Mitten's Pregnancy Diary - Plodding Along

mitten

The old me is coming back
Hi Ladies,

Mind if i join you all on here? I am normally found on the Members Diaries section but am setting up around here now as well if that's ok?

A little introduction - i am 30 years old and myself and OH were TTC for 18 mths before getting pregnant. We actually got pregnant on our last month trying before starting IUI. We had been through all the tests etc and some issues came up with OH's samples. Nothing to make natural conceiving impossible but enough to make them suggest treatment. As you can imagine we were delighted when we got the positive.

I have lost a lot of weight this year - went from 18 stone to just over 13 from Feb - July and i am sure that was a contributor in getting pregnant. I lost weight through healthy eating and loads of exercise and felt a milliions times better as a result.

I am just 8 weeks now. For weeks 4-6 i felt fine, full of beans, delighted no symptons etc apart from very full and sore boobies!. At mid week through week 6 nausea and vomiting kicked in and is still here, i am getting sick a couple of times a day, usually morning and evening and have lost a few pounds as a result, but am not complaining.

We have also had a worrying time for the last few days - since Thursday i have had on/off brown and pink spotting/discharge. Sorry if TMI. Not a huge anount just there when i wipe. We went into the maternity hospital on Sunday night and they scanned me and we saw the baby and the heartbeat so that was a huge relief. They advised that spotting can be nothing or else it can be an early sign of something bad happening. They told me it should settle down and if not to come in and get re-scanned. I had nothing all day yesterday and then some pink spotting last night, nothing again today. I am absolutley terrified and am trying my best to relax but have a horrible feeling of terror that i just can't shift. Has this happened anyone on here? I know my hormones are getting to me as well and i was sitting in the bathroom earlier getting sick and crying my eyes out with the fear. They told me at the hospital to just carry on as normal but i rang in sick to work yesterday and today. I think we have decided that if the spotting comes back again tonight we will go into the hospital again. Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks ladies.

Congratulations on getting pregnant. Sorry about the spotting, that must be very frightening. As they say, there is not much you can do other than wait and hope all is well. Most of the time everything is fine but it is horrible to just have to wait and see.

I'm 33 weeks now and also have a little boy who is 2 and a half now. When I was pregnant with him, we had huge problems and nearly lost him several times, I started bleeding at 13 weeks and bled several times during the pregnancy. I was made to spend most of the pregnancy in bed and had several weeks in hospital as well. His chances of being born alive were poor but he made it and he's perfect, my little miracle - and worth every day I had to spend in bed!

Out here they send you to bed if you start bleeding in pregnancy and tell you to rest up til it stops and until you're "clean" for a few days. I know the UK doesn't tend to do that, but I'd say rest as much as you can.

Always go to the hospital if you feel you need to. Don't let them make you feel you shouldn't, it's your body and your baby and you have to do what you think is right. There's a lot to be said for trusting your instincts when you're pregnant.

I certainly know that feeling of cold terror - I started passing clots of blood at 20 weeks with DS and was sure I'd lost him. I was in hospital for 5 days before the bleeding stopped that time and another week before they let me go. I spent every minute just hoping and praying. I ended up taking up cross-stitch during that pregnancy as sometimes I couldn't relax enough to read and the monotony of counting the stitches helped relax me a tiny bit.

I really feel for you, it's so scary and stressful and you feel so helpless. Just try to relax, keep taking your vitamins and go to the doc whenever you feel you need to.

Will be hoping and praying for you. As they say, lots of people spot in early pregnancy with no problems. And even the problems can work out, like my little boy did.

Hugs
xxx

Welcome and congratulations (both on the pregnancy and the weight loss), early pregnancy causes your hormones to go haywire and spotting is very common. I have had it in previous pregnancies and they put it down to cervical erosion (harmless softening of the cervix which makes it bleed easily) others have spotting throughout their pregnancies with no ill effects at all and some people have heavy unexplained bleeding and go on to have successful pregnancies. My advice (although easier said than done I know) is to try and relax. Stress would be more harmful to your baby so try not to worry as I say its a common occurance. Look forward to seeing you around the forum, take care, Jo

I meant to say my obstetrician told me frequently when I was bleeding that morning sickness is a good sign, it means the baby is doing what it should be doing so it's good that you're vomiting.

Congratulations on your pregnancy mitten. Sorry to hear of the stress you're going through though. I'm pregnant with my first and every little thing I've worried about but as everyone says, stressing is worse for the baby and (unfortunately) at the end of the day you just need to hope that it clings on tight and hangs in there.

I had spotting the day before my period was due and then again at about 6 weeks, the night before I was due to see my GP. I was on the phone at 10pm at night in tears to my Mum scared and worried, but 17 weeks on everything's fine and I'm getting kicked awake at 6am every day :)

As IslandBreeze said, if you feel worried at all, get back to the hospital. But in the meantime relax, take it easy and try not to worry. Hoping all goes well for you x

hi mitten and welcome xx
congratulations on youre fab weight loss and youre pregnancy .
im sorry youre having this horrible worry at the moment , but just to echo what the others have said , try to stay calm , not worry and relax ( i know so much easier said than done )
i had a fright at about 6-7 weeks with bleeding but the scan showed all was well , i calmed down and it happened again 10 days later , i went back and had another scan and again all was well . again at 12-14 weeks i had on and off bleeding but this time i tried to stay calm and read up on things which said it was quite normal at this time . any way my point (and yes i do have one for a change :D) is that even though its so awefully stressfull for you right now , chances are that everything is fine and if anything the sickness is a great sign so enjoy it !!:D:D:D

keeping all things crossed for you hunni xx

Hiya Mitten,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I would also say that morning sickness although awful is a really good sign in early pregnancy as it shows that you have high amounts of pregnancy hormones! So on that note.....I hope your sick all day! lol

I had a lot of bleeding in my first pregnancy, at 6 and 10 weeks it was like you described and at 17 weeks I had a massive bleed, and it took them 30 mins to find her hb!!! I was crying my eyes out but then I heard it and suddenly realized how much I loved the little being inside me.
They could give me no reason as to why I was bleeding like I was and they didn't even tell me to rest up, but I took it upon myself to rest and told work I'm taking the week off and b0llocks to it!

This pregnancy the fetal pole developed late and I was told to expect a mc around 6 weeks and was waiting for it to happen, but by 9 weeks everything had developed and I was so so relived when I could see a tiny hb on the scan! Luckily no heavy bleeding this time around, just the odd spotting now and again.

Every pregnancy is different and we all seem to experience spotting or bleeding to some extent but all have had healthy baby's. I'm sure everything is well and normal, but at anytime you get it go to the hospital, that's what they are there for! x

Congratulations on getting pregnant. Sorry about the spotting, that must be very frightening. As they say, there is not much you can do other than wait and hope all is well. Most of the time everything is fine but it is horrible to just have to wait and see.

I'm 33 weeks now and also have a little boy who is 2 and a half now. When I was pregnant with him, we had huge problems and nearly lost him several times, I started bleeding at 13 weeks and bled several times during the pregnancy. I was made to spend most of the pregnancy in bed and had several weeks in hospital as well. His chances of being born alive were poor but he made it and he's perfect, my little miracle - and worth every day I had to spend in bed!

Out here they send you to bed if you start bleeding in pregnancy and tell you to rest up til it stops and until you're "clean" for a few days. I know the UK doesn't tend to do that, but I'd say rest as much as you can.

Always go to the hospital if you feel you need to. Don't let them make you feel you shouldn't, it's your body and your baby and you have to do what you think is right. There's a lot to be said for trusting your instincts when you're pregnant.

I certainly know that feeling of cold terror - I started passing clots of blood at 20 weeks with DS and was sure I'd lost him. I was in hospital for 5 days before the bleeding stopped that time and another week before they let me go. I spent every minute just hoping and praying. I ended up taking up cross-stitch during that pregnancy as sometimes I couldn't relax enough to read and the monotony of counting the stitches helped relax me a tiny bit.

I really feel for you, it's so scary and stressful and you feel so helpless. Just try to relax, keep taking your vitamins and go to the doc whenever you feel you need to.

Will be hoping and praying for you. As they say, lots of people spot in early pregnancy with no problems. And even the problems can work out, like my little boy did.

Hugs
xxx

Hi Islandbreeze,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post on my diary and sharing your story with me. Wow! You have been through a lot with your first pregnancy and now back again and at 33 weeks! Brilliant!

Thanks so much for the advice and kind words, how has this pregnancy been for you? Oh and on a nosey note - when you say "over here" where is here?

Welcome and congratulations (both on the pregnancy and the weight loss), early pregnancy causes your hormones to go haywire and spotting is very common. I have had it in previous pregnancies and they put it down to cervical erosion (harmless softening of the cervix which makes it bleed easily) others have spotting throughout their pregnancies with no ill effects at all and some people have heavy unexplained bleeding and go on to have successful pregnancies. My advice (although easier said than done I know) is to try and relax. Stress would be more harmful to your baby so try not to worry as I say its a common occurance. Look forward to seeing you around the forum, take care, Jo

Thanks Jo, i had no idea spotting was so common till i got pregnant, so many women seem to go through it. I am trying to focus on the positive stories and try my best and relax, although it is easier said than done!

I meant to say my obstetrician told me frequently when I was bleeding that morning sickness is a good sign, it means the baby is doing what it should be doing so it's good that you're vomiting.

I must be doing very good so if today is anything to go by!!! Sick is not the word for it!

Congratulations on your pregnancy mitten. Sorry to hear of the stress you're going through though. I'm pregnant with my first and every little thing I've worried about but as everyone says, stressing is worse for the baby and (unfortunately) at the end of the day you just need to hope that it clings on tight and hangs in there.

I had spotting the day before my period was due and then again at about 6 weeks, the night before I was due to see my GP. I was on the phone at 10pm at night in tears to my Mum scared and worried, but 17 weeks on everything's fine and I'm getting kicked awake at 6am every day :)

As IslandBreeze said, if you feel worried at all, get back to the hospital. But in the meantime relax, take it easy and try not to worry. Hoping all goes well for you x

Thanks so much Sarah - poor mums really get the brunt of it, i think mine is nearly as worried as i am and trying to be supportive for me as well.

hi mitten and welcome xx
congratulations on youre fab weight loss and youre pregnancy .
im sorry youre having this horrible worry at the moment , but just to echo what the others have said , try to stay calm , not worry and relax ( i know so much easier said than done )
i had a fright at about 6-7 weeks with bleeding but the scan showed all was well , i calmed down and it happened again 10 days later , i went back and had another scan and again all was well . again at 12-14 weeks i had on and off bleeding but this time i tried to stay calm and read up on things which said it was quite normal at this time . any way my point (and yes i do have one for a change :D) is that even though its so awefully stressfull for you right now , chances are that everything is fine and if anything the sickness is a great sign so enjoy it !!:D:D:D

keeping all things crossed for you hunni xx

Thanks so much Sukey Sue, i'm glad that your pregnancy worked out for the best, despite the bleeding. Thanks for sharing the positive story - keeps me more optimistic!

Hiya Mitten,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I would also say that morning sickness although awful is a really good sign in early pregnancy as it shows that you have high amounts of pregnancy hormones! So on that note.....I hope your sick all day! lol

I had a lot of bleeding in my first pregnancy, at 6 and 10 weeks it was like you described and at 17 weeks I had a massive bleed, and it took them 30 mins to find her hb!!! I was crying my eyes out but then I heard it and suddenly realized how much I loved the little being inside me.
They could give me no reason as to why I was bleeding like I was and they didn't even tell me to rest up, but I took it upon myself to rest and told work I'm taking the week off and b0llocks to it!

This pregnancy the fetal pole developed late and I was told to expect a mc around 6 weeks and was waiting for it to happen, but by 9 weeks everything had developed and I was so so relived when I could see a tiny hb on the scan! Luckily no heavy bleeding this time around, just the odd spotting now and again.

Every pregnancy is different and we all seem to experience spotting or bleeding to some extent but all have had healthy baby's. I'm sure everything is well and normal, but at anytime you get it go to the hospital, that's what they are there for! x

Thanks for sharing as well Mummytummy - i am amazed how common the bleeind and spotting is, still so scary though. I hope your pregancy is going well, have you a diary on here? I must have a root around and see can i find it!

Wow ladies, thanks so much for your lovely welcome and for making me and my freaking out ramblings seem more normal. It really is lovely to discuss stuff with people in the same boat.

No spotting today for me, fingers, toes and everything crossed it stays away. Am still on high alert and feel ill with worry when i go to the loo, but i can cope with that i guess!

I was sick as a dog today - threw up every hour from 7 - 1pm, every sip of water i had even came back up. Not nice esp as i was in work and trying to be discreet, ery difficult. I'd say i looked a right state. I got sick once more when i got in from work and just had some rice and cheese and hoping it stays down now. I have a few tummy/back cramps but i think they are more from getting sick and from lying around the last 4 days.

Planning on an early night tonight and try and get some fluids in before i go to bed as am sure i am dehydrated. There really is nothing glamerous about pregnancy, is there? I can't wait to give my baby a massive kiss and cuddle at the end of all this!

Hi there hunney

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I sympathise with the sickness you are going through right now - I'm 12 weeks now and am still sick morning till night - I've been given lots of different anti sickness tablets and nothing has worked so I've decided to stop taking them and actually for the last 2 days feel slightly better although no where near normal but better is great!

Try not to worry about the spotting, although I know it's easier said than done - it can amount to nothing. I had spotting in my last pregnancy in March and sadly that did lead to a MC but I've had some spotting this time and so far touch wood everything is fine. I know it's pretty impossible to take your mind of things especially when you have constant reminder with the sickness you are having but there is nothing else that can be done except wait and see how things go.

Hoping all settles down and you get to start feeling better soon

Alia x

Hi Ladies,

Sorry for the long absence, have been too knackered to type anything on here, also have been leading a very boring life and didn't want to send you into floods of boredom tears!

I am OK, still very nervous but struggling along and trying to relax as best i can. I have had no spotting etc since last week so please please god it stays away. Have had morning (or any time of the day sickness as i call it) every day. Some days are worse than others. Last Wednesday in work i was sick every hour for the day and felt so so rotten. Some days then it's only 3/4 times a day and more tolerable. I don't rally mind it though as it's a sign that all is still ok and i like that!

I have to laugh when i think back to my posts when i first found out and fretting about what cals etc to eat - Ha Ha!!! I eat whatever i fancy and can keep down now. So many foods literally turn my stomach and i have been eating bread/carbs etc as they seem to settle me!I have lost nearly half a stone from the throwing up but all the books say that baby is fine as it takes all my nutrients and mum is the only one to suffer - i can cope with that!

We had a pretty lazy weekend - i can sleep for Ireland so just mooched around the apartment and the local shopping centre, watching tv and snoozing. I am told i will perk up in a few weeks so as we have nothing else on i might as well go with the flow for now.

Glad you are feeling more relaxed now and as you say as horrible as it is the sickness is a sign of a good strong pregnancy;)
Its funny but I found that bread related products helped my nausea too:rolleyes:

Glad all is OK. Don't worry about the sickness - I was hyperemetic all the way through my pregnancy and losing an average of 3lb every week in the first trimester (weight loss slowed down after that and in the final weeks I did manage to gain some weight even though I was still being sick) so the doc was keeping a very close eye on me but when baby was eventually born at 35 weeks he was 7lb 10oz, despite being 5 weeks early. It is definitely true what they say about the baby taking what it needs despite the sickness. Though if the sickness is bad enough to leave you with dehydration you would have to see the doc as that is potentially a risk for the baby and they will medicate you if the sickness is that bad but it doesn't sound like yours is.

Glad the spotting has stopped as it is stressful. Eat whatever stays down - I spent a couple of the early weeks living entirely off tinned peaches as they were the only thing that had some chance of staying down with DS. You just have to go with whatever appeals. Hopefully it will all be plain sailing from now on. And the sickness stops for most people by 14 weeks.

hi mitten , so pleased the spotting seems to have stopped , hopefully the sickness will abate soon too :0)

Thanks Ladies.

Well, never a dull moment with me. About an hour after i posted i went to the loo and noticed a lot of brown "stuff" (sorry!) back so as advised by the doctors back to the hospital i went. Another agonosing wait and a scan that went on for ages before being told all ok and the baby fine. Oh the relief. I will be 9 weeks on Wed, i had kinda figured i was a little behind so good to get confirmation. Also means a little longer to the 12 week mark now, or 14 as the doctor today said! I felt like a bit of a drama queen going in again but the doctor reitirated that anything like that is not normal and can be an indicator of something wrong so always to come in. OH came in and met me and the 2 of us went for a drive afterwards.

We had a lovely chat and i told him all my fears - i hate this out of control, nothing i can do feeling i have and worry that am not coping well with the stress of it all. It felt good to let him know how i was feeling and to try and understand. I had gotten to the stage that i was too worried and too nervous about what is going on to even allow myself to be happy and that's not good.

So, back home now. Had to text my boss in work and tell him all - yuk as he is a single 33 year old man. Hard to convey what is going on without going into gorey detail. He will want a "chat" with me tomorrow - double yuk!

So there you go ladies, for once why can't eveything be straightforward in my life?

Oh Mitten, you poor thing, this pregnancy is really putting you through the mill. Just hang on in there and do whatever helps you keep going. When I was going through this with DS I found that some people really think you should bottle it all up and personally that doesn't work for me, I needed to talk and run through the possible outcomes - even the bad ones - I just had to keep talking. Some people prefer not to. The important thing is that you handle the strain of this in whatever is the best way for YOU, not for those around you. Bottle it up, talk, scream - whatever helps you keep going, that will help keep the stress down.

I also found people constantly telling me not to worry because that was bad for the baby really annoying. Of course you're going to worry and it's unlikely to do the baby any harm unless it's totally panic-attack territory in which case the docs will help anyway.

In my experience, men, especially youngish ones, are usually more sympathetic to pregnancy problems than women so I wouldn't stress too much about telling your boss. Men tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you on "women's things" (usually while silently thanking their lucky stars that they don't have to go through it) whereas a lot of women tend to filter what you're telling them through their own experiences. Even if he is unsympathetic, well that's his problem, your baby and health are more important than whatever happens at work, so just do what you need to do. But I bet he'll find the conversation more embarrassing than you do.

Hugs
x

Hey Ladies,

Just a quick post! Plodding along as the title says!

Had another scan yesterday and all was good - for the first time ever could actually make out a baby shape on the monitor and not just a random blob! Could see the head and little arm and leg buds. Junior was boucing and dancing all over the shop - no wonder i have been feeling so queasy!! They changed my dates again so back to the original and will be hopefully and all being well 11 weeks on Thursday. Time is flying - NOT!!! I feel like i should be 9 months already!!! Got a little pic from the scan and it is parked up beside the TV - pride of place!

Am still sick a few times a day but not as much as before - am keeping more food down and i can tolerate certain foods again. A couple of weeks ago literally rice and bread were the only foods not to make me violently ill! I have also developed a fondness for Rice Krispies! Am still a few pounds less than i was when i found out but my belly is defo growing. My trousers today are quite snug and i dunno how much longer they will be comfy for. As for my boobs - they are MASSIVE!!! OH is delighted but cause they are still sore and bruised he is allowed look but not touch!!!!!!

Aww glad to hear your scan was all good :) I remember the sore BB phase, especially jogging down the stairs and having to hold them from jumping so much!

The shock on size is when you try to put something on that you've not tried on for quite a while and it really doesn't fit! I work at home so spend most days in cheap trackie bottoms, but I had a meeting to go to and tried my smart trousers on about 30 mins before due to go out and had a couple of inches gap between the button and hole! Up until that point I didn't think I looked any different to before but that made me realise that maybe I did!

Glad to hear the sickness is easing too :)

Glad all going well I loved corn flakes when pregnant with my son its whatever u can keep down xx

I's so lovely when you can actually make out a baby shape!

i was out of my normal cloths and into maternity really quickly, even though I hadn't put much weight on back then.

Glad all is well for you, except the boobs of course : )

Back