Minerva's on a mission!!

All I want to say that hasn't already been said (and I agree with everyone who commented- you're amazing) is that I am so very proud of you and beyond inspired. Reading your honest and wise words not only teaches me new things each time but it also motivates me to do better.
In order to progress, at times we have to allow ourselves to fail. It's all part of the learning progress.

Thank you for being on here and I wish you nothing but the best hoping your man gets better soon too!

:)

You're not a machine. You're human. The day off is no big deal. Im actually kinda relieved you had it, tbh. The way we are with food and emotional eating and such, isnt good. It isnt the way it SHOULD be. But to go in the completely opposite way isnt good either. We HAVE to have that day of "whatever" every so often. Its natural. Its human. So Im quite pleased that you did what you did. :D

Your new plan sounds pretty awesome. No weighing and staying on plan FOR A CERTAIN NUMBER OF DAYS. Not just "til whenever". You have a set date that you can work to and thats brilliant. I noticed how much easier it was for this time around to stick to plan and to actually ENJOY IT as this time I have had no shakes or soups (as you know) and I have a DATE IN MIND for when this (session of the) diet is over.

Thank you... I sometimes need reminding that I can make things a little easier on myself!! The day of relinquished control actually did me good. It let me appreciate the work I've done so far and got me to formulate a good plan to go forward with. :)
You've hit the nail on the head - 37 days sounds so much more realistic and doable than "til whenever". I know I still need to lose loads more weight even after 31st, but setting small time frames really does break it up a bit...!
I am so happy you're enjoying the diet again (as much as a diet can be enjoyed anyway...). No more imposed liquids!! I don't think I have liquid food right now - which is what makes it doable. Thick porridge, cup soup which has bits in it and evening meal packs - all warm and satisfying.
Don't worry too much about the final evening before you go away - be good to yourself. Make it easy as travelling and packing and the like are way too stressful for words!!
x

I think you reached the point where you needed to relax control! You've had a tough week! We're all human - even you (although you have more determination than ANYONE I know)! I'm gonna be 100% on plan for the next month too! 100%!!!!! We're gonna kick diet booty!
I wonder though - will not knowing how much you're losing each week for the next month affect you? Updating your ticker is a great motivator too. I mean I know if I didn't weigh myself for a month I know I'd be more likely to be slightly demotivated..
You better stick it out with me missy!! 100% !! We can do this! :D
As for weighing - I'm not actually that fussed about it. In fact I'm relieved. My losses are usually extremely rubbish - you've read my diary for the last few weeks, you know I get upset more than anything else! :p I'm hoping to be at about 12st 5 on 31st May. And that is with VERY bad losses in the next 5-6 weeks, but I'll be happy to see that figure when the time comes because I'll be hoping/expecting the worst! :D

Just trimming this down to the 3 things I wanted to comment on, but hugs and good thoughts for everything (and I hope your OHs cyst get sorted - I can empathise).

1) One of the reasons we gain weight is because control is hard. I beat myself up for ages when I've lost control for days or weeks, cannot understand how I let myself do it. But I do it again and again.

In my case I think that it's the added pressure of needing to lose weight before I can maintain. I believe if I can get to a low enough weight, the pressure of trying to lose weight being gone, I'll find it easier. I could be kidding myself.

2) I am exactly the same - when I let go - I let gooooooooooooooooooo. I'm the original "see food" dieter. Which is why I want to get to a low enough weight where I don't feel I have to lose xlbs as well as any gain (just the gain!). I'm not sure how we can change that reaction.

3) Plan of action sounds great; no loss will feel too small over 6 weeks! I'm weighing this Monday but wil consider lengthier terms between weigh ins.

Control is indeed very hard. This was the first time I was 'out' of control the whole time on this stint of the VLCD. :) I've had planned days off - and even a week of eating no packs, but real food - which was very successful - I lost weight and did not deviate from what I meant to do. I guess yesterday was different because it just exploded a bit. Emotions everywhere. But, today I was calm. I guess I needed to get it all out. I let the explosion wash over me in a way and didn't let it take me with it. :)

Control is something we learn to manage bit by bit... It's so weird how weight and food has such a big grip on us sometimes. It should be a fairly insignificant part of our lives, yet, for us it's not. We learn day by day... The pressure as you quite rightly pointed out, does not evaporate when we reach some magic number on the scale.... in fact, this actually IS the easy part. Control and not turning a blind eye to numbers creeping up and allowing and extra here or there - slowly becoming a daily thing .. THAT's the hard part.
Keeping aware of what is happening to us when we get to goal is key! :D

Big hugs to you Minerva!

One binge day in isolation isn't putting you back to square one! These things happen, and as you are doing now, all you can do is carry on.

Your plan sounds really good. I will be here cheering you on all the way!

Really sorry for all the poop stuff that's been going on, at least the studying has an end in sight. Then you will be a free woman all summer (I assume)?

As for the lack of ticker... Do one that counts down the days :)

I WILL be a free woman in the summer!! Bar the house decorating anyway (and job hunting). :)
I made a little number chart in my signature instead - so I can tick off every day as it goes by! It'll be intensely satisfying to colour each day as DONE! :D :D :D
You're right, one day doesn't put me back to square one at all, though the mind is a funny thing - it tried to convince me otherwise :p

:D Yay Day 1 (a.k.a. Day 115)

Lol, I just realised today as well - why do we all beat ourselves so much up about a day off or a binge or whatever? :confused: We always feel so guilty posting about it here!! Hah, we're not in Diet Prison !! I think it's good that we're posting about our slips here - because that means we're admitting to it, analysing what went wrong and as a team working on strategies to move on. :) Healthy group activity if you ask me ...

:rolleyes:

All I want to say that hasn't already been said (and I agree with everyone who commented- you're amazing) is that I am so very proud of you and beyond inspired. Reading your honest and wise words not only teaches me new things each time but it also motivates me to do better.
In order to progress, at times we have to allow ourselves to fail. It's all part of the learning progress.

Thank you for being on here and I wish you nothing but the best hoping your man gets better soon too!

:)

LOL, typical! You! Posting right as I'm posting mega-reply! Damnit woman!! :D :D :D :hug99: You made me smile, thank you!! You're an equally big inspiration to me - your strength is infectious!! Most of the time when I'm tempted now, I think - Slim didn't give in... so I won't either!!

:D

The man is getting better slowly thank you by the way. =) Hoping he won't have a permanent scar on his cheek though... o.o ! He's a handsome man, maybe we can pass it off as a battle scar... a computer geek needs help to look menacing and tough !!

LOL, typical! You! Posting right as I'm posting mega-reply! Damnit woman!! :D :D :D :hug99: You made me smile, thank you!! You're an equally big inspiration to me - your strength is infectious!! Most of the time when I'm tempted now, I think - Slim didn't give in... so I won't either!!

The man is getting better slowly thank you by the way. =) Hoping he won't have a permanent scar on his cheek though... o.o ! He's a handsome man, maybe we can pass it off as a battle scar... a computer geek needs help to look menacing and tough !!

Hahaha! Great minds think alike! Hugs pretty :)

100%!

Just popping in to say hi! My bf has some scars too - big one on one bum cheek (we call it his shark bite :D ). He has ones on his leg and back as well as on his face. His came from growths that had to be removed when he was a baby. He had laser to improve the appearance of his face one. It's barely noticeable now. I didn't even make the connection until now! They're just part of him :)

Haha speaking as a computer geek myself war wounds are always impressive ;) x

I like computer geeks.. possibly the best company to keep in all honesty! What do you do?
x

100%!

Just popping in to say hi! My bf has some scars too - big one on one bum cheek (we call it his shark bite :D ). He has ones on his leg and back as well as on his face. His came from growths that had to be removed when he was a baby. He had laser to improve the appearance of his face one. It's barely noticeable now. I didn't even make the connection until now! They're just part of him :)

Rofl... bum cheek scar... that made me giggle. :D

---

So Day 2 - done! :)

I'm treating this as if it's "week 1" - adhering to extra strictness! Week 1 is always the hardest after all.... and after day 7, this gets easier again. :)

Nothing much to say about today really, I just feel really blessed to have all of you lovely people for support. It helps more than I could ever express in words.

I'll get around diaries tomorrow morning, hope everyone is doing ok!

xx

Last edited:
You're not the only one to think it Lottie - I quite like scars too :) They tell a story of where someone's been... a little bit of history.. probably why I like old things... working at a charity shop was pretty fun for that reason. :)

--

Day 3 over and done with.. my head feels fuzzy though.

This diet is a weird one... because I'm not doing very much. Like - I eat my packs and that's it. There's nothing proactive about it. You know - like usually on a diet (other kinds) there's calorie counting, exercise, or something we're avoiding or whatever.. making a conscious choice about it... but here.. take pack out, boiling water, microwave eat ... over and over.. so it feels like nothing's happening.
I don't feel like I've lost weight at all since I started in January (obviously I have), but I don't FEEL it. I feel the same as I did before.

At least I'm not missing my scales, I'm not curious even. Because whether they're there or not, they just show me numbers and remind me that I'm still fat. Loss or no loss, 13st is still obese. So .. I'm quite happy I put them away... that way I can forget the numbers and concentrate on my clothes getting a bit looser... how my body feels ... instead of the drill of "yeah, it feels looser but you're STILL OBESE so NO, you don't get to feel better about it"...

mhmm...

Hi Hun. Hope you had a good day. Great idea with hiding the scales. You know how I feel about being too hung up on the constant weighing, checking, comparing so the decision to concentrate on how you FEEL rather than what the scales show is a very wise and brilliant idea.
Didn't expect anything other than brilliant from you anyway ;)

Hope OH is getting better xx

You're not the only one to think it Lottie - I quite like scars too :) They tell a story of where someone's been... a little bit of history.. probably why I like old things... working at a charity shop was pretty fun for that reason. :)

--

Day 3 over and done with.. my head feels fuzzy though.

This diet is a weird one... because I'm not doing very much. Like - I eat my packs and that's it. There's nothing proactive about it. You know - like usually on a diet (other kinds) there's calorie counting, exercise, or something we're avoiding or whatever.. making a conscious choice about it... but here.. take pack out, boiling water, microwave eat ... over and over.. so it feels like nothing's happening.
I don't feel like I've lost weight at all since I started in January (obviously I have), but I don't FEEL it. I feel the same as I did before.

At least I'm not missing my scales, I'm not curious even. Because whether they're there or not, they just show me numbers and remind me that I'm still fat. Loss or no loss, 13st is still obese. So .. I'm quite happy I put them away... that way I can forget the numbers and concentrate on my clothes getting a bit looser... how my body feels ... instead of the drill of "yeah, it feels looser but you're STILL OBESE so NO, you don't get to feel better about it"...

mhmm...

you know...that's really struck a chord with me this morning. I wish I hadnt bothered weighing this morning. Im all in a funk now. lol. Boo. I definitely think youve got the right idea! x

Day 5 (or...119) ... nearly over. Going to have my dinner soon, hopefully when OH decides to come home from University...

I do not like ticking these days off my signature, they are both good and very bad at the same time!! Days gone with diet (good) ... and days closer to exams (scary as f*ck). ARGH.
My motivation for study is at an all time low, forcing myself to keep going though. Two weeks until first exam .. which is on my birthday. :rolleyes: Typical.

Hope everyone is doing well!! It seems awfully quiet around here...

Glad to hear you're doing we'll huni bun. You are one of the most clever and smart young ladies I 'know' so you will sail through those exams!
What have you got planned for your birthday? :)

Ive been busy AND been rolling around in the gutter after my fall of the wagon this weekend. :/ lol But Im backkkk noowwww. When's your birthday? Whatve you got planned? - other than an exam (ugh!)... :D

Youre doing wonderfully! I WISH I had your self-discipline!

Have a good day xx :D

Hellloooo :) I'm lurking ... every day.. reading all your diaries - sorry not been responding as much as I should have! ... I feel like a stalker. O_O Argh.

Today is day ... 7? I think? Lost count. My signature knows though. Going strong - the no weighing bit is easy, even though the OH had moved the scales back into the bathroom a few days ago to weigh himself.
The not eating bit is harder because stress and boredom of study makes me want to eat. Major trigger (I'm sure everyone suffers this) - the boredom munchies! :) But resisting, I only actually WANT when I'm getting the milk for my coffee - I see a piece of ham in the fridge and it whispers to me "one won't hurt"... well. I just close the fridge and it's gone. :D Out of sight, out of mind.

Birthday is on the 13th May :) But no plans - exams come first. I generally don't like celebrating it or people making a big fuss - I think a few years ago I postponed it so much - everyone forgot about it :)
This year - in June my and OH's family will get together to go do some archery and crossbow shooting :D I look forward to it, I like crossbows. :D

...I'm procrastinating too much ... I really shouldn't be on here... *lurks away*

Day 7 done! Success on the diet front! A total fail on the study front though!

The weather was so nice and I just wanted a break. A day of NOTHING AT ALL. I'd been studying BADLY for days now, doing it half-arsedly because I'm just sick and tired of it all!!! So decided to have a day off. First one in 6 weeks? I kid you not. Every day has included study / work in some form or another. Since October it has pretty much been every day too (ugh yes, every day) lectures, preparatory reading and seminar prep... JUST ARGH. :mad: Enough already!
Tomorrow, hopefully with renewed energy I can start again. :) I have to! I'm just so over this - I want the holidays to come ... hmm..

Bought a whole bunch of flower seeds from Amazon... no idea why, nothing ever grows in my garden, the soil is such poor quality it's not even funny. There's bindweed everywhere and a deadly bamboo bush which we inherited from the previous owner. It's creeping slowly towards the house as well.
Well.. I'll throw the seeds around and into plant pots - hopefully something will decide to sprout!! Here's so hoping. :D

I think my sister inherited my grandmother's green thumb for sure, I'm terrible!! Though, some sprouts did come up in my indoor trough... some corn flowers :) ... no idea why, but OH decided to plant an onion bulb in there too. :confused: not sure what he's trying to accomplish really... well, I'll cultivate the onion greens - they'll be tasty on a foodpack... there are some chives in the garden too... I should have bought some parsley dammit !!

Right so... I was thinking about my goals and stuff! I think I'll concentrate on DATE goals rather than weight - as it's too unpredictable. :)

So 31st + 1st June - off diet - do whatever I want. Then be sensible after that - I'm sure there'll be a meal out with the family to celebrate my birthday in June, but I'm prepared.

Next - days off at the end of June - unknown at this point - OH and I want to go away. I'm craving to go for my annual visit to Latvia. :) And maybe somewhere else too!! Germany perhaps?

After June - it's plain sailing until my ultimate goal for end of August. :)

At this point I don't know whether I'll continue packs 100% after end of May. I was thinking of a more protein orientated approach. I really liked my week off and how it made me feel, so I'll experiment with that a little more.

sounds like a day off is what you needed - you can't keep going day after day without a break - I order to schedule in one day off a week from now on missy - you can't study at your best if you're exhausted mentally *wags finger*

my garden is the same, and it's north facing and next door's trees block what little sunlight would come in. I still occasionally get optimistic and plant stuff - but this year I've decided to turf over the beds and be done with it. Stupid garden - it's an embarrassment. It's ivy city. Although this time of year there are loads of forget me nots which seem to grow like weeds and I LOVE them - lots of dandelions too and I'm loathe to get rid as at least they give a little colour ;) But the rest of the garden is a mass of weeds

<3 forget me nots my total fave flower :D

Back