Motivation...(exercising)

I really want to get my motivation back so I get my fat bum to the gym..... any advice on how you got your self to a gym or started doing more exercise?

Sorry bit off topic but I was thinking of having a cheat meal once a week, does anyone else do this? I was thinking of a naughty take away but not 100 % sure if to or not.

Hi, I have skinny friends who don't diet at all, just exercise. Im so jealous of what they eat when we're out, chocolate, chips, everything! Two girls swear by running, another by the gym.
I really think that one take away would be more than cancelled out by three gym sessions!

You just go, whether you have motivation or not, you have to make yourself go because to be honest, if you wait for the motivation to kick in, you'll probably be waiting a long time! That's what I had to do with the gym the first time I joined. I didn't really feel like it but I knew I had to and so even though I didn't really want to, I just got on and did it. This time I feel much better about it and enjoy it more but I still have days where I don't want to exercise, like we all do, but you just have to keep on, whether you want to or not. That's the hard bit though!

quote_179.jpg

Personally, I don't do cheat meals and I don't really see the point. You're either doing something or you're not and if you're going to do it, go all out for it. That doesn't mean you won't have over days, we all do sometimes but I prefer to keep them for occasions like because I'm going out for dinner with friends or it's a birthday, wedding etc. rather than a weekly thing. I think, personally, that if you're having a naughty take away then what you're doing all week will be pointless. You could lose a couple of lbs in the week but then put all of that back on because of the takeaway and spend the next week trying to lose the gain and maybe 1lb more or something, to then put it on again with a takeaway. It's an endless cycle if you're doing that every week. The problem with takeaways generally is that they're high carbs, high sodium and high fat so you'll see a big gain from them. It won't all be fat, mostly water weight, but can still be hard to shift. So keep it as a treat, not a cheat, and have it less often.

As for what the poster above me said. Those skinny friends can't do all of that because they go to the gym or run, though that'll help, it's because they'll have high metabolisms. Some people are just like that but unfortunately, the people who are going to be on a site like this aren't. Diet and exercise play a huge part in trying to lose weight, just seems a shame to work so hard all week to set yourself back every week with a takeaway. Not saying don't ever do it just, like I said before, keep it as a treat.

YorkshirePudding88 said:
I really want to get my motivation back so I get my fat bum to the gym..... any advice on how you got your self to a gym or started doing more exercise?

No personal experience there, but I know a bunch of people who only went to the gym when they joined with a friend or sibling. So maybe if you found someone to go with, you could remind and motivate eachother for it.

As for the cheat meal, I agree with above about it being counterproductive, but I think if you wouldn't mind slower weightloss than go for it. At least a fat meal once a week is better than everyday.. And I find if you have some leeway to look forward too, a diet is much easier to follow.

Is there any kind of exercise you really like? I think finding something you are into is the key....as it will help keep u motivated and committed when the initial phase of interest wanes a bit x

I would first say find something that you really enjoy that gives you a good workout at the same time. When you really enjoy something it does not register in your mind a chore and you want to do it. When you enjoy something you never have the nagging voice of do I have to do this now. I was at a gym for 2 years but I gave up my membership this year because I hated it after a while. I hated running on a treadmill for an hour and looking at the same thing. I enjoy it more running outside to see new things as I run. I hated weight training in front of guys who are showing off more than being serious, so I joined a zumba class and do my body weight training at home. I bought workout DVD to use indoors when it is raining that I enjoy working out to. I have a range from cario only to more intensive (ex Jillian Michaels stuff).

Overall only you can motivate yourself. You need to find something that you truly want and you need to get your mind in the mindset that all the things you are giving up now will get you what you really want in the long term. There are days that even I'm in the blah to workout but I think about what I really, really want and then drag myself to my workouts.

For me motivation was severely lacking in the first couple of weeks, and wrote a similar thread to this somewhere! I've found the following things have helped me :

- Go early - I find it easier if I dont have to spend the day thinking of ways to get out of doing the exercise. Get up and go out straight away!
- Follow a pattern - I'm doing couch to 5k - an app which gets you jogging and have found it fantastic for keeping at it and more importantly getting a proper workout. Before I got bored at 10minutes but now im exercising for 30mins+ 6 days a week
- Give it time but people will start to notice - I'm already getting compliments and it's a real booster.

In regards to the cheat meal - I dont have one every week but ive decided if I do cheat every now and again it's not the end of the world. The more important thing is to really enjoy the cheat so have something that you love and dont go overboard. I cheated last weekend but was still within 1600 cals for the day so not too much damage :)

just my 2p but I am only on the beginning of this journey so be interested to see how much I falter :)

There are plenty of motivational quotes and pictures; you just have to go fishing for them!

Just picture where you could be in 6 months from now and imagine everyone you know complimenting you. Set goals and work towards them - remember to be realistic, but still work hard.

Good luck!

Motivational quotes are the best :) music gets me going too - I feel pumped and just HAVE to move my butt!

Small goals get me motivated! Couch to 5k app, working out small weightloss goals, going to the gym/ doing your workout first thing! Visual rewards like my SW certificates get me motivated! I hate exercise, i detest the burn, but I have fallen in love with that satisfied feeling I get when I have reached the end of my workout! PRICELESS...

You cant diet/eat healthy without planned treats! Not planning something naughty regularily is a unrealistic approach to losing weight! I know if I gave up on treats I would fail before Id even started

Back