Mince

*angela*

Silver Member
Hello :)

Advice muchly needed please... i made chilli for dinner last night and only when i got home did i realise i bought normal mince instead of extra lean mince - silly me!!!

I tried to sort it as best i could so cooked the mince, drained the fat in a sieve and rinsed the meat while in the sieve with water before cleaning the saucepan and returning the meat back in it to cook. Should i still count syns for it?

Thanks in advance :)

x

*angela* said:

Advice muchly needed please... i made chilli for dinner last night and only when i got home did i realise i bought normal mince instead of extra lean mince - silly me!!!

I tried to sort it as best i could so cooked the mince, drained the fat in a sieve and rinsed the meat while in the sieve with water before cleaning the saucepan and returning the meat back in it to cook. Should i still count syns for it?

x

Yes you need to syn it, as you can't 'wash' the fat away! It's only extra lean mince that is syn free :)

Gutted :( any idea how many syns it would be for 500g?

Less than 12% fat - raw is 2.5 syns per 100g
Less than 20% fat - raw is 6.5 syns per 100g
More than 20% fat - raw is 9 syns per 100g

Washing it does not wash away the syns (sounds biblical!) - I actually prefer lean, it's low syn and tastier!

Oh bloody hell... big mistake then that i wont be repeating :/

Thanks for the info :)

x

I know exactly what you mean - I used to do this ..... the cold water simply makes the residual fat (after straining most off) rise to the top and you scoop it off. As a one-off, I personally wouldn't worry about synning it - you'd never know how much fat you'd actually strained & scooped off and it could actually end up having less fat content than X Lean. You certainly have a lot less flavour :wave_cry: Just live & learn.

Also, can't remember who tipped me off (without searching) but I don't buy mince anymore - I use the de-fatted Soya Mince (Neale's Yard) from H&B. It's totally free and at £1.65, the bag makes a good 14 + servings.

Back