MinkyDinkys SW Success Diary!!

emma_partington27 said:
Ive done the whole stop smoking but i did it with patches and hav been smoke free for 4 years :) i put on alot ov weight n thats y im here lol
Did you just pick at sweets or something when you wanted a smoke? I hear people say that they gain weight when they quit but I don't know how? I must be dumb :D at least you are doing something about it now Hun ;) xx
jo-85 said:
Off to the docs in a bit OTC painkillers not touching it and I need to get back to work! I'm an on off smoker typical when stressed smoker really. For me it's like anything with willpower I can manage to stop, makes it sound easy doesn't it?! :) x
Hope docs went well sweetie and you managed to get some tablets? And agree -willpower is the one thing that is needed, mind over matter and all that xx

ZoeSB22 said:
Hey minks how is day one going for u?! I can help, I hate smoking and am very judgemental when people I care for smoke! Haha I know that's not to b proud of but I like to stand by my morals :) so I can totally come and shout at u if u start again! Hehe
Hope ur doing well and you are having lots of yummy food today xxx

Zoe you can be the shouter if I touch a smoke :D I like people with morals and I like that you are ready to kick my ass :giggle: xx

Kia-Ora said:
Ohhh good luck! My hubby quit 2 yrs ago, he got free patches and the inhaler thingie from a local pharmacy. Was brilliant for him.

Rooting for ya x
Cheers honey, well done to the OH too. It's a hard thing to crack and he should be dead chuffed that he has done 2 years!! Fingers crossed for me! Xx

Day 1 nearly done! As yet no deaths, hissy fits or gasping for a cig. In fact, it's been a bit of a breeze. Got home from work to find OH had been given a couple of smokes from a guy at work - for a split second it crossed my mind to have one and then I thought why?! So just cracked on with dinner and left him to do whatever.

Must admit, chest feels a little tight and I haven't been for a number 2 yet (cigarettes always help me for some reason??) but I'm assuming that this will pass after a few days and will become normal.

Just need to keep my wits about me and not succumb to the naughty temptation. Plenty of exercise again this week which should start to become easier without having smaller lung capacity :D

So yeah, day 1 nearly done woo!! Xxx

MinkyDinky said:
Today is the day that I do my final transition over to my new healthy lifestyle.

Stage One. Healthy eating - check!
Stage Two. Incorporating exercise - check!
Stage Three. Quit smoking - As of today, check!

So I have been a naughty little smoker for easily 10 years (maybe a couple more!) but I have decided that enough is enough and I am not going to smoke any more. No patches, tablets, gums or inhalers for me, cold turkey all the way. Its kind of how I do anything really - wake up and say RIGHT! THATS IT! STOP/CHANGE!

I will probably be a mega ***** from hell at work because of the nicotine withdrawels but that should only last what, 2-3 days? And really, I shouldn't be given a reason to be snappy or anything unless they act like a complete douche :D

If any one else has had to do the quit smoking thing and has hints or tips it would be appreciated!

First things first, Food!!

Must have breakfast! Food shopping is coming tonight and panicked about what to have for breakfast as I have no superfree in at all and didnt have time to stop at the shop. So I have a toasted white pitta (8 syns) and some tuna with EL mayo and vinegar 1/2 syn. Lunch is Roast BNS and left over mince with mixed veg and beans. Dinner - who knows. Might be having a stir fry with noodles or summat. Just to get through the day as quickly as possible and to try and not be grumpy (although I feel like I am due * week?? But that would be like 2 weeks early? Pah, can't explain it but I am a right grump!)

I quit in January the same day I started the diet
You pretty much forget the impulse to smoke after 3 days - so need to keep busy for the first three! After that it occasionally pops into your mind - find something else to do straight away
Didn't touch one for about 3 months , then I think in April decided to have a naughty smoke when drunk - nearly made me sick, but was not my brand of choice!
Now I have an occasional when drinking as still can't break habit of associating alcohol with it......
But does not enter my mind in daily life

Well done Minks for giving up - as my mum would say, you just roll up your notes (money) and set it alight. Also it is not good for your health. Good luck with WI tomorrow.

A big fat WELL DONE! On your day one! I imagine that breaking the habit is harder than the actual symptoms of quitting so ur doing fab and can do that already as u know with food!
From my brief nursing history I know that smoking suppress your appetite making you think your not hungry therefore you want to grab the biscuits once you've quit or in your case apples! Much like things like diet coke which makes you feel hungrier - same kinda thing. It also takes up to 15 mins for he heart rate to return to normal once uve had a cigarette which is why you can't take an accurate bp reading of uve smoked on the way to the doctors.
Thats all my knowledge, having done children's nursing I can tell you about breast feeding or which whinnie the pooh plaster works best after a jab!
Good luck for day two - by the way it shouldn't b called quitting cos that's negative and it's a positive thing! Xxx

Oooh is it WI today good luck! Xxx

Yeah it's WI day. I'm not expecting a loss and that's fine - I haven't been to the loo for 5 days!! (sorry if tmi!) but think about it, 5 days of food built up..... I'd expect a gain or sts. No issues with it, will be off next week and then I can move into the 13's woo!

Taking this sh!t serious now though. Done with bloody bank holidays and alcohol fuelled weekends - they throw me out of sync and I hate it. Got my food shopping in finally and have exercise planned throughout the week (2 nights of badders, walk between 5-10 miles, LBT session on Sunday, plus my normal cycle to and from work)

Day 2 of not smoking has begun woo! Thanks for the support guys, it means a lot xxx

I quit in January the same day I started the diet
You pretty much forget the impulse to smoke after 3 days - so need to keep busy for the first three! After that it occasionally pops into your mind - find something else to do straight away
Didn't touch one for about 3 months , then I think in April decided to have a naughty smoke when drunk - nearly made me sick, but was not my brand of choice!
Now I have an occasional when drinking as still can't break habit of associating alcohol with it......
But does not enter my mind in daily life
Thanks for the heads up on keeping busy. I have managed to do that so far - mainly by distracting myself and being on here :D I did give up smoking for lent couple of years ago but that was more of a "to prove a point act" so couldn't give in for the entire time and then as soon as the 40 days/nights was up I gladly sparked up. But this time its just for me so its a little different. Not doing too badly today, haven't wanted on but have thought about them tho :D xx

Well done on day 1 Minky!

It gets easier, trust me. You might have the odd day when you feel like having one but it's so not worth it!
Thanks mr, its weird but a good weird to not have the cigarette taste or smell on me. After a week I will know that there is no turning back so only 5.5 left to go ;) xx

Well done Minks for giving up - as my mum would say, you just roll up your notes (money) and set it alight. Also it is not good for your health. Good luck with WI tomorrow.
Your mum was right Rosie, well and truly just set my money on fire. Not any more! Thanks for luck xx

A big fat WELL DONE! On your day one! I imagine that breaking the habit is harder than the actual symptoms of quitting so ur doing fab and can do that already as u know with food!
From my brief nursing history I know that smoking suppress your appetite making you think your not hungry therefore you want to grab the biscuits once you've quit or in your case apples! Much like things like diet coke which makes you feel hungrier - same kinda thing. It also takes up to 15 mins for he heart rate to return to normal once uve had a cigarette which is why you can't take an accurate bp reading of uve smoked on the way to the doctors.
Thats all my knowledge, having done children's nursing I can tell you about breast feeding or which whinnie the pooh plaster works best after a jab!
Good luck for day two - by the way it shouldn't b called quitting cos that's negative and it's a positive thing! Xxx
Which Pooh bear plaster should I have today after getting through nearly 2 days of no smoking? Or do you only give them out after jabs? :(
And you are right in the whole negative/positive thing, it is positive and I will do it and I feel great today :) but be ready to sort me out should I need it xxx:whoopass:

To punch the OH, or to not punch him? That is the question. He has just got home with a pouch of tobacco. Not just a couple of cigarettes but a brand new pouch! What a frigging penis.

But never fail!! I will not succumb to the temptation. In fact, I don't even want to smoke and the fact they are there doesn't bother me. It's the fact that he failed and gave in! He didn't even have a bad day for him to say 'I'm stressed and need to smoke'. He said 'i failed, so what'. And that is what makes me want to punch him. Douche bag.

I'm on countdown to WI now, which is soooo long away! Forgot for a second that it's now 7:30 :( don't think I've lost and if anything a gain. Like I said, not had a cr@p for days and I feel bungee up. Will take a sts happily but be disappointed if I gain. We shall see!!

Minky have you got any prunes or dried fruit. Have a few and it makes you go.

By the whose brite idea was to ask me about the weather. Went for my supposedly long walk and got caught in the heaviest rain. Rescued by a neighbour.

Rosielea said:
Minky have you got any prunes or dried fruit. Have a few and it makes you go.

By the whose brite idea was to ask me about the weather. Went for my supposedly long walk and got caught in the heaviest rain. Rescued by a neighbour.

I keep having this problem and don't know why? Have a week or so ok and then all bunged up and can't go. It's bizarre. Only dried fruit I have is cranberries but unsure on syns :(

Sorry about the rain - was probably my fault for asking and jinxing, whoops! Glad you got saved though!! Xx

Have you been to the doctors about your 'problem'? My friend has the same trouble, the doc gave her some sachets of stuff to help move things along

Minks not to worry about the rain. I suppose it is good for the farms. Luckily I was walking with a neighbour and her husband came to rescue.

My mum has a Rose powder that you mix with youghrt and eat it and makes you go. I look for it when I get back and send you some if you like to try. But as someone else said you should go to doctor and see what he says.

Ooh exciting new in Minky's world...giving up smoking -that's great hon! OH is joining you at the mo. He quit after Christmas but had a really bad skin allergy to the patches; tried several and had same effect. He couldn't manage without them so smoked again after 8 weeks. Bless him, he's gone back to the nurse of his own volition and this time they've given him special tablets that stop the cravings. Apparently they have a huge success rate but you have to be careful if you've ever suffered from depression with them. So, if you can't go cold turkey there are other options. Personally, you being the determined young lady I know you to be I think you'll do this on your own. Come on, the amount of weight you've lost you can do ANYTHING missus!

Bad news about the bunged-upness. Methinks trip to the GP sweetie. Good luck for wi tonight - even if a slight gain you sound very focussed. :bighug: xxxxxx

Back