Moppet - A Scottish/American Food Diary

Moppet

Hi Everyone!

I have decided to keep a food diary to keep me on the straight and narrow. When it comes to eating, I have a selective memory and usually leave out all the naughty things that I shouldn't be eating in the first place!

SW seems the best choice for me - purely and simply - because of all the choices you have. I can be red one day, green the next and then be extra easy and a lovely shade of orange the day after!

I will admit that I'm greedy. :eatdrink051:I don't have a preference when it comes to sweet or salty snacks - I like both! I can be standing in front of the kitchen cupboard eating a biscuit, have another one in my hand and still be searching in the cupboard for something else to eat!

I'm an emotional eater too. Unfortunately, I eat when I'm happy AND sad AND every emotion in between ... :mad:

I need to re-educate myself and the way I eat food. I need to eat to live and NOT the other way around.

I'm originally from Scotland and have lived in the USA for almost three years. I married my American husband in 2009 and then proceeded to try every new American food that I hadn't tried yet! I've eaten Twinkies, Bugles, Krispy Creme donuts, Funnel Cakes and Corn Dogs ... and too many other things to name! Just thinking about all the rubbish I've eaten in the last three years makes me want to cry! It always tastes so good at the time, but I look at myself now and wish I hadn't ... :mad:

Well, that's how I got to the weight I am today and how I found this forum. I'm glad I found this place, because I'm using Slimming World to lose weight and obviously can't go to classes because I live in the USA. I'm the type of person that needs support and accountability. I need someone who will cheer me on when I get a good weight loss and someone who will be supportive when I don't ... I need help ... and I'll help all I can in return.

I keep reading the same mantra - "we're in this together". No one who is here ... is doing it on their own ... and I like that feeling. :)

My challenge to lost 5 stones starts today. I'm hoping to eat mainly home cooked food as the brand names are all different over here.

All tips, tricks, recipes and any other helpful information will be gratefully received! :D

Monday, 2nd January, 2012 (Extra Easy Day)

Breakfast:
Porridge made with water and milk (2 syns)
AM Snack:
Special K Pretzel Bar (5 syns), Apple

Lunch: (ate out with friends at Village Inn)
Salad with lettuce, tomato, grated carrot, boiled eggs, lean ham, turkey, grated cheese (HexA) and fat-free Italian dressing (1 syn) Note to self - don't get this dressing again - it was blah! :(

Dinner:
Baked potato, baked beans and large lettuce and tomato salad with 1 tbs Heinz Salad Cream - this was expensive, so I'm going to finish it off and just syn it!

PM Snack:
Special K Pretzel Bar (5 syns), Banana

Syns: Total 15½
AM Snack - Special K Pretzel Bar - 5 syns
PM Snack - Special K Pretzel Bar - 5 syns
2 tbsp fat-free Italian dressing - 1 syn
Milk for porridge - 2 syns
1 tbsp Salad Cream - 2½ syns :)eek:)

I DO have a few Scottish foods that I want to use up - like the Heinz salad cream and some cream crackers that I managed to track down - I will syn them though!! They are so expensive to buy over here and I don't want to just throw them out. :D

Last edited:
Looks great although I think cheese is a HeX A but I may be wrong it might be worth checking your books, I'm in bed on my phone or I would.

My apologies if I'm wrong but I think it's HeX A is diary and HeX B is fibre

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just checked website and cheese is an a choice. I've never heard of special k pretzel bars could they possibly be a HeX B? I know the fibre plus are

Thanks Karen! You are perfectly correct - cheese is a HexA! I have changed it and syned the milk just to keep things straight.

Special K Bars are very popular in the USA - they are based on the Special K cereal, in the same way as the alpen bars are in the UK.

They weigh 22g each and have 2g of fat. They are 90 cals each. I'm not sure if they can be classed the same way as alpen light bars so have just syned them to be safe.

If anyone can tell me differently I will be over the moon as they are delicious!!

Thanks! :D

Karen

Can you help me put a ticker on my signature please? I've created one, but I'm not sure how to move it from the ticker website so that it appears on my page! Thanks! :jelous:

Hiya Moppet and welcome to our Minis world.

I live in Spain, do it on my own and a Monday weigher too, which is where I found you!

Cheese is a HexA on all plans. But now to really confuse the issue.

You can also have a portion as a HexB BUT only on Green days! It's done like this so that vegetarians can have enough protein.

Shout if you need any help. There are lots of lovely people on here who will always lend a helping hand, especially to those of us in far flung places around the world and away from the UK.

Good luck chica.

PS if the SpecialK bar is 90 cals = 4½ syns. Every little saved ½ syn helps!

Moppet said:
Karen

Can you help me put a ticker on my signature please? I've created one, but I'm not sure how to move it from the ticker website so that it appears on my page! Thanks! :jelous:

I did my ticker on ticket factory then pasted the link into my signature. As I use my phone mire often than the laptop nowadays I forget it's there

Karen

There's a tech support thread that tells you how to do it

Thanks so much for your help ladies - it's much appreciated!! :)

Tuesday, 2nd January, 2012 (Green Day)

I’m doing a Green Day today but I’m not sure what should be a Hex A or B! Can someone help? I’ve got milk, lowfat soft cheese, a wholemeal roll and some porridge and I’ve put what I think they are – please feel free to correct me!! :D

Breakfast:
28g Porridge (HexB) - I know this has now gone up to 35g (yay!) but I’m working on individual sachets that I brought back from the UK before buying a BIG tub of porridge oats.
Milk (HexA)
Banana

AM Snack:
Special K Pretzel Bar (4½ syns) - These are so delicious, they are totally worth the 4½ sins!!

Lunch:
Homemade lentil soup – made with ham stock cubes, lentils, potatoes, carrots, turnip and leek.
Wholemeal Roll (HexB)
Apple

PM Snack:
2 x Satsumas

Dinner:
Pasta with sauce made from low fat soft cheese (HexA), onions, mushroom, red and yellow peppers, toasted wholemeal roll (5 syns) and a Blue Bunny Raspberry Yoghurt!

Bedtime Snack:
Special K Pretzel Bar (4½ syns) … just the thing to go with my lemon and ginger tea!

Syns Total: 14 syns
2 x Special K Pretzel Bars - 9 syns
Wholemeal roll - 5 syns

I feel as if I've had a great two days! I haven't felt hungry once, and I haven't had that horrible, full up bloated feeling that I used to have after eating.

I haven't really exercised today - although I do intend to start going out to walk once the weather calms down - it's freezing here right now! I work in a three storey building, so I've been using the stairs today instead of the lift. Every little helps eh? :D

Moppet

Tuesday, 2nd January, 2012 (Green Day)

I’m doing a Green Day today but I’m not sure what should be a Hex A or B! Can someone help? I’ve got milk, lowfat soft cheese, a wholemeal roll and some porridge and I’ve put what I think they are – please feel free to correct me!! :D
You've got the Hexs absolutley spot on chica. Perfect. Looks a good day too.

Wednesday, 4th January, 2012

Breakfast:
Strawberry Yoghurt with sliced banana
Milk for tea and coffee during the day (HexA)

Lunch:
Lentil soup, wholemeal bread (HexB)
Vanilla Yoghurt
2 Satsumas

Dinner:
Baked Potato with cheese (HexB), sweetcorn, lettuce, tomato, 1 tbsp salad cream (3 syns)
2 Satsumas

Snacks for the Day:
AM – Apple
PM – 2 Satsumas
PM – 2 x Special K Blueberry Cereal Bar (9 syns)

Syns Total: 12

Another good day for me today! I managed to stay away from the dreaded bathroom scales AND chocolate .... two things that I don't want to be near right now.

I've been filling up on fruit when I'm feeling peckish - the christmas tangerines are still easy to get here and they are delicious - nice and sweet with no pips!

It's a bit weird letting everyone know what I ate today when you are all in bed! It's 5am in the UK right now .... 6 hours ahead of Iowa ...

Well, I'm going to head to bed with a nice cup of tea and my book. This is normally the time that I would take sweeties or chocolate with me, but I just polished my halo again and don't want to get sticky finger marks on it! :angel09:
Plus, DH is watching me ... he's read all the books and is ready to pounce on me if I stray from the straight and narrow! :D

Take care!

Moppet

Hi Moppet - it does feel weird doing things when no-one else is around!
And I'm only 1 hour different from the UK!

You food is looking really good so just you keep it up. And you'll lose those lbs.

Don't forget to tell us what sort of day it is though - I assume yesterday was Green

Hi Everyone ….

Sorry I didn’t post my munchies yesterday – I was so busy that I didn’t get time to type things out. I’ve been more proactive today and typed everything out in advance! I’m hoping that I’m staying on track. I weigh in on Monday and I can’t imagine that I’ve lost weight after eating all that I’ve eaten already this week!! :(

Friday, 6th January, 2012 - Extra Easy Day!

Breakfast:
2 x Special K Cereal Bars (9 sins)
Milk for tea and coffee (HexA)

AM Snack:
3 Satsumas

Lunch:
Rice and Beans with Cheese, Onion & lots of Mushrooms! (HexB)

PM Snack 1:
Apple

Dinner:
Knorr Teriyaki Rice - with Chicken, Mushroom, Broccoli and 1 slice toasted Wholemeal Bread (HexB)

PM Snack 2:
4 Satsumas
3 Fruit Sweeties (3 sins)

Total Sins: 12

I am SO mad :mad: at using my sins for breakfast, but I was disorganized this morning and didn’t have time for my usual porridge!

I found out on the USA food thread that the Knorr Rice AND Pasta packets are all free for me as long as I use water instead of milk. This will make a difference for me as I’m used to just throwing a jar of tasty sauce into a pot – something which I obviously can’t do now! Having the flavored rice base helps me build a tasty dinner instead of having something that tastes blah! :D

One of my New Year’s resolutions is to learn to cook with more spices and herbs … that should be interesting …. :D

Have a happy and healthy weekend everyone!!

Moppet x

Just found your diary, so I can keep up with your progress. Looks like you are hitting the ground running. :D Well done xx

Thank you! This site and the lovely people I've met here are so inspirational to me.

Also, I've picked up lots of food tips and tricks! I've always struggled in the past through a lack of support. I think it's going to be a bit easier for me this time around as I've got LOTS of support and motivation now!!

:bighug:

Moppet x

I dont go to group either hun, and I much prefer doing it at home. I mean, its all on us to lose the weight anyway and this forum is enough for me in terms of the support. You remind me of myself with getting cross at using your syns for breakfast. I nearly had that happen today with the sausages, as you know..;)

Good Morning!

I slacked a bit with my food diary over the weekend - I was just too busy spending quality time with my hubby!

I've been proactive again today and planned my menu. I'll repost if I swap anything:

Monday, 9th January, 2012 - Extra Easy Day

Breakfast:
Porridge (HexB)
Milk – will use the rest for tea and coffee during the day (HexA)

Lunch:
Chicken Rice Soup
Jelly with Marshmallows (5 syns)
2 Satsumas

Dinner:
Grilled Chicken, low-fat gravy (3 syns) mashed potatoes and corn
Jelly with Marshmallows (5 syns)

Snacks for the Day:
AM – 2 Satsumas
PM1 – Banana
PM2 - Apple

Syns Total: 13

This morning was my first weigh in and I’m happy to report that I lost 2lbs! YAY! :D

Have a happy and healthy week everyone!

Last edited:
Back