Moonwatcher's Primal/Calorie Counting Adventure!

Ooo! that all sounds really yummy Mw! Glad you're finding that you are able to digest other things now but not worth risking going too far. One of my grandsons has the same problem and I know what he used to go thro' till they found out what was causing it.
Nice day all round methinks..Yay!
Yes Em, I will still need to be very careful - I can feel it as a heaviness in my stomach today, but at least it looks like it will be a liveable option now and again, which is great.

Food for today Sunday 23rd March

Breakfast - greek yogurt, dark brown sugar and a chopped maple dried fig (213 cals)

Mid morning - six pieces of Green and Black's Lemon dark choc (110 cals)

Lunch - easy platter of leerdammer and cheddar cheese, cherry toms, sweetfire beetroot, pickled onions and a salami stick (468 cals)

Dinner - two gf sausages, smoked back bacon, toms, chestnut mushroom,s and a fried egg (569 cals)

Snack - a blood orange (70 cals)

Drinks - water, milk in earl grey tea, coffee with cream, gin, elderflower liqueur, tonic and lime (389 cals)

Totals for the day: calories 1819/1750, carbs 69g

Had a very lazy day today - moved no further than bed, sofa, bathroom and kitchen. We even had very lazy meals. It was a bright day here, but could not get in the mood for doing anything except lazing atound!

Last edited:
Morning!

Hac a very lazy day today - moved no further than bed, sofa, bathroom and kitchen. We even had very lazy meals. It was a bright day here, but could not get in the mood for doing anything except lazing atound!

Sounds like my day . . . I think I was resting up for the next three weeks. Ten days with 17 year old house guests (twins male/female). Then, one day after they leave to turn things around and get sorted for a week in the Lake District. And the usual errands, chores, etc.

Two weeks with two 17 year old lodgers! It sounds like a rest in advance was a good idea. My excuse is that it is only two weeks until school holidays and I can catch up on stuff in the first week before my OH is on leave too.

Heavy frost on the cars this morning, but a lovely bright spring day once the frost was gone. For some unknown reason my phone alarm decided to go off twenty minutes late so to take for lunch I grabbed a cooked sausage and a hard boiled egg cooked/saved from yesterday, but no time to make a salad to go with it.

Breakfast - one Tesco Lemon Curd yogurt. (250 cals) I bought this as a semi treat for the weekend, but didn't get round to eating it. It was ok, but very sweet. I do like the idea of the lemon curd with yogurt, so one of my 'must cook that in the holidays' is a sugar free lemon curd (might use a little sugar if the OH doesn't want it) to stir into some plain greek yogurt.

Hit the send button by mistake, so updating in a minute with the rest of the day...

Today continued...

Lunch ... ordered a ham salad from the canteen and added my boiled egg and cold sausage to it. (513 cals)

Dinner - small lamb shank, cooked in the slow cooker with mint sauce 'gravy', roast wedges of celeriac, carrot and parsnip in a little coconut oil (474 calories)

Snacks - half an avocado with a teaspoon of greek yogurt and some tabasco, one ounce mixed nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts) 3 pieces Green and Black Lemon flavour dark chocolate (365 calories)

Drinks - water, milk in earl grey teas, one coffee and cream (165 cals)

Todays totals: calories 1767/1750, carbs 120

Busy school day today, came home, did one wash load for OH's work shirts, put the lamb into the slow cooker and then spent a couple of hours on the laptop completing initial assessment tests for this work apprenticeship diploma. From my results, it looks like I will probably be able to miss the basic level two certificate and go straight to the next level up, which I'm pleased about, especially as it is over 30 years since I last sat an exam! The slow cooker lamb was lovely with the roast veg. I have just finished some ironing and am about to sit down with the three squares of chocolate. Soon be bedtime.

Evening!

Good sounds very good and well planned. Busy day and night - yay to starting on a higher level.

Hope everything is ok. Considering sending a search party towards Norfolk...

Hope everything is ok. Considering sending a search party towards Norfolk...

I'm still here ladies, but have had one of 'those' weeks/fortnights. Thanks for popping in to check on me though.

My work has been quite crazily busy: OH's issue at his work has been resolved, (well his personal part in it has been - the company still have to sort out various issues to make sure the same thing can't happen again), so he has had meetings about that to attend. Things worked out completely in his favour, which was good. He had right on his side, as they say, but you still don't know until it is over, do you? I have also had my interview and been accepted on to the higher level apprenticeship, but thankfully the work for that won't start until after Easter. We had to have Anglian Water out to unblock our drains, our landlord seems to have lost the order for our new bathroom heater (7 weeks waiting now), the clutch has gone on OH's work van... and so it continues!

All in all, it has been a very tiring week and to add to that I have felt very emotional, as yesterday (Friday) would have been my mum's 90th birthday, and this time of year also has some other painful memories associated with the dates.

We have had several meals out - partly because I found three lots of Tesco coupons for food at Pizza Express, Ask Italian etc., which I had forgotten about, and which expired this weekend, so we had to use them up ASAP.

Therefore, no calorie counting or carb counting for me this week. First day of the holidays today! OH has bought me a late birthday pressi of a personalised number plate for the Beetle. Get me! We popped into town to get the plates made up, did some Tesco shopping for basics and had a quick lunch at Wetherspoons. I am really pleased as I am able to relax a bit on the gluten front now. As long as I don't go mad I can tolerate small amounts, so I had a steak and kidney pudding with gravy, peas and chips. I cut off most of the suet pastry and just ate the base, but it was worth sacrificing the pastry for steak and kidney! I am experimenting to see what I can eat without too bad a reaction. Bread is still not good, but so far the pastry has been ok.

Definitely off the primal path at the moment. Over the holidays my aim is to eat basically 'healthily', but I need to eat up some of the house food supplies with minimal spending until payday, and to clear out the freezers and pantry, so I will be using up some pulses and some rice flour here and there.

I am considering an occasional fast day, or fasting windows, over the two weeks - mainly because I feel I need a bit of a kick start (re start really!) I may continue with that idea when I get back to Primal 'properly', as I have read that the two (primal and fasting) work well together. I'm not sure yet tbh. I have a huge list of spring cleaning to work through in the first week, so OH and I can enjoy some downtime in the second week. If I can get that done, hopefully with a bit of gardening, some exercise and proper cooking each day, then I will be happy. I may get some fast days in too, or I may not. Monday evening we have a Group-on voucher to use up for a three course meal, so one of my first fasting or low cal windows could well be Monday morning and afternoon!

I will try to do a bit of diary catching up over the next few days, to see how everybody is getting on. Off to bed soon.

Great catch up! Congrats on the higher level acceptance. Whew! To hubby's getting things sorted re: job. Awwww, thoughtful hubby on personalized plate. (Can you say what it is?). I'm so bad about letting vouchers expire -- I'm trying really hard to not do that. I've wasted a lot on *******s -- probably close to £100 over the years. I'm much more conscientious these days.

Sounds like a very full on week or two! Positive overall by the sounds of it, and congratulations for getting onto the higher level course.

Its good news that there is a bit more flexibility with gluten these days, must make options when eating out a lot easier.

Great catch up! Congrats on the higher level acceptance. Whew! To hubby's getting things sorted re: job. Awwww, thoughtful hubby on personalized plate. (Can you say what it is?). I'm so bad about letting vouchers expire -- I'm trying really hard to not do that. I've wasted a lot on *******s -- probably close to £100 over the years. I'm much more conscientious these days.

Thanks Mel. Used the ******* last night for the three course meal and it was fantastic, That is all my outstanding vouchers used up now, so back to some home cooking again!

I won't post the whole plate on here, but it ends in 'DUB' which I am pretty happy with. OH also spent Sunday morning giving her a thorough going over with a really good polish - bless!

Sounds like a very full on week or two! Positive overall by the sounds of it, and congratulations for getting onto the higher level course.

Its good news that there is a bit more flexibility with gluten these days, must make options when eating out a lot easier.

Thanks Atomic. There are five of us doing the course - three on the higher level and two on the standard, so a good mix. I'm sure there will be some interesting chats in the staff room. Mind you, I am a bit of a loner when it comes to things like that - I like to do my own thing. Don't get me wrong, I will always help others out, but some of the others arranged to do their assessments together - not helping each other, but sitting together at the PCs. That's not me - I like to sit down alone and get on with it!

I have overdone it a bit with the gluten over the last few days and suffered for it. I think I got carried away with the novelty of it and seeing what I could get away with. So it is back to gf for a while, with perhaps a cheat once a week/fortnight or so.

Great having vouchers to get those extra bits and pieces cheaper.. at least that's one good thing about having a partner... not a lot of voucher offers for meals for one!

Hope all goes well with the exams Mw.

That's true Em - they are usually two for one deals aren't they?

As far as I know the course will be regular assignments rather than exams as such. We'll also have to keep a portfolio of classes/successes/best practice etc. I was talking to a pupil about it the other day. They found it hard to understand...

'So, do you want to be a teacher then miss?'

'No, I like being an LSA.'

'Oh, so will you get extra money then?'

'No, not unless I go for an HLTA job, but I prefer being an LSA because I get involved in lots of different classes and work with lots of pupils.'

'Oh. Why are you doing it then?'

'To learn more about my job, to be the best LSA I can, and to be able use what I learn at the school. I'm also doing it for my own self esteem - for the sense of achievement, to feel good about doing it.'

'Oh' (looking puzzled) 'I don't really get it. We all do exams because we have to, not 'cos we want to. I suppose that is something that happens when you get old then?'

'Kind of...'

LOL!

I will post an update for food yesterday and today, although I'm not counting anything at the moment.

Monday - breakfast - greek yogurt with brown sugar

Lunch - frittata with red onion, garlic, tomatoes, salami, chillies and cheddar cheese, jerk sauce with a little cream and lemon stirred through

Dinner - at the pub, using my G r o u p o n - starter of smoked salmon and prawn cocktail, main of duck breast in orange and port jus, carrots and forestiere potatoes, dessert of gluten free sticky toffee pudding and custard, one G&T and small coffee with cream

Other drinks - water, milk in earl grey teas and a coffee with cream

Tuesday

Breakfast - greek yogurt with brown sugar

Lunch - a bulletproof coffee, a salami stick, one slice of beef and a prune Activia yogurt

Dinner - satay chicken, pepper and spinach stir fry, a satsuma

Snack - about an ounce and a half of sour cream and onion kettle crisps

Other drinks - water, milk in earl grey teas, a coffee with cream

Just had a look Mel. Interesting. I wonder how many cups a day you'd need to realistically have an effect? I will do my best though - had two so far today and more to come!

Back