

Suzy

Back