Mortified long time lurker

Hi,

I'm Lou and have been doing slimming world for past 4 years on and off losing and putting in the same two stone! I've been lurking on here for years but have decided to come out of hiding and post. Last night I went to my local pub with my other half and was asked by a woman I haven't seen for a couple if years when my baby was due! This was in front of about 20 people! I was so embarrassed and mumbled something about being just fat before running to the toilet in tears!

I never, ever want anything like this to happen to me again and I am determined and quite excited to join class again next Thursday and finally get this 8stone off for good! I normally do quite well for a couple of months and then give up because i feel there is so far to go, so if anyone has any tips on how you keep going, especially if you had/have a lot to lose, I would be very grateful.

Hi Lou, I'm a long time lurker, first day poster too, and I too have had the dreaded 'baby' question aimed at my rather large tummy in the past couple of weeks!

Good luck to you and just think how awesome you will feel seeing that same person in a year's time a few stone lighter and looking amazing!!

Hi Lou and welcome to minis and SW. The support and help here is vast just give a shout and someone will help. Im sorry you had to endure someone asking you a horrible Q - I think we have all been there one way or another, an underhand comment, an off the cuff remark and it hurts by god it does.

Good luck on your journey you can do it stay strong

Thank you both for replying, I think she has done me a favour to be honest, I was probably kidding myself that I'm not that big!
Good luck with your weight loss journeys.

Hi Lou enjoy your weight loss experience! I have since a've joined this forum! Before I felt a bit isolated and could not talk but on here I can say all
I think by being truthful with your self is the Mega step well success well it was for me!

Hi Lou - welcome! Well done for posting and making a move. I'm honestly shocked that some people come out with some thoughtless comments like that. Why would you do it? Anyway, like you said, it might just be the trigger you need so try and find the positive (somehow?!?!). I've been doing it for a year and lost nearly 3st and November/December gained one back so im trying to get back on it too. No tips I'm afraid other than its a long slog but worth it. The best thing I've done recently is a weeks meal plan. No stressing or going off track when I get home late as I just check the list and get on and make it. We're all here if you need encouragement - maybe try keeping a diary? Mines below if you want to say hello! X

Hi and welcome out of lurking.

That was a horrible thing to happen, but I guess we all need a wake up call sometime ( mine was seeing the photos from my best friends wedding)

I think there are a number of things that I find keep me on track

1) not being too strict, so allowing myself the odd day/ meal off then getting straight back on so I don't feel restricted.

2) having friends who are doing it, and telling everyone I'm doing it, as they then tend to ask me how it's going

3) subscribing to diaries in here, they really inspire me as well as keeping me focussed

4) filling in my own diary daily

Good luck and keep talking to us, even if you struggle

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hello honey and welcome to SW :)
I also started due to the dreaded question. One of my customers at work asked me when I was due :cry: I've never cried so hard in my life tbh.. but it brought me here and I joined group too to keep me on track. I've lost a stone and a half in six weeks, I'm soooo determined. I think thats the positive of somebody saying something like that! It really does push you to want to do it for yourself!
Good luck in your journey, it makes you feel absolutely amazing when people start to notice.. and makes people really jealous too :eek:

Hi,

I'm Lou and have been doing slimming world for past 4 years on and off losing and putting in the same two stone! I've been lurking on here for years but have decided to come out of hiding and post. Last night I went to my local pub with my other half and was asked by a woman I haven't seen for a couple if years when my baby was due! This was in front of about 20 people! I was so embarrassed and mumbled something about being just fat before running to the toilet in tears!

I never, ever want anything like this to happen to me again and I am determined and quite excited to join class again next Thursday and finally get this 8stone off for good! I normally do quite well for a couple of months and then give up because i feel there is so far to go, so if anyone has any tips on how you keep going, especially if you had/have a lot to lose, I would be very grateful.

That happened to me a few times once after I'd been trying for a baby for almost 2 years :( it's the most horrible feeling ... After that I lost a ton of weight with weight watchers ( which i hated) but it worked and i finally got pregnant after my son turned 2 I was once again asked when I was due baby no 2 so joined sw and have never looked back I'm now nearly a stone lighter than I ever got to on weight watchers and am not hungry totally understand how horrible it is when ppl think your preggers and you aren't xxx

Well done for making the decision to start, once you decide and it is what you want there will be no stopping you!.

My ony tips are that the SW plan is a lifetime healthy eating plan, it is for life not just for Christmas, when I get to my target I will not be stopping sw and will carry on attending group for life.

Life can sometimes get in the way e.g. Christmas and Holidays however this does not mean that sw is over because you have a gain.

That also means that even if you have a bad day or a day off plan you must not worry or get upset and think you have blown it, just get straight back on it every time.

Good luck and you WILL get there, we all will!

It has happened to me several times. The first time was when I was over a stone lighter than I am now and weighed only 10 stone. I was in the pub and the barmaid told everyone to look at my tummy because it was clear that I was pregnant.
I also used to be a secondary school teacher at my current weight of 11 stone ish and the kids always used to ask me if I was preggers and didn't believe me when I said no. I am quite unfortunate to be apple shaped and so any weight goes straight on my tummy. I know how hurtful it is :-(
I also had an experience when I was 10 stone (and only a size 12) when a very overweight couple who were friends with my husband said to him 'is Josie pregnant because she has gained lots of weight' I had not gained anything and to make matters worse they both said to me 'right lets look at your body' and both looked me up and down before the woman said 'it must be all that wine you are drinking'. I couldn't quite believe it when I had gained no weight and was only a size 12 and she must have weighed 4-5 stone more than me.

Don't let others get you down, people can be very cruel. Good luck for some great losses.

Thank you all for your tips and similar stories I don't feel so bad now, 2013 is definatley going to be a better year! Good luck everyone for the year ahead.

Hi Lou, and welcome to this fantastic forum. People can indeed be horrible and cruel, and very very thoughtless!!!!! However, you have made a good, no brilliant decision to join S W. It is indeed a way of life for life, not a diet. I am at target and have been for over 12 months now and like another poster says, it is for life and I do go every week and still do S W. Think I always will now, I just dont think about it anymore. If there is one suggestion I can make, dont look upon your loss as a big mountain to climb, just make tiny goals at a time. Little by little and bit by bit you will get there. As I keep saying on here, a dripping tap fills a bucket eventually, and next Thursday when you join will be the start of your tap dripping and filling that bucket. We are all here to support and help in any way we can. :)

Hiya! I too am a lurker and after losing weight 4 years ago with sw, it's nearly all gone back on. I've given various diets a go and failed attempts at sw, I have decided to start back at scratch by attending a group in the new year. Am going to "finish off" all the rubbish in the cupboards, enjoy my hols away next week and then start properly week of the 7th. Want to lose about 3 stone before thinking about trying for a baby :) Goodluck to you x x

Hi Lou and everyone else :)
I've got at least 7 and a half stone to lose. I keep riding the slimming world wagon and then falling off I think because Im very isolated at home and because I'm not a social butterfly I only a few close friends who wouldn't know what a diet was even if it thumped them in the face. I'm also on medication that the initial side effect is weight gain. I've tried SW in the past and have down really well put like you I look at the top of the mountain instead of the length of the path and it seems such a long way off and I become over whelmed and disheartened and having no support I give up :( I have attended SW classes before but Im quite shy and it seems a lot of established groups that have regular members also have regular cliques too and I just ended up feeling like I needed to change my deodorant lol.
Im determined to do it this time, my knees won't hold up any longer. I went out today and bought everything I needed for 7 breakfasts 7 lunches and 7 dinners and snacks etc Ive written all my meals down and saved recipes on my iPad and I'm doing everything from scratch and my husband and kids said they will eat the same stuff as me too....so that will make it easier. I've guestimated that I'm about 17 and a half stone but will log my weight on Tuesday morning. I hope we all have a brilliant 2013 and the weight falls off all of us.
Lisa xx

Hi Loopy lou 87!

I am also a lurker...but I am posting tonight and it is keeping me away from my New year Cava!
Trust in the plan, don't starve yourself and DO NOT GIVE UP! I put on 4.5lbs the begining of December, but managed to get it off and stay the same....it would have been so easy to re start in January....with who knows the gain! Just think of the compliments you will get in the pub in 3 months, 6 months....12 months....folks won't recognise you.....just don't give up! I have lost nearly 3 stone this year ( even with my fondness for cava!) Good Luck!

Hi lisa lisa, sounds as if you are very motivated and you will do this. Good luck in your journey, just keep bobbing on here for support and info. There is always someone here to help! :)

Welcome!!! I too had the baby comment & it defo spurred me on. I started SW at the end of August & haven't looked back. Here's to a happy, healthy & slimmer 2013!!!

CJxxx

Hello! I am delurking as well and saying hi to everyone, although I have been doing SW for nearly a year now. I am sorry you had such a crappy experience in the pub and I hope that you feel more postive now. Have a wonderful new year and see you on the boards!

Back