Motivation

Hi fruitybabe, hands up I did say the words "Just get off your arse and go, even if you think you will fail" it's just my regular language :booboo: I popped back in later to see how you were doing and when I read it again I realized it wasn't the best choice of words and changed it to "Just get up and go, even if you think you will fail" and stuck a smiley on the end. I did that a good hour before you posted your reply though, so you must have noticed it had been changed and that Id seen my mistake? :confused:

Anyway, Im sorry if you read it in a way I didnt intend and it has upset you :( I think it's pretty clear from both my posts I was trying to help and not be rude/derogatory, I just wanted to try to motivate you as there is just never gonna be a right time, it simply won't happen until one day you do just get up and do it. I hope that day comes for you soon x :)

Anyhow, I am now gonna get off my own fat arse to cook the tea such that my arse will soon be slightly less fat tomorrow :rolleyes:

*Trundles off, foot firmly in mouth* :wave_cry:

Well I've read through all the posts and I have to ask...
Why did you start this thread if you were going to ignore all the advice given and make villains of people who were trying to help you?
Now please don't add me to your reasons for not taking control, because it's your life, if you're happy the way you are then carry on!
But if not, are you going to change anything?

Hi Fruitybabe

Everyone has given great advice already, I don't think they were meaning to be rude in any way, but I think when you're not in the right head space for a diet then motivation can sometimes feel like criticism, or like you're being pressured into it which obviously isn't nice. I hope you realise people are just trying to encourage you:)

To answer your question though... it's bloody hard. Before now, I'd tried SW twice, WW once and Xenical. If I could go back in time to visit myself before I stopped SW the first time, I would, to discourage myself from giving up because I honestly had no reason - I just moved in with my bf and we were too lazy to cook SW meals so had chippies, pizzas, junk food etc instead and I put every single pound I had lost back on in less time than it took me to take off. Every time I tried to lose weight again I couldn't stick to it and part of me thinks it's cos I was angry with myself for putting it back on, like I didn't deserve to lose weight.

But I do! And it's taken me way too long to realise this. It's taken me being so fat I can't fit into the lab coats at college or wear clothes I want to, or climb a few stairs without getting out of breath! The only thing motivating me is myself and all the reasons I want to lose weight. Before now, my motivation was clouded by how unhappy I was, how upset I was at not being able to stick to it, and I couldn't shake it. Then one day (a couple of weeks ago) I was like WTF am I doing? And it was just like a lightbulb going on:)

If you can't join SW until the new year that's not a big deal really. You have 5 ish weeks until January, maybe you could start following SW at home until you join? Your grocery costs might increase, mine did, but it's not by much. And there's lots of cheap ways to do SW, you don't have to eat chicken and steak every night.

Sorry for the essay! I hope this helps, good luck to you!

xxxx

I don't see that what was said was rude at all. I do get that you're head might not be in the right place for this though in which case i agree with Shirleen - not sure what the point is?

Anyway, since you have asked :)

You sound youngish, so apologies if you aren't.

Imagine that you are 30, and a spinal consultant tells you you have the back of a 90 year old woman. Imagine that he tells you it could have been prevented if you'd just got off your arse, done some exercise & eaten less cake.
Imagine you go on holiday & find yourself booking extra legroom seats, not for a 'treat', but because your knees can't cope with you sitting in that confined a space for 10 hours.
Now imagine you are on a train, and a complete stranger feels the need to tell you that you are so fat, you should be forced to buy a first class ticket.
Imagine the shame when a packed carridge if commuters look at you like you are something on their shoe- but no one comes to your defence.
Imagine avoiding that train for 9 months in case that bigot is on it.
Imagine your husband having to spend an entire evening comforting you as a result of this bigot.

This was my life before i walked into a SW group. It is not my life now, nor will it ever be again. Do something before its too late.

My thoughts...for what it is worth..

I do understand the real desire to lose weight, but finding it difficult to restart.

Jaylou said earlier on that losing weight is as much a mental journey as a physical one (or something similar!) - so true.

I lost 5 stones in 2010 and am now a stone and a half heavier, because I lost the mental battle. Oh! and also, because I stopped going to group!

I've known for a couple of months that I needed to do something, but it has taken me that time to get back into the right frame of mind.

I also changed group - couldn't face going back (hanging my head)! Totally love my new group and over the moon (and I mean, completely over the moon - dancing with excitement) with my 5lb loss in week one!!

Mentally - making that first step was hard, but I feel fantastic now, simply because I am taking action - I will never, ever, ever go back to being that very large person that I was 2 years ago!

So.....if now is not right, I understand. But you are getting there and one morning you'll wake up and you will know that 'today is the day'! Don't beat yourself up, you'll only make it worse.

FruityBabe, I was aware when I wrote what I did that it could come across as snarky and mean, which is why I intentionally said I didn't mean to come across that way. It's so hard to tell tone and inflection from the written word, but I can guarantee you that every single person who posted on this thread was offering only motivation and not snide remarks.
I know this because I have recieved and given my own fair share of tough love on here, and it was all to the better. Sometimes we need someone to urge us on and tell us to go for it, because for whatever reason we just can't do it for ourselves.
There's no reason you have to join a group until you can afford it (although I will say that before I joined I gave myself the same reasons - can't afford it - and have to admit that I always, ALWAYS scraped up the price of a take-away or a bag of sweets!). You can spend a quid a week and weigh in with the chemist's scales. You said you followed this plan before, so you know what's what. You CAN do this, group or not! I promise by the time you can afford to attend groups that you'll already be coasting along on greased (with frylite!) wheels and will feel so confident and in control.

But... if you don't want to do it... you don't want to do it, and no amount of inspiration, coaxing, badgering, motivating will help.

I do hope you decide to do it for yourself. You deserve to feel confident and happy. x

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and advice.
Shirleen just thought I would answer your question: I started this thread to ask people what their motivation was and how they keep going on plan.
I have had some good replies and advice and replies that felt to be more judgemental but then I did put it out there and I appreciate everyone's views but maybe there is a better way to say things for future reference.
Going forward I am going to start planning and will take on board everything, everyone has said... there's some really good advice in there. It will be a new start for me and this time I will succeed and not give up. Will just have to turn to you guys if I need you :)
You are all doing so well on your journeys and I wish you all the best :)

@mandy thanks for that I do appreciate it :)
I totally understand that things can sound different in text and I know everyone had good intentions underneath it all.
I probably make things worse as I am feeling so low about things atm, but I know as soon as I start back to class and start losing I will feel so much better for it.
SW is the best for me I know that now and which I had never stopped ;)

You are all doing so well on your journeys and I wish you all the best :)

Yeah most of us are doing well on our journeys...but we're not infallible...none of us.

There's always the chance any one of us could lose faith, go off plan or have something personal happen that would emotionally place us in a position where SW would be the last thing on our minds.

That's the beauty of a support forum like this, for the times like those. Let's not get hung up about Christmas. It will come and go before you know it.

Slimming World is not just for Christmas...it's for life! :8855:

Scorpiolady2710 said:
Yeah most of us are doing well on our journeys...but we're not infallible...none of us.

There's always the chance any one of us could lose faith, go off plan or have something personal happen that would emotionally place us in a position where SW would be the last thing on our minds.

That's the beauty of a support forum like this, for the times like those. Let's not get hung up about Christmas. It will come and go before you know it.

Slimming World is not just for Christmas...it's for life! :8855:

So true - today i have fallen off the wagon - but i got straight back on. Thats the important bit!

kingleds said:
So true - today i have fallen off the wagon - but i got straight back on. Thats the important bit!

Yea several giant White chocolate buttons just fell into my mouth lol!

Isn't that strange because I was just attacked by some after eight mints...Lol:8855:

Hi Fruitybabe.
Come and join our SW world! You will be grateful that you did, we all went through the "first night" when we had to decide to go to our first SW class!
I was advised by my doctor to slim or cut several years of my life! A great wake-up call! I joined SW at the end of April this year at nearly 20stone and out of breath and sleeping most of the day.....
I walked in a room full of women and I was the only man, also I was almost the oldest one there!
I was warmly welcomed and have enjoyed every week since and as a bonus lost weight every week since!
Now a lot fitter! correct blood pressure, my T2 Diabetes now under control and my daily tablet input reduced.
Go for it now! You will not regret it! try to find the weekly money, a small amount to pay......
Pete

Shirleen said:
Yea several giant White chocolate buttons just fell into my mouth lol!

I didn't even know these existed!

OP - i wanted to say thanks for posting this question. Not sure if we helped you, but it definitely helped me to read other why peoples motivations & write down my own for joining SW. Its easy to forget sometimes why we do this - this thread reduced my potential day of the wagon to a handful of crips, 1/2 a sandwich & a mince pie, so thanks. I hope you get the confidence to join us x

Oh I am so similar. I will be 100% for days, maybe weeks then all of a sudden just have a day where I eat everythnig in sight. Yesterday at work I was really good until I was annoyed at having to stay late for the 3rd time this week. Straight to the vending machine and one lion bar inhaled before i had a chance to reconsider!

I got home, had dinner, then had to try to resist the temptation to have even more because my thinking was that I had ruined the day anyway. I think I had 2 babybels, 2 jubblies, a small glass of wine and a curly wurly......*sigh*

Thanks again for your posts guys :)
Kingsled good for you so glad that reading my thread helped you through. One of my big problems when I mess up with a diet/plan is I beat myself up and end up going off the rails. That is definitely something I need to work on and it won't happen over night. There's so much good advice here, and Pete I know what you mean I have rejoined several times and each time I feel sick with nerves but have the best welcome as it is always the same group I go to made lots of friends there.
I have to stick at it and as someone said earlier in a post I wish I could go back in time and tell myself not to quit the very first time I would have been almost there on my journey.
First week in jan I will be back there, I also read something about new books and packs? So it's good timing at least ;)
Thanks again everyone, I really do appreciate your honesty and advice... I hope I can do the same in the future for you too :)

@ermintrude.... Thanks for saying that I thought I was cracking up lol.
I do appreciate what you said and I understand. Gonna have a big think over the next few days and see whether I will go back next week.
I suppose I am afraid of gaining over Christmas and going back to class and facing the scales and the weighing person. Another question the person who weighs you are they allowed to discuss your weight with anyone outside class or within the class?

Back