Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Ooh dear - I'm not the best person to ask for recipe timings - as I''ve always cooked I just go by 'when it's done' but I would say around twenty minutes to half an hour, cut into half inch chunks. It needs to be soft enough to mash or puree, unless you want to leave it as a chunky soup.

I have to be careful with fruit as on an empty stomach it sets off my IBS, so fruit at breakfast is out unless it follows something pretty substantial. I often have fruit at lunch, but the fruit bowl is bare at the moment. Plenty of home grown plums in the freezer, so I was thinking about cooking some with cinnamon. To be honest I haven't really missed it - I think maybe because I have previously done Atkins where fruit isn't allowed on induction. Although it is OK on Primal of course.

In other news my Doctor thinks I may have mild concussion! I banged my head on the corner of a kitchen cupboard on Sunday and haven't really felt right since. I have an appointment this afternoon at the surgery and work have sent me home until then. I think I would like to cancel this year and start again!

Ouch! I hope you're better soon. I've heard that fruit and too much roughage is difficult for IBS sufferers.

Ouch to the concussion ! Silly cupboards that keep moving :)

Evening Moonwatcher. Sounds like a fab start to Primal menu-wise. Not so much with the concussion - ouch! Hope you are feeling better and now more home furnishings attack you...

Ouch to the concussion ! Silly cupboards that keep moving :)

Hehe. I'm blaming OH for fixing then too firmly to the wall!

Evening Moonwatcher. Sounds like a fab start to Primal menu-wise. Not so much with the concussion - ouch! Hope you are feeling better and now more home furnishings attack you...

The only thing attacking me tomorrow morning will be my pillows and quilt, during my long lie-in! I may have around another ten days of the headaches, occasional nausea and dizzy spells, but as long as nothing gets worse I am ok! Glad it is half term next week. Been extra emotional and tearful since the weekend and apparently that is another symptom of a head injury!

Oh dear - sorry to hear about the head bump although duvet sounds like good remedy! Hope you get a fast and symptom free recovery!

Oh dear - sorry to hear about the head bump although duvet sounds like good remedy! Hope you get a fast and symptom free recovery!

Thanks. Doctor's orders are plenty of rest - laze about, read as long as I don't find it too taxing and take some gentle strolls. I can do all of those!

Food for today, Wednesday 12th February

Breakfast - one hass avocado with a spoonful of greek yogurt (259 cals)

Lunch - rather random mix of two warmed savoury popovers with a sprinkle of cheese on top, 2 ounces of smoked pork sausage with some cherry tomatoes and a bowl of home made spicy parsnip soup (554 cals)

In the afternoon - one sweet popover with lemon juice and a spoonful of greek yogurt (71 cals)

Dinner - a good bowlful of home made beef chilli (479 cals)

Evening snacks - one ounce of mixed nuts (198 cals) three ready to eat prunes and a square of 85% dark chocolate (115 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in three teas - a rose garden, a vanilla chai and an earl grey (60 cals)

Totals for the day: calories -1736/1750, carbs - 91

Good day, although a weird lunch combo there! No more work for me now until after half term.

Last edited:
Just tried some more of the egg popovers, but added some grated carrot, a few sultanas and some coconut flour to try to make them a bit more muffin like. They have come out of the oven as a kind of cross between a custard and a muffin - a 'cruffin?'

I have tried coconut flour a few times now, but have not been terribly keen. I know it laps up the liquid, so made the mix quite wet, but even though the texture of the cooked cruffin isn't actually dry, the coconut flour seems to give things a very dry 'mouth feel.' I need to get some more almond flour to try that again, or maybe tapioca flour?

Have a look at the Tiana coconut website for recipes ..

Chocolate coconut Cookies
Ingredients

¼ cup sifted TIANA coconut flour
¼ cup butter or TIANA virgin coconut oil
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 eggs
1/3 cup TIANA Organic Raw Crystallised Coconut Nectar
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Method
In a saucepan at low heat, melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, combine eggs, nectar, salt and vanilla; stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Let batter rest for 4 to 5 minutes to allow it to thicken slightly. Drop batter by the spoonful on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 175 Degree C (350F) for 14 minutes. Makes about 16 cookies.

These are nice too - also primal cravings book is good :) hell bent website ..

Primal berry pancake
3 Tb butter
1 cup berries can be frozen
4/6 eggs separated
Cinnamon dash
Tsp vanilla
23 cm fry pan or larger
Oven 200 degrees
Cook time 10/12 mins

Melt butter and berries over medium heat until juice is thick ish

Whisk egg whites to stuff peaks
Whisk egg yolks with cinnamon and vanilla
Fold yolks into egg whites and pour genteelly over fruit.

Cook 2 mins on med heat not touching, put in oven for 10/12 mins till risen and slightly brown

Remove and place plate over and turn out - careful of berries and juice going EveryWhere!

Enjoy with yogurt or bit of cream - is Devine

Serves 4-6 portions

Thanks for those. I think I have the Primal Cravings book on my kindle so will have a look. We'll eat the cruffins as they aren't too bad, but when it comes to food I'm looking for 'great!' May try the cookies next as I already have the ingredients if I use butter instead of coconut oil. Was thinking about some sort of pancake at the weekend too!

I make arrowroot pancakes/ crepes. I tried other types and didn't really like them .,,

1 Tlbs arrowroot
4 eggs
4T water/ coconut milk
1T oil
1/2 vanilla essence

Mix arrowroot and water together till smooth
Add oil and whisk in eggs

Heat a bit of oil/ butter in pan on med/ low heat and cook till golden .. Enjoy with bacon and maple syrup .., ;)

The other recipes, I either use 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil or either on there own :)

The chunky monkey muffins, dirty blondies, and devils choc brownies are "great" as taste tested by my family and friends .. Who had no idea ;) lol that they were eating no wheat.

I love coconut nectar sugar! I don't get a sugar buzz from it :)

I make arrowroot pancakes/ crepes. I tried other types and didn't really like them .,,

1 Tlbs arrowroot
4 eggs
4T water/ coconut milk
1T oil
1/2 vanilla essence

Mix arrowroot and water together till smooth
Add oil and whisk in eggs

Heat a bit of oil/ butter in pan on med/ low heat and cook till golden .. Enjoy with bacon and maple syrup .., ;)

The other recipes, I either use 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil or either on there own :)

Good idea to use the arrowroot in there. Will definitely give this a go.

The chunky monkey muffins, dirty blondies, and devils choc brownies are "great" as taste tested by my family and friends .. Who had no idea ;) lol that they were eating no wheat.

I love coconut nectar sugar! I don't get a sugar buzz from it :)

I love the coconut sugar too - lovely flavour. I had a look on the kindle and I do have Primal Cravings, so will try out some things from it here and there. Nothing with banana in it though - I can't bear cake type things with banana in!

Thursday 13th February

Breakfast - toasted buckwheat muesli with milk and a little cream.Not many more portions of this left now. (324 cals)

Lunch - leftover chilli from last night with half a small avocado made into guacamole and a spoonful of sour cream (505 cals)

Dinner - smoked mackerel with beetroot and two shades of mash - celeriac and sweet potato, sweet mustard and wasabi dressing (560 cals)

Snacks - three of the coconut, carrot and sultana cruffins (one as they came out of the oven and two later with a little cream (361 cals)

Drinks - water and milk in teas (40 cals)

Totals for today - 1790/1750 calories, 104 carbs

On the sofa today, heating up full,wrapped in a blanket - got the shivers and appear to be getting another chesty cough. OH is home early and is lighting the fire,then we are about to have a lunch of... salad! I'm sure it will be a very good salad,but why is it we crave carbs when we feel ill? What I want is a jacket potato with cheese, or a massive rice pudding! Hey ho. Pass the nuts somebody!

On the sofa today, heating up full,wrapped in a blanket - got the shivers and appear to be getting another chesty cough. OH is home early and is lighting the fire,then we are about to have a lunch of... salad! I'm sure it will be a very good salad,but why is it we crave carbs when we feel ill? What I want is a jacket potato with cheese, or a massive rice pudding! Hey ho. Pass the nuts somebody!

The potato sounds lovely with some warm soup. I'm very cold today -- I think the wind blowing makes me feel colder.

Back