Mind/Body Image

georgiasmum

I an feeling all confused about what i look like today. It is hard to shake off the 'I'm a big girl' mentality. I had a manicure and a pedicure today (indulgent I know...) and the salon owner kept going on about how much I've lost and how good I look etc etc. I still have about 4.5 stone to go and I find it hard to get a realitic picture of what i look like now when in my head I know i am still overweight and need to lose the last rather large chunk of lard.

You see, I still see a fat, plain and ordinary girl and I know that she isn't there anymore but her image won't go away.:rolleyes: :confused:

georgiasmum said:
I an feeling all confused about what i look like today. It is hard to shake off the 'I'm a big girl' mentality. I had a manicure and a pedicure today (indulgent I know...) and the salon owner kept going on about how much I've lost and how good I look etc etc. I still have about 4.5 stone to go and I find it hard to get a realitic picture of what i look like now when in my head I know i am still overweight and need to lose the last rather large chunk of lard.

You see, I still see a fat, plain and ordinary girl and I know that she isn't there anymore but her image won't go away.:rolleyes: :confused:

GM - I think there are a lot of us in that place.

I have lost over 8 stone, but although it is obvious to me that I have lost a lot of bulk, I still see a little fat bloke looking back at me in the mirror each morning.

The difference is, I like that little fat bloke now.

It could be a simple as our brain not be able to catch up with the rapid rate of weight loss and over time, it will adjust itself.

Or perhaps after years of thinking very little of ourselves, we are finding it hard to self congratulate and recognise what we have achieved.

Take care

Hi georgiasmum,

Now that I have the five stone off for a good few months, I find I now see myself as is...

But I know when I get back to SSing again and the weight comes off fast I will go through the same thing you are just now.

It can be very confusing all right.

Good to spoil yourself with healthy treats that don't gain weight...

Love Mini xxx

Hi Georgiasmum,

To get back to the weight I was for years 110/112lbs...I would need to lose about four and half stone...from now.

Realistically...I would be over the moon to be nine stone...from here ten stone looks really good.

I am having a fat head day today...I feel I look enormous...lack of exercise my 'buddha belly' is back and not happy with it...:(

Love Mini xxx

Mini said:
I am having a fat head day today...I feel I look enormous...lack of exercise my 'buddha belly' is back and not happy with it...:(

Love Mini xxx

I'm in fat head mode today, hence keeping my head down. Trying to be more positive but just feel the size of a house :(

This is something dear to my heart - as it were - cos I always feel as if I take up exactly the same space in the universe as I've always done.
It's only getting into smaller sizes and feeling my ribcage and bony shoulders that makes me believe that my shape has actually changed - oh that and being flung up into the air by an Irish stag party member on the last Vodka Frenzy! lol

I wonder if it's something that will always stay with me?

Hey Izzy

It is always something that you will have...its much like alcoholics - once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic! The difference, however, is whether you are a drunk one or a sober one.

We are much the same with our food and weight issues....the difference is our perception of it as we become more aware and "grown". Just because it held us captive in the past, it does not have to continue to have that hold on is...so changing your thoughts and perceptions on the issues will change the way you feel about them and their grip will be loosened.

Often, "thin" people that have issues are those that had a previous weight problem either as youngsters or through weight loss but did not reconcile their issues for whatever reason....remember, there are those amongst us who firmly believe that "if you eat too much you get fat and that's all there is to it! What "head stuff" do you keep prattling on about????" ;)

We all have a fantastic opportunity to truly maintain a balanced and healthy weight because we realise that our mind and body works in tandem.

Back