Minerva; Confessions of a Food Addict.

Been avoiding this place a bit... Thankful for you guys stopping by though. :)

Guess I've run myself into some stress, and on top of that both my boyfriend and my dad are pressuring me about my weight and eating. ... My boyfriend keeps telling me to eat more, and me being a completely stubborn mule not liking that approach. I know he means well. I know he is right. But I hate being told what to do...! ....
My dad is taking the logic approach, thinking I have some sort of eating disorder and in a managerial sense asking me 'how to move forward to resolve the issue'... well, all is very well... and in some sick twisted way I think I got what I wanted - the only way to ever get my dad's attention is through doing something wrong. Nothing my sister or I ever have done well has been good enough for his praise or for him to be proud of us... the only way to get him to say anything at all or show any emotion seems to have been by doing things that worry him. At least now 'I'm thin' enough, because up 'til now he'd still say I could lose a bit more.

Counting my calories is not healthy. Even when I try to up them in a 'controlled' way it goes out of the window. There were a few weeks where somehow I managed to have on average about 500 calories per day as a way to prove to myself that I could push myself that far.
So starting monday I will not be recording them. I will be ... 'managing' on my own without any markers so to speak. Without the numbers. ... it's scary to go and do it on my own. ... but I think I have to. I need to let go and give ME the control. Up to this point the numbers were in control, and I was too scared to let go of that crutch.
I've found myself quite close to 'underweight' BMI now. I don't want to look in the mirror anymore because I don't like what I see. It scares me. I looked at my back today, and I could see my entire ribcage through. I still "feel" fat somehow, and I can't see how thin I am sometimes. But when I'm wearing size 8 trousers and even they are loose as anything, I think it's time to stop.

Going out to the stormy sea on my own on Monday. We'll see how that goes. ... I hope the boat doesn't sink.....

Last edited:
Minerva that is a really emotional and honest post. In a similar but different way, I understand what you are saying about getting your Dad's attention although for me, it is my Mum.

I wish you all the very best with "managing" yourself as from Monday and taking back some of that control for you and I hope the sea is not too stormy and that the boat floats throughout.

I feel really touched by your post.

Kat xx

hi min
hoping it goes well for you - i'm worried about you hun - your bmi is very low now
at least you seem to have a grip on the reasons behind it

don't disappear on us please

(((((((hugs)))))))
daisy x

Lots of Hugs Min. You need to put yourself first - and this time it means working at putting on a few pounds.

I'm a little scared for you hon. Can you get your boyfriend to cook for you a couple of times a week - and not worry about what he has put into the pot? Or get a full fat takeaway once a week?

Maybe have some one to one sessions with your old LLC or another counsellor to work out better strategies for coping with the issues you are now aware of.

Do keep posting here only if it helps, but I am very relieved to hear from you. xxx

Hey Min

So pleased to hear from you. I had some suspicions as to why you were away :/ I am managing to up the cals a bit, still have a complete mental breakdown when I do, but seem to be maintaining for the last week or 2. Realistically I would like another kg or 2 off before Xmas as my family will be down and I do want to indulge a little, so wonder if this is forward planning in a sensible way or just me being silly. But there is no way I plan on starting the new year over a size 8!!!! Glad to hear you will stop the cal counting. I find that it does cause me some head problems too when I see how much things are. If it makes a difference for you, please let me know and perhaps I will stop logging everything that goes into my mouth.

I know what you mean about needing to make your dad proud and get his attention. Our relationships with parents are not always easy. I wish you the best my lovely, and you are so often in my thoughts, will send you a pm regarding something else. Looking forward to hearing from you soon hun, keep posting if it helps. And I am only at the other end of a phone if ya need a chat.

Big hugs on this very chilly Sunday - wrap up warm

Jez
xx

Good to hear from you Min, even though we all suspected you might be staying away for a reason. I'm sending you positive wishes for Monday for what it's worth. Also to echo another comment, you might get a lot out of one to one counselling. Wouldn't do any harm to give it some thought. Take care...:)

Nothing I can add that hasn't been said, but wanted to know I was thinking of you /wave /hug

hey min hope everything is settled now and going well
(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

katalena said:
Minerva that is a really emotional and honest post. In a similar but different way, I understand what you are saying about getting your Dad's attention although for me, it is my Mum.

I wish you all the very best with "managing" yourself as from Monday and taking back some of that control for you and I hope the sea is not too stormy and that the boat floats throughout.

I feel really touched by your post.

Kat xx

Parents are such strange things I suppose… I didn’t grow up with my dad, and grew up with my grandparents after my mum passed away at the age of 4… so it’s always been a battle to prove myself to an idolised image of my father who I respect immensely, but neither of us really know how to act around each other. I can’t even begin to imagine what your relationship with your mum is like, I hope you are finding that with time it gets easier to resolve issues surrounding the difficulties… after all we both need to remember that no matter what; our parents do care very deeply about our well being – they just don’t quite know how to show it in a way that is appropriate to our individual needs… which sometimes may be wholeheartedly selfish, because, parents as people have their own emotional needs too. :) … It needs to be a two-way conversation and listening is just as important as getting heard.
Hope you aren’t finding RTM *too* scary, never be afraid and never doubt yourself… I know you’ll do well!

daisydoll said:
hi min
hoping it goes well for you - i'm worried about you hun - your bmi is very low now
at least you seem to have a grip on the reasons behind it

don't disappear on us please

(((((((hugs)))))))
daisy x

Hey Daisy :) Don’t be too worried, I’m still alive and kicking! It’s funny how little we need to *survive*, however, I do realise now, surviving isn’t the name of the game. Living is. Making the right choices. And slowly I do plan to take back the control of the situation even though the steps I’m taking are rather scary. … Still, I am the type to jump off the cliff rather than dipping my toes over the edge forever. I’ll have a look over the edge, get the best trajectory for the jump and then after about a minute go for it. After all… sitting in the dark isn’t going to get us anywhere. :D
How are you finding this ‘maintenance’ stuff? I hope you are not stressing out too much, how is the running coming along? You must have come down off the high of ‘finishing LL’ by now, so now I suppose that realisation that this sort of lifestyle change needs to be much more long term… I don’t mean that pessimistically at all, but, I guess this is when reality of life has to descend upon us all. Plus the dark winter months don’t help, since the rightful animalistic instinct within us all is going to be sending us towards the fridge to pile on a few pounds in preparation of the cold, dark months ahead. I’m fighting mine at the moment! :D

thin_inside said:
Lots of Hugs Min.
You need to put yourself first - and this time it means working at putting on a few pounds.

I'm a little scared for you hon. Can you get your boyfriend to cook for you a couple of times a week - and not worry about what he has put into the pot? Or get a full fat takeaway once a week?

Maybe have some one to one sessions with your old LLC or another counsellor to work out better strategies for coping with the issues you are now aware of.

Do keep posting here only if it helps, but I am very relieved to hear from you. xxx

Heheh, I took your suggestion on board… with the decision to stop counting (TODAY!), I’ve asked him to cook! And you have no idea how happy he is to do it! Lol, he loves to cook, and because of my needy counting of every morsel for the last few months I hadn’t let him. He dutifully laid out all the ingredients out on the counter and is taking the evening off from his computer game! :D

As for the full-fat takeaway… I did that for my anniversary meal a couple of weeks ago, we had a lovely Indian, but even while I was watching the quantity of what I ate, I felt I had a normal size portion, the food was way too rich for me, and I seriously suffered because I’m just not used to so much oil, sugar and salt and what-not in one go. It wasn’t an unhealthy dish either, so I need to watch this one for a little while…! My stomach can’t handle it! :)
I’d been considering going to see my LLC, but I know she isn’t very well equipped as a counsellor… she is a food caterer in her day-job role, and, I think like quite a few LLC’s out there, does LL as a franchise on the back of literally just the experience she is getting through her clients. She is a lovely lady, but as far as counselling goes, she isn’t a professional. … And we all need to remember this fact, the final word of the LLC is actually usually only as ever good as any of ours on this board. Sometimes it’s opinion, and sometimes it’s just what the ‘central bureaucratical’ Lighter Life advisory board has to say.
And yes, you are right… something I didn’t think I’d ever hear on this particular forum: but I WANT to gain about a stone back! I don’t feel right being on the brink of ‘Underweight’ BMI, I don’t feel good. Plus being absolutely frozen the whole time isn’t nice either.
Of course, not all in one go, and not completely intentionally.. I know I’ll gain a bit once I start upping my cals and my body re-adjusts to a normal daily intake... But even after I gain this stone back (hopefully fairly slowly), I’ll still have a ‘safety box’ of about a stone before it starts getting a bit close to my original “target” weight. … The important thing of course for me to remember at all times of course is that this large box is not an excuse for ‘extras’… and I don’t think about it that way at all. It’s the wrong approach to the whole thing – this is the exact same thinking that gets people into trouble, especially if they do exercise… they overcompensate their ‘exercise’ regime with an extra chocolate “because they’d burnt it off” … well, no. Bank the success, why waste it?
How are you doing though? Are you getting ready for RTM? ;) Or dreading it? You have so little left to go, you must feel fab! :)

Jezebella said:
Hey Min

So pleased to hear from you. I had some suspicions as to why you were away :/ I am managing to up the cals a bit, still have a complete mental breakdown when I do, but seem to be maintaining for the last week or 2. Realistically I would like another kg or 2 off before Xmas as my family will be down and I do want to indulge a little, so wonder if this is forward planning in a sensible way or just me being silly. But there is no way I plan on starting the new year over a size 8!!!! Glad to hear you will stop the cal counting. I find that it does cause me some head problems too when I see how much things are. If it makes a difference for you, please let me know and perhaps I will stop logging everything that goes into my mouth.

Jez
xx

I’m glad you are managing to up the calories! I will report my week to you… when I hopefully see you on Saturday! (I’m quite excited!!)
The thing is – at the moment, you are still in RTM, and realistically after such a long period of abstinence I would suggest to you to keep on logging them. But – shift your focus from the NUMBER of calories per day, to the more important thing of : PORTION SIZE. Start tracking portion size VISUALLY, so that when you do stop counting and you start floating free from the safety net of Lighter Life, you will be able to gauge how much a healthy and ‘normal’ amount of food is just by looking at it. We in this country have run into trouble with our weight, not so much because of WHAT we eat, but because we’ve lost the ability to tell HOW MUCH we should be having.
As for Christmas – I was actually going to suggest something to you a couple of weeks back… I know that you and I are a little similar in our ways of needing to have some sort of control over situations. I was thinking, as an experiment – we don’t let Christmas be an “excuse” to overeat, because realistically there is never an excuse to pig out over such a long period of time! Remember the LL lessons over associations and expectations around food and tradition/RITUAL? I guess it’s breaking free of the idea that there is an expectation to over-indulge. While – we can have things that we wouldn’t usually have on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, we need to remember to remain in control over how MUCH we have. Exercise control away from numbers (because we can’t possibly count Christmas dinners! :D ). … You expressing wanting to lose another 2kg in “preparation” … well you are thinking about it all the wrong way – because you are saying that you are expecting yourself to over-do it already. You are saying that you are already expecting yourself to fail so you need to have the buffer. You need to go back and reread this message that you left me above and critically evaluate your relationship to YOURSELF – because it seems like you do not trust yourself.
I believe that the trust in the self is the first and foremost thing. Like I detailed above, I have very much recognised that I am still scared of the “fat-me” inside. I fear that she will take over once the control of numbers/discipline/routine goes away. … but this, I am challenging now. I am letting go of that crutch, and taking on the next phase where I am the only one responsible for my own actions. … and I think, both of us need to remember this. YOU are responsible for YOU. You will not fail if you don’t let yourself. Go into Christmas with a clear idea of what you want at the end of the festive season. After all, it is all what we make of it. :hug99:

Morticia said:
Good to hear from you Min, even though we all suspected you might be staying away for a reason. I'm sending you positive wishes for Monday for what it's worth. Also to echo another comment, you might get a lot out of one to one counselling. Wouldn't do any harm to give it some thought. Take care...

Hey Morticia… I wish I was as relaxed about things as you have proven yourself to be! As for the counselling, a big no to that one! I’d been through a few counsellors a few years ago due to other reasons and I’ve never found them helpful at all, so I stay away. :) I’ll get there myself somehow, some way. After all, the best way to learn ANYTHING in life is through personal trial-and-error. The key is never to give up and keep trying again. How are you getting on post-RTM? I read your blog and you seem fairly calm. The challenge however does come a couple of weeks after the ‘honeymoon’ period wears off and real life sets in. I remember I came off abstinence RTM right around Christmas and it was rather … lets’ say… interesting. :)

Gemma79 said:
Nothing I can add that hasn't been said, but wanted to know I was thinking of you /wave /hug
Heheheh, thank you! /tar Gemma79 …/cheer… /hug… lol. How’s Aeon? ;)
…could I get any more geeky in my response? Though I can safely say, only you will get the reference. … yes. Time to /facepalm.

hey min hope everything is settled now and going well
(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

Hee, thank you!... Things are going … ok so far I suppose, even though I’m absolutely frozen at the moment, sipping a huge cup of coffee! :) How are you doing? ;)

---

Hmmm… Today. … First day of not logging – it’s quite hard, because I’m still counting in my head, as I know rough amounts of calories in things from visual amounts. I did challenge myself to have a lunch at the University cafeteria, didn’t like their options of some dodgy cannelloni, or the macaroni cheese, so settled with a baked potato with baked beans… Had about a quarter of the potato and half the beans given to me with a large helping of salad. I still found myself limiting my portion, but this time I guess it was different in a sense. Now I am more concentrating on LISTENING TO MY BODY rather than listening to the NUMBERS as a controlling measure for the portion thing. … It’s an interesting shift of responsibility.
I was depriving myself and limiting my portions based on calorie numbers, but now I will take back control and actually listen again to what my stomach tells me – which is crucial in getting my relationship with food back to normal. If I can learn to manage my portion based on how I feel, rather than what some other measurement limits me to, then I can take this self-discipline into a long term goal of maintenance. The elimination of counting calories opens up my food choices to a wider spectrum of experimentation, and I am now, no longer going to deprive myself of anything that counts as ‘too high’ … or ‘bad’. … because realistically there is no such thing as ‘bad’ food (…well except the trans-fat laced deep fried horrors of chip-shops of course, or fast-food, and some ready-meals)… yes, as I was saying, there realistically is no ‘bad’ food. There is only a ‘bad attitude’ that can exist towards it. Just because someone serves me a piece of cake – I don’t have to eat all of it. The ball is ALWAYS in my court, I can taste some, or I can leave it. I can even have all of it on an occasion if I really want to. … I think that’s important. I need to be responsible for me.

We’ll see how tomorrow and the rest of the week goes… I hope my mind doesn’t spaz out. … eek. … My boyfriend’s cooking dinner, and hopefully I won’t feel too guilty after I’ve eaten some… as the guilt does drive me crazy.

haha min, hope you enjoyed dinner. I'm enjoying aion, different but similar to wow so quite refreshing. However the lvling is much harder, only lvl 30, cap is 50. Might pop back to see cataclysm, who knows. Hubby is loving aion.

Glad to see you are trying to up your calories, even if it doesn't feel like it, I have learnt so much from you, thank you for being you x

You expressing wanting to lose another 2kg in “preparation” … well you are thinking about it all the wrong way – because you are saying that you are expecting yourself to over-do it already. You are saying that you are already expecting yourself to fail so you need to have the buffer. .

My two penneth worth,

I have to disagree here. I think it is a perfectly healthy way to be thinking about it, having nothing to do with failure. Quite the opposite.

We have all worked hard to lose wieght. But that does not mean we will spend the rest of our lives eating only for the joy of being slim.....we can also eat to enjoy food.

No harm in enjoying a special holiday, or a trip, or a party, etc. Now and again.

And planning in advance is a superb management mechanism. It is something our LLC strongly impressed upon us.

What you are doing, preparing ahead of a holiday/event is exactly what you SHOULD be doing. It can be one of the keys to managing your weight. There will always be some events in life where food will be a big part of it. And if you want to take part in it - and enjoy it - why shouldn't you? If its an occassion - why not!? So you can do one of two things -

1. Plan ahead, cut back, even drop a pound or two in advance- then relax and enjoy what you planned to do, minimising any damage.

2. Relax and enjoy what you planned to do....and work hard afterward to minimise any damage.

Simples. :D

Nowt wrong with it. At all.
Food can be enjoyed, without it taking over our lives. And it shouuld be.

We just need to master the technique. ANd thats what we are all workin on.

i agree with you BL

my naturally slim friends do not deny themselves for special occasions

- having asked them how they stay so slim i now find out that some of them actually do have to work at it - they don't eat whatever they want all the time!

I think the difference for me tho, is that i have to work at pulling back the excesses whereas they just intuitaively/automatically always have done which is why they stay slim

daisy x

My two penneth worth,

I have to disagree here. I think it is a perfectly healthy way to be thinking about it, having nothing to do with failure. Quite the opposite.

We have all worked hard to lose wieght. But that does not mean we will spend the rest of our lives eating only for the joy of being slim.....we can also eat to enjoy food.

No harm in enjoying a special holiday, or a trip, or a party, etc. Now and again.

And planning in advance is a superb management mechanism. It is something our LLC strongly impressed upon us.

What you are doing, preparing ahead of a holiday/event is exactly what you SHOULD be doing. It can be one of the keys to managing your weight. There will always be some events in life where food will be a big part of it. And if you want to take part in it - and enjoy it - why shouldn't you? If its an occassion - why not!? So you can do one of two things -

1. Plan ahead, cut back, even drop a pound or two in advance- then relax and enjoy what you planned to do, minimising any damage.

2. Relax and enjoy what you planned to do....and work hard afterward to minimise any damage.

Simples. :D

Nowt wrong with it. At all.
Food can be enjoyed, without it taking over our lives. And it shouuld be.

We just need to master the technique. ANd thats what we are all workin on.

That is exactly how my LLC has explained things in my group and that is how I hope to plan for and enjoy those special times. Well said BL.

Kat xx

mind you having said all that its got to be whatever works for the individual
planning ahead is good - (even if that means planning not to eat something) that way you are in control and feel good about decisions

- rather than just thinking - 'well i've had such and such so sod it i'll carry on' ... or by feeling like you shouldn't have anything then feeling deprived - at least if you have planned not to you can feel in control

not sure all that makes sense, -it does in my head!

daisy x

What's the Girl Guide/Boy Scout motto?

Be Prepared.
That's what I'm trying to do.plan ahead.

I didn't mean it that way ... I didn't mean that comment negatively BL... ........... ugh, I always get misunderstood. :sigh: coupled together with being absolutely exhausted having had absolutely no sleep over the last month... and stressing out over this food thing ...

Blah. I'm not too fussed with the not counting... In fact it's fairly liberating because for quite a while I did feel ready to let go of the numbers and do it on my own. I know how to eat, how to manage my portions. I can take a mature 'adult' way of thinking about it in some way ...

But I do panic. I am panicking like crazy over every morsel that I do put in my mouth. Technically I'm not eating much, I don't finish what's on my plate because I stop when I feel like I should, and feel full. Before I go into every meal I reassure myself over and over, I tell myself *I AM IN CONTROL - NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO DO THIS* ... I try to make a point at least for now to have something from the University cafeteria because then I can't count the calories - I can't possibly know what's in it. It's healthy choices (of course)... but I guess I 'feel' fat, I feel like I'm going to gain everything back all in one go. .. this is scary. I know it's mostly purely in my head, but we all know what havoc 'fat days' wreak on us!

And all the time, I have to keep running through this in my head, knowing that no one else can force me to do anything, I am 100% responsible for my actions. Just because it's on my plate doesn't mean someone is forcing me to eat it all. I guess with the numbers it was safety, and I knew how much I could have without doing any damage. ... now I can't tell, and at least for now, I feel like I'm treading on very thin ice ...

I hope I make it through this eating thing... because studying is really taking it's toll!... stress, and I think I'm getting ill at exactly the wrong moment, I can't possibly stop now to get ill, I need to do this coursework !!! :sigh:

I just want to fall down and cry... because I'm so tired, and I need to keep going forward, I just tell myself I'll sleep when I'm dead, because I can't afford to right now! BLAH.

---

Ah yes... food today was fairly simple...
Cooked breakfast in the cafeteria... about half a hash brown (omg I haven't had them in forever?!), about 4 button mushrooms, some baked beans, a bit of bacon and about half of a fried egg.
Lunch consisted of half a spiced chicken leg, about a tablespoon of boiled rice and a big helping of salad, and half of a satsuma.
Dinner, prawn & mushroom cream sauce (made from a mini tub of philadelphia light and other stuffs) on a bed of couscous, vegetables and salad. ... and a Total 0% pot with frozen summer berries, and I cut up some dry apple and dry pear into it to up the calories... dry fruit is tasty...

Last edited:
My two penneth worth,

What you are doing, preparing ahead of a holiday/event is exactly what you SHOULD be doing.

Just my two penneth worth ;), assuming you don't mind me gate grashing here Min.

I think that people will find their own way of maintaining and there can't be a 'should' in there. Just in the same way as naturally slim people have different ways of subconsiously maintaining their weight.

Some will overeat at Christmas, then naturally cut down. My husband does that. If he overeats at Christmas (which is never by much) he seems to not want too eat much after Christmas.

I've watched my skinny sons for 5 christmas's now (since the beginning of my weightloss) and I was surprised how little they did eat over these times. I thought we all gorged, but embarrassingly it was just me :eek: They were too busy having fun.

Personally, I don't cut down before Christmas or holidays. I don't plan on overeating but I do plan on having a fab time and food will be a part of that. Not too much, but lots of new types of foods if possible. A different breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner etc. Cooked to perfection (if I haven't drunk too much).

If I eat approx 7,000 kcals over a couple of days, then I know it's about 2lbs fat at the very maximum, but probably less due to TEF etc. That will come off once I get back into my normal routine, as long as I don't panic but let it take it's course. I don't plan on eating much more excess, but that doesn't mean I wont enjoy myself.

Once upon a time, Christmas was about the food. Now it's not, though the food will be yum, it's just a part of the season, just like food is a part of my day now. It'll just be more expensive luxury type foods, rather than more of similar types of foods I eat all year long.

Anyway. Not wishing to be controversial, neither am I saying that my way is right and others are wrong. We are all different in the way we approach this. Just saying that I don't think there is a 'should'. It will depend on your history, your confidence around food and where your priorities lie for the days activities amongst other things :)

I think that people will find their own way of maintaining and there can't be a 'should' in there.

Anyway. Not wishing to be controversial, neither am I saying that my way is right and others are wrong. We are all different in the way we approach this. Just saying that I don't think there is a 'should'. It will depend on your history, your confidence around food and where your priorities lie for the days activities amongst other things :)

Absoultey right - should is a naughty word and my LL would slap me for using it!! ooops!! :D SOmetimes when I post, I am posting as I am thinking it - in other words - how it relates to how I think about it....and I feel I should do this, or do that...never to imply as you say my way is the right way or the wrong way....I agree it has to be a way that works for the individual.

ANd just to clarify ;) to plan ahead is not to plan to overeat, but to plan for the eventuality that you may be eating higer calorie food - or out to tohters more often where you can't control the ingredients, etc.....not speicifcally with the intent of stuffing ones self. :D That is what works for me, and others, but certainly not all. Its all about finding what works for us individually. But I don;t see it as setting yourself up for failure necisarily. I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

Hope that makes sense - havent had my coffee yet! :D

I didn't mean it that way ... I didn't mean that comment negatively BL... ........... ugh, I always get misunderstood. :sigh:

I didn't think you meant in negatively. At all. I was just looking at it from another angle. :)

It is very easy to be misunderstood in written conversations. Sometimes I look back on my own words and think "what the hell is she talking about??" :D

hi min
how come you are having problems sleeping?

have you been to the doctors about it - you are going to end up ill if you are working so hard, eating so little and not sleeping , and then you could end up getting behind which is the last thing you need.

sorry don't mean to nag/state the obvious, but i'm concerned!

i think i need to send my mother-in-law down to you - she would have you tucked up in bed, force feeding you nourishing chicken broth and dumplings, lol!

daisy x
daisy x

Back