Minerva's on a mission!!

Aww Minerva xxx I know how you feel (that was me a few weeks ago) and it's bloody tough. It doesn't seem fair how your body reacts when you compare to what some bodies can lose on less restrictive diets. Maybe a less strict diet and introducing a good measure of exercise could be the way forward for you? That way even if your losses stay similar you will gain toning and muscle.

I went through a long spell of feeling like my body had let me down - not in relation to this diet though! I often experience slight paralysis on the right side of my body (most noticeably on my face). I've had every test under the sun done and the doctors still aren't sure why. I have gone through numerous bouts of severe depression (was hospitalised at one point). Sometimes I can't walk more than a few minutes without experiencing severe pain in my legs whilst other times I could walk for Ireland (again there's theories why from the doctors but nothing helps). I saw my body as working against me instead of for me. I felt "broken". Sometimes when my legs are so bad that I feel like they are about to snap off I still get down and angry at my body. Bodies don't always do what they should and sometimes (like with my legs and face) we never find out why. It frustrating. It's upsetting and even worrying. But take comfort in the fact that the weight IS coming off. Maybe your body needs less calories to function then is the norm? Have you been tested?

I understand completely, I feel the same when I've had a 100% week and Aaron still does better than me even though he wasn't 100%! You're doing amazingly though, don't get disheartened. Think about the positives, like the clothes. Just keep on keeping on :)

:) my apologies if it seemed like I was judging you - not at all! I never judge unless I know the person very well, so it'd take a long time before I make any such decision! I don't know enough about your llc, you or any other factors, I was merely stating my opinion. :)
Again, sorry if my comment above looked weird and critical, was not meant that way! I'm sorry the counselling sessions weren't very good for you, to be fair, my first llc was pretty awful, she read text straight from the manual, almost as if she didn't understand it herself :p

Ah just reading this and worries me slightly! I have a new LLC in my area, first session was on Saturday. She was really slim, seemed to have no idea about what being on the diet is like (tried telling me you don't get more cold!) and was reading from the manual. I'm trying not to judge, will give it a few weeks and think of switching to s&s if I think I can do it alone xx

Ah just reading this and worries me slightly! I have a new LLC in my area, first session was on Saturday. She was really slim, seemed to have no idea about what being on the diet is like (tried telling me you don't get more cold!) and was reading from the manual. I'm trying not to judge, will give it a few weeks and think of switching to s&s if I think I can do it alone xx

Give it some time Hun. Not all counsellors are cut out for the job but maybe she's just new and is still learning. The support the LL gives helped a lot of people and definitely is worth having if you think you can't do it on your own. I personally didn't get enough out of the counselling to justify the price and I'm happy to carry on my journey on my own.
Give it some thought and definitely give your LLC a chance. Maybe tell her about our concerns. Otherwise you can always look for new one in your area. Whatever you decide, you have options and we are all here for support too :)

Ok finally finished reading all your diary, been reading on and off all day, and (WARNINg, compliment coming!) you are just as inspirational and amazing a lady As I remember 3 years ago! So pleased to see you are back here, and although things feel hard at the moment, you are so determind, so strong, so sure in your convictions, I admire that hugely! It makes me realise I am the same, although I have messed around since having my son along 2 years ago, I have never once given up on my goal to get 'heathly' again and regain the Same confidence you also lose when you gain weight! I crave that so badly! Day 2 for me and feeling so happy to be back in some form of control, although like you for the past year I have pretty much maintained my weight,but it is certainly not where I want it to be. So here I am, not having failed, but having let life cirsumstancrs stop me from achieving my hearts desire, well no more, time to put me first. I am a much happier person when silm and therefore everyone benefits from that, a few months without eating 'food' and here's to a slim summer, can't wait, let's just hope we have the weather to show off our new silm waists!!!! Xxxx

Heya know you're up to your eyes with coursework and study! Just wanted to drop by and let ya know I'm thinking of ya!!! Hope your WI this week goes well xxx

Hi there just popping in to say hi x I have had a read of your diary, you are doing so well xx I know it is coming off slowly but you are in control... I am well still JUDD ing I have not lost very much but I have not gained either and I am feeling a lot happier, keep going Hun x

Aww Minerva xxx I know how you feel (that was me a few weeks ago) and it's bloody tough. It doesn't seem fair how your body reacts when you compare to what some bodies can lose on less restrictive diets. Maybe a less strict diet and introducing a good measure of exercise could be the way forward for you? That way even if your losses stay similar you will gain toning and muscle.

I went through a long spell of feeling like my body had let me down - not in relation to this diet though! I often experience slight paralysis on the right side of my body (most noticeably on my face). I've had every test under the sun done and the doctors still aren't sure why. I have gone through numerous bouts of severe depression (was hospitalised at one point). Sometimes I can't walk more than a few minutes without experiencing severe pain in my legs whilst other times I could walk for Ireland (again there's theories why from the doctors but nothing helps). I saw my body as working against me instead of for me. I felt "broken". Sometimes when my legs are so bad that I feel like they are about to snap off I still get down and angry at my body. Bodies don't always do what they should and sometimes (like with my legs and face) we never find out why. It frustrating. It's upsetting and even worrying. But take comfort in the fact that the weight IS coming off. Maybe your body needs less calories to function then is the norm? Have you been tested?

:( Aww, that sounds terrifying! You poor soul. *hugs* Is the condition something like: Hypokalemic periodic paralysis: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia ? Is it hereditary? Or is it linked to thyroid function?
I feel bad about complaining about myself now, seeing how much you've had to suffer with things... You're a lovely, bright and positive person... And very strong too! I know you've had a day off for Easter, but you seem to be right back on the wagon! One day off doesn't matter in all honesty - it's how you deal with it afterwards is what matters :) And you're an example of SUCCESS! x

Ok finally finished reading all your diary, been reading on and off all day, and (WARNINg, compliment coming!) you are just as inspirational and amazing a lady As I remember 3 years ago! So pleased to see you are back here, and although things feel hard at the moment, you are so determind, so strong, so sure in your convictions, I admire that hugely! It makes me realise I am the same, although I have messed around since having my son along 2 years ago, I have never once given up on my goal to get 'heathly' again and regain the Same confidence you also lose when you gain weight! I crave that so badly! Day 2 for me and feeling so happy to be back in some form of control, although like you for the past year I have pretty much maintained my weight,but it is certainly not where I want it to be. So here I am, not having failed, but having let life cirsumstancrs stop me from achieving my hearts desire, well no more, time to put me first. I am a much happier person when silm and therefore everyone benefits from that, a few months without eating 'food' and here's to a slim summer, can't wait, let's just hope we have the weather to show off our new silm waists!!!! Xxxx

Your words made me blush!! I kept trying and messing around for the past 2-3 years until now, losing, gaining, losing, gaining, but it seems that I had to be truly READY and get my mind to the right place before I could even take a step in the right direction.
You are right, you have NOT failed, you're back with a vengeance!! I hope we can support each other and get to a healthier and happier 'us' again now that our minds and hearts have caught up!!
Don't worry too much about the councellors - do the exercises in the books, it could be helpful to really think about what it's trying to teach you. I always found that the main learning points came from the other members talking about their experiences rather than anything the LLC said. Go to the sessions for you, see how you get on, once the "routine" of having packs is under way in a few weeks, I am confident you can make the jump to independent VLCD'ing! There is nothing more liberating than knowing that you are doing this for YOU, no one needs to look over your shoulder to make sure you're doing it right...! :)

Hi there just popping in to say hi x I have had a read of your diary, you are doing so well xx I know it is coming off slowly but you are in control... I am well still JUDD ing I have not lost very much but I have not gained either and I am feeling a lot happier, keep going Hun x

I miss you!! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well with JuDDD. I hope everything is going well in your own life - oooh and it's summer soon!! :D 2 more months and then it'll be waarrrmmmm and you'll be wearing some gorgeous flowing dresses in the sunshiiine... feeling slim and beautiful!

Just popping in for a hug and to say hi. Hope youre ok, honey xx :hug99:

Heee, yes, I'm ok. Finished my essay, Copyright Law is pretty fascinating stuff! :p I do enjoy writing essays, am I weird? How is Day 2 back on the packs for you? :) x

-----------

Right, so Day 92 (I feel like I'm counting days in prison ... :p )

CONFESSION TIME!! Yesterday I was naughty.

BUT I wanted the day off, I had already decided a while ago that I would allow myself to do that (Game of Thrones season 3 started!). We invited a friend over to watch it and went and picked up some Nando's. I had a really nice bean burger and peri-chips. And a glass of a wine... and some other sugary pastry products that I shall not describe in detail. Lol. It's fascinating how quickly calories add up and how much we are likely to UNDERESTIMATE our consumption. I calculated roughly 4000 calories at the end of all that.

I blame my OH (and myself obviously) for overindulging on the pastries (he got happy from the wine... and trotted off to the shops)! He's one of those who sees no problem to devour a whole box of *something* in one sitting - lovely match I've found for myself !! (and no he's not magically able to eat and not put on weight... he battles with it as much as I do) :rolleyes: I can already tell, we'll be old and fat, but reasonably jolly in the future. We both love food a little too much!

I am not worried. I would only be worried if I started showing signs of compulsive / thoughtless behaviour. You know the type - when you feel you've lost control and you're just grabbing and stuffing in your mouth. That did not happen. Not yet. If I continued like this for another day or two - then the signs would come back.

So, back 100% on plan today, no problem. The only thing that REALLY struck me is the "sugar hangover". I put 3 lb overnight (obviously just temporary), and it feels as if there's tiny worms crawling under my skin everywhere. I feel very warm and dehydrated. Tomorrow it will pass. I hope this has done my body some good, to wake up from whatever plateau it got itself into. The calories were to excess (for sure!), but it'll average out.

That's me - essay out of the way, now for studying ... grargh. I hope you're all doing well!!

xx

Last edited:
Im actually really glad you had that day off! I remember you mentioning a plan to do that for the start of the new season of Game of Thrones...glad you did go ahead and do it. I think it will help your body!

You're sounding positive and happy and focused and yay! lol xx

I'm glad you had a great time. At your stage you probably needed it as well. You sound solid, in control and determined.
There's a lot of people on here who think the world of you and look up to you for your wisdom :)
Keep it up honey x

I'm glad you had a great time. At your stage you probably needed it as well. You sound solid, in control and determined.
There's a lot of people on here who think the world of you and look up to you for your wisdom :)
Keep it up honey x

I second that!!! :D

Sounds.ike you well and truely got that adult head on my lovely, how great! I can't wait to be in that head space... Feel like I'm still in a bit of all of nothing mode at the moment! Roll on a few weeks so I can start processing some of these thoughts, but good for you! Hope you enjoyed the new GoT! X

beelishy said:
Im actually really glad you had that day off! I remember you mentioning a plan to do that for the start of the new season of Game of Thrones...glad you did go ahead and do it. I think it will help your body!
beelishy said:
You're sounding positive and happy and focused and yay! lol xx

I'm not sure if it'll truly help my body, but it's helping my sanity some!! ;) Which is equally important. :)

Keep it up honey x

Way to make me feel all embarrassed again! :p Thank you my lovely :hug99: that was such a sweet thing to say. It probably didn't do my weight-loss much good, but it benefits the mental health aspect of being on a VLCD for sure. This isn't supposed to be a life sentence, some fun is allowed on occasion! :) I'm just glad I can do it without guilt and continue the control the next day. It's a learning experience for the future for sure. :)

Sounds.ike you well and truely got that adult head on my lovely, how great! I can't wait to be in that head space... Feel like I'm still in a bit of all of nothing mode at the moment! Roll on a few weeks so I can start processing some of these thoughts, but good for you! Hope you enjoyed the new GoT! X

I'm feeling alright, obviously the rebellious child made a small appearance when I got my porridge pack out this morning, but I slapped him down into submission. I want to see the 12st's!! Sick of being in the 13's now :p I want to see the 11st's! And the rest!

Game of Thrones was a little underwhelming, but it's only the first episode! Are you watching it too? :D

Howdy Minerva! I haven't heard of that condition - I avoid looking up medical stuff online coz it always scares the heck outta me! I doubt that's it though - it's not as bad as all that. They don't think the slight paralysis and leg problems are related anyway thank god! Don't you DARE feel bad for complaining btw - we all are here for support for weight loss and we all know how absolutely terrible this can be. I'm truly sorry - I didn't mean to make it appear as if I was making light of your upset. The way you expressed your annoyance at your body just reminded me of my own. I'm terrible at expressing myself properly!!!!!!

I think it does the spirit good to have a bit of a planned blow out every now and then! I'm glad to see you seem happier :) More like your usual stuff. You ARE a source of wisdom on here like Slim and Happy said! We're all rooting for ya to succeed hun xxx You rock!

Also - totally agree with ya about Game of Thrones. Very underwhelming opener to the season...

Hehe no not watching it myself, hubby is though, hope u had a good Wednesday! X

Hey Minerva very sensible attitude about getting back on it after a day off, nice to have a little treat :)

My oh loves game of thrones I kept interrupting him when he was watching it!!

Let us know if you do the whole day on plan today I'll be so proud if you do!!! (and jealous!!;))

Howdy Minerva! I haven't heard of that condition - I avoid looking up medical stuff online coz it always scares the heck outta me! I doubt that's it though - it's not as bad as all that. They don't think the slight paralysis and leg problems are related anyway thank god! Don't you DARE feel bad for complaining btw - we all are here for support for weight loss and we all know how absolutely terrible this can be. I'm truly sorry - I didn't mean to make it appear as if I was making light of your upset. The way you expressed your annoyance at your body just reminded me of my own. I'm terrible at expressing myself properly!!!!!!

I think it does the spirit good to have a bit of a planned blow out every now and then! I'm glad to see you seem happier :) More like your usual stuff. You ARE a source of wisdom on here like Slim and Happy said! We're all rooting for ya to succeed hun xxx You rock!

Also - totally agree with ya about Game of Thrones. Very underwhelming opener to the season...

I didn't take it the wrong way, I was just feeling bad that someone as lovely as you, has had to go through such scary stuff. :( I can relate to the depression bit though, I probably should have been hospitalised too at some points, but it worked itself out, thankfully. Unfortunately that period of my life has left me needing to wear long sleeves for the rest of my life. Oh well. :) We live and we learn. You are doing so well, this diet really isn't so easy! Who knew NOT doing something would be so hard, eh!!!

Morning!

We have sunshine up here. Hope you have some down your way as well!! Have a great day! xxx :D

We're having some NASTY weather in London! It's trying to spit snow at us again!! ARGHH!! It's cold. :( Oh well, if it was sunny I'd probably feel worse at being cooped up on the house, neck deep in notes and study material...! Can't wait for the summer and all of this to be behind me!!
How is your week "1" going? Are your girls feeling better yet? I remember warm milk with plenty of honey before bedtime and lots of tea with raspberry jam throughout the day made me feel loads better when I was little. :D

Hey Minerva very sensible attitude about getting back on it after a day off, nice to have a little treat :)

My oh loves game of thrones I kept interrupting him when he was watching it!!

Let us know if you do the whole day on plan today I'll be so proud if you do!!! (and jealous!!;))

Hi Lou!! Shame you haven't got into GoT, it's really good! So many wonderful characters, the plots are interesting and actors really bring it to life. :)
I am going strong with the diet. Monday evening has been followed by 100% days. The "sugar hangover" day was a bit nasty (PLUS carb withdrawal argghh), but once I got through that, Wednesday and today have been plain sailing. I'm only getting emotionally hungry because of the exam stress, but .. nothing I can do about it.
My tastebuds still haven't returned to normal which is annoying! Sugar REALLY desensitises the sense of taste so the packs taste all bland again. It'll return in a few days though. :)
How is your first day on Paleo going? :) If you push through the carb withdrawal stage, you'll be ok. Eat plenty of protein and veggies to fill you up. I remember, breaking sugar addiction is really hard, it's like a drug! I felt like an addict, shaking without it. Obsessing and craving. Probably why I haven't touched sweets/chocolate in over a year... :) It's worth cutting pure sweets out of your life - bread will have much less of an impact if you do.

x

Hey Minerva - day one of Paleo has gone well, lots of fats yum yum I love lard/dripping :D had 2 squares of that high cocoa dark choccie as a treat, not 100% paleo but you know, baby steps

Going to try a S&S day tomorrow, if I'm minimising the carbs then I should be able to dip in and out of S&S without too much bother - I'm thinking of a holy trinity of diets ;) invented by myself:

JUDDD - Up days Paleo - Down days S&S - would I lose 3x the weight though ;)

My failure on JUDDD was eating junk on up days, so by having a paleo up day you're having the cals but not the junk. And I just have lots of S&S packs to use up and not much money to buy food, which is where the down days come in!! We'll see - I make all these plans and they come to nothing :D:D I was also thinking - ooh Mon Wed Fri down days, Tue Thur Sat Paleo - Sunday eat whatever! (then write a book about it and retire on the fortune :D:D) I am the queen of fad diets!! My work mates think it's hilarious

good for you getting straight back on it, :D to do that is harder than just staying 100% the whole way through (I think)

Back