Morbidly obese??

Lela2012

Hoping someone can make me feel better here!:p

I'm a big girl, (always have been). Currently weigh around 16 stones, at 5ft 7, with a large frame. I'm a size 14-16 on the bottom, and what size I am on top depends on how the material fits around my bust. I am very large chested (HH currently), and have always been that way (at my slimmest, I wore a size 10, was 11 and a half stone, and wore a G cup).
I work in healthcare, and spend my days on my feet for up to 12 hours. My job is very physical, I am constantly bending, kneeling, lifting etc. I walk everywhere, and always use the stairs three to four times a day. I don't feel my size stops me from being very active.
However, I have finally decided to lose weight, to set a good example :p. I have just calculated my BMI, and found I am almost morbidly obese. I am actually not far off qualifying for a gastric bypass on the NHS!
Has anyone found BMI to be inaccurate? I know I am big, but didn't realise I was that big? Am I kidding myself? I could post a pic but don't know how, sorry :p
I know this post is a little weird but all replies appreciated :)

Hi Lela,

I'm the same weight as you, but only 5ft 3 (Thers always someone worse off than you, lol). My BMI is 39.4 and I'm classed as morbidly obese by my Dr. I have to say I'm a sloth and really have no energy! But I have started thr Go Lower diet and started swimming and walking more with the kids. Good luck in whatever you do to lose weight!! :)

Hi Lela,
BMI is only a guide, Sir Steve Redgrave would probably be classed as obese because BMI is the ratio between weight and height. I have always found measurements to be a better guide and what weight you feel comfortable with. You are far more likely to maintain your own chosen goal weight rather than trying to achieve a weight that has been chosen for you by someone else. Everyone is different and you have such an active lifestyle that you are probably carrying quite a bit of muscle, which will increase your BMI.

Bmi is not worth looking at, just concentrate on losing weight and eating healthy, don't take it to heart, I'm a size 12 and my Bmi doesn't look good so its just not that true at all

Back