Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

My son wrote a huge research paper on Mt St Helen's. He chose the topic because I used to go to a Girl Scout Summer Camp at Spirit Lake. My family took amazing photos of all the ash on their cars, etc. I have an aunt who was living in Olympia at the time.

Super! I'm so jealous. I'd love to get my DH another bug. One day, perhaps.

It was a fascinating module to work on with the year 11s, not least because I didn't know much about it. I think I was too busy being a teenager then to worry about the rest of the world!

The bug is great. She was 'born' in
2000 so she is not one of the original shape - she is one of the 'older new' shape if that makes sense! I couldn't afford one of the originals in the condition I was after.

I think we did really well with her as she is in amazing condition for the year. Hoping to get her valeted at the weekend though as the previous owner had dogs and horses. There are bits of straw in odd places and the inside needs a really good clean up. I've had dogs, so I recognise both the smell and the position of the nose marks on the back window! Was thinking of tackling it myself, but have had such a grotty week I decided I didn't want to spend half the weekend in rubber gloves, with soap suds and upholstery cleaner!

Last edited:
Great news that you got the beetle after all :)

How have things been? I have been very out of the loop with diaries for the last week - sorry!

Yep, very happy with 'Aggie' (from her numberplate).

I haven't been about much myself. Gained about half a pound at the weekend, but was sort of expecting to have gained the week before, so not too surprised/worried.

Am totally fed up with the rest of the world this week though... selling the Renault van on eBay and have had a nightmare with that, culminating in the person who didn't win it accusing us of trying to scam him in league with the person who did win it, because he didn't think we should have given the winner a few days to pay and collect!

If he 'believes' our response to his latest email, he will consider not reporting us! Don't know about believable, but my first response was almost unrepeatable! In the end I decided to ignore him, so let's see what he makes of a zero response! Er... hello... you didn't win it so it is none of your ******** business!

Then OH had a huge problem at work... can't really say much as he is most likely to make an official complaint, but basically a 'colleague' (I use the word loosely, as what I would like to call them is also unrepeatable) put OH's life, and therefore potentially other road users at risk, to make their life easier. I am not a violent or confrontational person, in fact I generally avoid confrontation in favour of diplomacy, but at the moment I would quite cheerfully punch their lights out!

One piece of good news ...OH had his first diabetic eye screening test today and although we have to wait for the official report, the tester said they looked 'perfect' which was one concern out of the way, because obviously sometimes some damage is already done pre diagnosis.

We are waiting for the van to be collected tonight and then I will be having a takeaway! It will be non Primal, but I'm having it anyway!

So, the van is picked up and paid for. OH is about to go down the town for a special meat and prawn fried rice for me, beef curry for him. There will also be cider, but as my food for the day so far has been half an ounce of jarlsberg, and a couple of slices of pork sausage, I don't think that's too bad!

Work this morning, left at lunchtime and went straight to the hospital with OH this afternoon, then drove him home and while he emptied the van and got it ready to be collected I got on with some long overdue housework, so food just didn't seem to happen!

Fire is blazing and I am in occupation of the sofa, ready to eat soon and watch some catch up TV.

Busy times! I'm glad you got the bug. I'd have it professionally cleaned -- might as well have it "as new" to you.

I'd report the other person to eBay -- they have no business contacting you once it's been sold to someone else.

I'm glad your DH hadn't had any damage to his eyesight.

It's worry when you work with careless people - I hope it gets sorted.

Great news that OH's tests were all clear :) And food sounds like a pretty reasonable compromise.

Any plans for the weekend? Looks like we might actually get some decent weather everywhere for a change.

Busy times! I'm glad you got the bug. I'd have it professionally cleaned -- might as well have it "as new" to you.

I'd report the other person to eBay -- they have no business contacting you once it's been sold to someone else.

I'm glad your DH hadn't had any damage to his eyesight.

It's worry when you work with careless people - I hope it gets sorted.

Yes Mel - definitely going for a professional clean on the bug - a truly fresh start. Have just ordered some new mats for her, and some wind/rain reflectors and some door protectors and a new back badge...

The eBay keyboard warrior has dropped off the edge! I considered reporting him as he was truly rude and offensive in his email, but he was also so full of his own self importance that I thought totally ignoring him would be better! We also spent four hours last night typing up OH's report about the incident at his work, so that's enough reporting for us for the moment! Tbh, if that incident had been carelessness it would have been bad enough, but it was calculated and deliberate, which to me makes it much worse. Anyway, we'll see what happens - I am considering an external complaint to the company about this person's behaviour, (as opposed to an employee complaint) but we'll wait and see how it is handled first. I am seething about it - could have ended up as the worst case scenario. Thankful it wasn't as bad an outcome as it could have been.

Interesting points you make there Mw.. reminds me of the very first sale I made on e-bay. I sold a double duvet and had made sure that it was washed first so when I received a very rude email from the buyer who said that it stank and had stains all over it and that it was only a single size as well I was really taken aback. Being new on there I didn't know what to do and altho' I attempted to contact the right people but got nowhere and he left a nasty feedback comment which is there to this day! Made me very nervous about using e-bay for a long while.

Great news that OH's tests were all clear :) And food sounds like a pretty reasonable compromise.

Any plans for the weekend? Looks like we might actually get some decent weather everywhere for a change.

On Saturday we're dropping the car off for its wash and brush up. We have to leave it for at least three hours, so will walk into the town centre and watch a film at the teeny cinema there. Will probably do a bit of shopping - I need to buy some black yarn as I am planning some knitted or crocheted VW cushions for my back seat. I know, I have become obsessed!

Sunday I should do some housework and washing, but as the weather forecast is very good I think we will most likely take the bug to the seaside for a walk (just read that back - we will be doing the walking, not the car! What is it about typing on a mobile or to a forum that completely takes away your ability to write proper English? Haha)

I am just about to put a couple of loads of washing through for the evening, so if nothing else gets done this weekend at least we will have clothes for work!

Are you planning one of your mammoth walks? They usually put my strolls along the beach to shame!

An 18 or so mile one hopefully :) Although its really not as impressive as it sounds as we are using one of the major trail paths so decent, flat path all the way without clambering over rocks and boulders and without any real ascents.

Pottering about in town and watching a film sounds like a much more pleasant and relaxing weekend right about now!

Interesting points you make there Mw.. reminds me of the very first sale I made on e-bay. I sold a double duvet and had made sure that it was washed first so when I received a very rude email from the buyer who said that it stank and had stains all over it and that it was only a single size as well I was really taken aback. Being new on there I didn't know what to do and altho' I attempted to contact the right people but got nowhere and he left a nasty feedback comment which is there to this day! Made me very nervous about using e-bay for a long while.

Yes Em. People put things online that they would never have the nerve to say face to face!

The second half of my post wasn't about the eBay moaner - it was about what has gone on at OH's work. Not sure if it was really clear where the two 'separated', as I was waffling on a bit, so thought I'd just say in case it is a bit confusing.

Back to eBay though - it was the first thing we have sold on there, and it has put me off a bit. I don't think being 'behind' a keyboard should ever be an excuse for bad manners, do you?

Evening MW!

You're weekend pans sound wonderful. Lots of people I know are not using eBay because of the high fees. I've only ever bought -- not sold. I've had few issues with buying -- but nothing too dreadful.

Yes Emm. People put things online that they would never have the nerve to say face to face!

The second half of my post wasn't about the eBay moaner - it was about what has gone on at OH's work. Not sure if it was really clear where the two 'separated', as I was waffling on a bit, so thought I'd just say in case it is a bit confusing.

Back to eBay though - it was the first thing we have sold on there, and it has put me off a bit. I don't think being 'behind' a keyboard should ever be an excuse for bad manners, do you?

I agree with you whole heartedly! Don't be put off tho' as I have had some very nice transactions with others.
Have you tried Amazon? The good thing with them is that you only pay charges if you actually sell an item and it can be on there for yonks.. there's no time limit. The charges are rather higher than e-bay but it still works out cheaper. I just had a sale of a book that I put on there over a year ago.

Evening Em,

I agree with you whole heartedly! Don't be put off tho' as I have had some very nice transactions with others.
Have you tried Amazon? The good thing with them is that you only pay charges if you actually sell an item and it can be on there for yonks.. there's no time limit. The charges are rather higher than e-bay but it still works out cheaper. I just had a sale of a book that I put on there over a year ago.

Helpful tip -- I might try that.

An 18 or so mile one hopefully :) Although its really not as impressive as it sounds as we are using one of the major trail paths so decent, flat path all the way without clambering over rocks and boulders and without any real ascents.

Pottering about in town and watching a film sounds like a much more pleasant and relaxing weekend right about now!

Evening MW!

You're weekend pans sound wonderful. Lots of people I know are not using eBay because of the high fees. I've only ever bought -- not sold. I've had few issues with buying -- but nothing too dreadful.

I''ve not tried Amazon, but will bear it in mind for another time, thanks.

Had a pretty good weekend, food OK but not brilliant. All the fuss at OH's work has put me out of kilter I think. It's not really a good enough excuse to have fallen off the wagon a bit, but I have. I haven't been eating a lot, but not Primal, although today was a bit better.

Yesterday (Saturday) we dropped the car off for valeting and walked the couple of miles into town. Was very disappointed though as the cinema doesn't show all its running films on a Saturday afternoon. We were hoping to catch 12 Years A Slave, but they only show it at 7.00pm. The other options were The Lego Movie, Peabody and Sherman or the second 300 film. We didn't really fancy any of them, so instead we had a leisurely lunch and did some shopping.

I managed to twist my ankle (went over badly on the side of my foot - don't know why as I was in flat boots). It wasn't too bad yesterday and I walked the two miles back to the car OK, but today it is very sore and a bit bruised, so we cut our beach walk down to just a quick hobble along the front and a long sit on the wall at Walcott!

Just about to have bacon, eggs, gf sausages, tomatoes and mushrooms to end the day, and try to ease myself back into Primal for tomorrow. Have kept off the scales - don't need to know as they may just depress me! Will WI next week and see what the verdict is.

Evening!

Sorry you injured yourself. My DH went to see the "300" film this evening. I had no interest. My son's best friend and his father (who used to work for DH) came to dinner -- so after dinner they all went to the cinema and left me with the dishes!

How's the bug? Are you driving it?

It's only natural that you would feel the angst of OH work situation but never mind... another day tomorrow.
Shame about twisting your ankle.. hope it soon gets better.. take care.

Thanks Em. Ankle still very stiff, but sure it will improve by the morning.

Evening!

Sorry you injured yourself. My DH went to see the "300" film this evening. I had no interest. My son's best friend and his father (who used to work for DH) came to dinner -- so after dinner they all went to the cinema and left me with the dishes!

How's the bug? Are you driving it?

No it didn't appeal to me either Mel. I have seen the first one and that was more than enough for me! Did you have to do the cooking as well as the washing up?

Yes the bug is on the road. They did a brilliant job on cleaning and valeting too. We went out to the coast today with a turquoise flower in situ! I have a choice of five colours depending on my mood! I am slightly obsessed now and have ordered a range of VW goodies (needed to replace the badges front and back, wheel centres, tyre pressure valve covers, new mats as the old ones have got a bit wrinkly...) and I am knitting a beetle fair isle type cushion now for the back seat!

Back