Moonlights' (temporary) Maintenance

You might need to cut yourself some slack ML... You've been through a lot and it hasn't finished yet! Me thinks you need some tlc! Hugs xx

Hi Moonlights. I've been nosy and read your thread. So many great meals and you are doing so well. I love that there's so much support and friendly helpful advice on these forums. Really makes everything so much easier.

So tired. Yesterdays food:

Bacon and cabbage

1/4 roast chicken (breast and wing)

Zero noodles with butter and Parmesan

Mug of alpro

20g carbs Inc meds

moonlights said:
So tired. Yesterdays food:

Bacon and cabbage

1/4 roast chicken (breast and wing)

Zero noodles with butter and Parmesan

Mug of alpro

20g carbs Inc meds

Hi Moonlights. Sorry you feel tired. :(

Can I ask you about zero noodles? What are they? I've read that you mention them being slimy and some say fishy... That sounds kinda nasty but also rather interesting when you can eat them with butter and cheese...

Hope the sun blesses you with some lovely vitamin D today. I think we all need that!

They are definitely slimy but not at all fishy - I've heard people say that too and it put me off at first, then I got a pack and there was no smell at all. They come stored in saline type stuff so you do have to rinse them before use.

They're not a pasta noodle, they're a fibre, the root of a yam plant, so they're chewy and don't taste like regular pasta. I've found two ways of cooking that either dry them and make them easier to eat or soak them. So if I want them soft I boil them for 10 min, then pour out the water, pour in beef stock, a drop if soya, add spring onion, simmer that for a while, then add meat if I want it and eat it like a ramen soup.

Last night I rinsed them, microwaved them on high for 7 mins uncovered, then melted butter and Parmesan in with them and a tiny bit of spring onion.

They're not great with Italian type sauces although I have them with cheese sauce sometimes as it coats them well.

They're not a low carb fad, they've been eaten in japan for a long long time. They're quite heavy is the stomach so I don't have them too regularly but they're useful when I need something quick or my planned meal has gone off (like my cauliflower did last night).

Thanks for the info. I've ordered 6 packs from Amazon. I'm looking forward to having them with cheese and garlic. Like I like my spaghetti.

How has your day been so far? Enjoying the summer sun I hope. :)

I hope you find them okay - some of us get on with them, some don't. It took me a little while to find the way I like them best but as long as you expect a very al dente chewy mouthful and not starchy spaghetti you'll be fine. Garlic is great to have with them - they go best with strong flavors.

Gosh the weather is amazing. It's actually too hot for me so I'll be going for a walk later - well I say later, half an hour or so - to catch the sun without burning to death.

Evening ML... I've had a packet of noodles in the cupboard for ages but always thought they might stall me!! Seeing as most things do! Lol... Will to have them soon before they expire!

Sorry to hear you've had a tired day! Xx

moonlights said:
I hope you find them okay - some of us get on with them, some don't. It took me a little while to find the way I like them best but as long as you expect a very al dente chewy mouthful and not starchy spaghetti you'll be fine. Garlic is great to have with them - they go best with strong flavors.

Gosh the weather is amazing. It's actually too hot for me so I'll be going for a walk later - well I say later, half an hour or so - to catch the sun without burning to death.

I'm usually a sun-worshiper but lately I can't stay in the sun too long either. Being South African you think it's like a fish in water but my stepmom has just been diagnosed with skin cancer and is devastated. Its so harmful and we don't always realise it. I love the sunshine and I love the summer and how everything and everyone just brightens up.

The noodles sound similar to the Japanese ramen noodles or those fat rice noodles. They don't taste like much but they are sort of interesting to eat.

Enjoy your walk and this beautiful evening.

I tend to find I'm heavier the morning after - because they're heavy fibre - but they also sort of flush you out so they've never stalled me. I don't have them often though - twice in the last 5 weeks.

I'm pale as milk and I actually hate being directly in the sun, which I know is strange. I just like being in the shade on warm days. I hope your stepmom is okay - my mum had mole removed a while back. My parents generation grew up total sun worshippers.

Oh and the noodles - I'd say across between udon and rice noodles but much chewier.

moonlights said:
I tend to find I'm heavier the morning after - because they're heavy fibre - but they also sort of flush you out so they've never stalled me. I don't have them often though - twice in the last 5 weeks.

Good advice. Do you weight daily? I weigh on a Monday and I skipped this week because I had a massive carb blow out in my week break before starting. I'll just have to see how I get on with the noodles. I probably won't have them too often. I'll save them for my night shifts when everyone has their dinners.

I weigh every so often. Just one weigh in day per week which I take as official but I step on when I feel like it really.

Such good advice ML... Xxx

Haven't eaten much - sleepy day - but still almost 1000 cals with what I did eat...

Marks cheese and calvados bake
Celery
Cucumber
2 cherry toms
Spring onion

6 slices bacon

15g peanut butter

Tea

20g carbs according to mfp. As that includes my meds, it's too low.

Was also going to have a quorn burger and celeriac chips but too tired. Cheese and calvados bake was delish, about 3G carbs, lovely cheesy dip.

image-3744692988.jpg

Hi ML your doing great and so creative with your menus. I love that cheese bake, noticed they have it in again.
:)

Last edited:
Morning Moonlights.

Beautiful morning again. Your cheese bake looks so inviting. So early and I'm already dreaming of cheese :O

Have a fab day whatever you do :D

Wednesday weigh in : 2lbs lost! Woop woop.

13st 4 now. Happy with the loss esp as it's TOTM (not over yet, bah).

Feeling a bit odd though - 1 more weigh in and then am having a planned 4 days right off plan over the jubilee - won't be home and will be in the kind of places trying to find Atkins friendly food will be like looking for a sausage in a haystack. Plus, and let's be honest here, I want to let go and eat 'bad things' without crippling myself with guilt over it. I don't cheat and haven't cheated at all while 'on plan' so I have to take myself right off it to mentally be able to do so.

I know I'll gain back the water weight and don't plan on weighing again for a week afterwards. Still. It's on my mind a little bit.

(2 more pounds to weigh less than iron man)

moonlights said:
Wednesday weigh in : 2lbs lost! Woop woop.

13st 4 now. Happy with the loss esp as it's TOTM (not over yet, bah).

Feeling a bit odd though - 1 more weigh in and then am having a planned 4 days right off plan over the jubilee - won't be home and will be in the kind of places trying to find Atkins friendly food will be like looking for a sausage in a haystack. Plus, and let's be honest here, I want to let go and eat 'bad things' without crippling myself with guilt over it. I don't cheat and haven't cheated at all while 'on plan' so I have to take myself right off it to mentally be able to do so.

I know I'll gain back the water weight and don't plan on weighing again for a week afterwards. Still. It's on my mind a little bit.

(2 more pounds to weigh less than iron man)

Yipeeee for you! :D

Jubilee celebrations are definitely considered a one off so enjoy that. I might have a cup cake or two myself whilst waving my flag that day. First and last time I'll ever see that in my lifetime I'm sure so it's worth celebrating.

I'm pretty sure that being in permanent Ketosis sort of trumps a binge weekend if you go right back. ;)

TT x

Back