Motivation

FunnyFarm

Silver Member
I've really struggled in the first few days, so thought I'd make a list of things to keep me going. I thought I'd share them here in case they help anybody else, and maybe people can add their own so we can have one long thread of reasons and things to keep us going!

CHOICE.
I need to remember that it's my choice to do this diet. I am not deprived of food, I am choosing a better life. I could have whatever it is I'm craving if I wanted it, I've chosen not to have it because I DON'T want it. I want to be happier.

TIME.
Whenever I feel like it's going to take forever, I'm going to remind myself that when I first started thinking about losing weight, if I'd started then I would've been at goal now. I've spent more time being unhappy with my weight, crying before I have to go out, avoiding my friends so they don't talk about me, feeling uncomfortable and hating who I am, than I will EVER spend on this diet.

GETTING THINNER.
This is a bit weird, but I like to imagine myself shrinking when I'm feeling like I'm struggling. Even weirder, I breathe in as I'm imagining it. Then I think about eating as expanding me. I try to think of it in immediate terms, because it's so much easier to resist. Do I want something to eat? Yes. Do I want to get instantly bigger? No. The reason it's harder to resist is because the reward/punishment comes up to a week after the decision.

REWARDS.
I've set myself rewards for reaching certain goals, I've got through a few cravings by googling the next reward so I've got something to look forward to.

I am clinging onto each and every one of these today! (day 4).

Funnyfarm you will be fine! You've written a brilliant list of reasons here why you should keep at it. The way I see it is like this, every time I'd dieted before and failed it was because I got frustrated at not losing all my weight overnight. Before I knew it I started doubting myself, feeling sorry for myself and eatingfor comfort. Once I'd eaten something bad I would think "sod it I've ruined it now" and carry on bingeing.

If any of us are going to succeed we need to look at what we did wrong and make sure we don't do it again. For me its the whole "I'll just have one bag of crisps and start again tomorrow". I've realised now that the only person I was kidding was myself so i'm making sure I don't give in AT ALL!

I think this forum is going to be a huge part in my journey, its been so motivational so far and I read stories and diaries of peoples weight loss every day.

Good luck matey, if u need any support I'm here all the way.

Hol x

That's why I love this sort of strict diet. It's easy for 1 packet of crisps to become two, or even a salad to get slowly bigger, with a little bit more dressing, and the lines slowly blur until you're back to square one.

This is going to give me the chance to remember things I enjoy that don't centre around eating, and how much more pleasurable they'll be when I'm comfortable in my own skin. I need food to have a normal place in my life, which is primarily as fuel, and not as the gateway to happiness!

loving the thread, will be writing down what motivate me soon and then i will most it to the thread. good luck on your journey

This was the first thing I read this morning - what a positive start to the day :) I can't tell you how much everything you've both written here is true with me. It's so comforting to know there's people that think/feel/do the same things. Truth is we probably all feel the same way and all go through the same torment time and time again but if others have succeeded then there's no way were not going to either :) xxx

I'm starting tomorrow and i too am having to remind myself that this i MY CHOICE - i don't have to do a VLCD, i don't even have to diet, but i WANT to because i want to lose this excess baggage as soon as possible!

Diembroadhurst, I just read your post, amazing, I will think of the mountain every time I am going to cave in and eat something I shouldn't. I wish I'd read it half an hour ago though, before the two chocolates I ate. I had been so good all day until then. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Thanks again for the motivational thought. X

To keep me motivated I have printed off two photos and put a copy of each in my purse and on my kitchen wall. There is one of me at a party a couple of weeks ago where I look twice the size of everyone else. The other is me on a night out where (although I didn't think so at the time) I look pretty good.
When I look at them now it reminds me of why I'm doing this and the choice I make constantly to stay on track and move towards long legs ant strapless tops or fall off stay miserable.

Thank you for posting as i'm glad i'm not the only one who struggles!! I'm on day 5 and struggled this weekend as been on a family holiday where normally the word 'holiday' means i will eat whatever i want and put on weight and make myself more depressed when i get home. I made the conscious decision to start this before i went as i wanted to start as i mean to go on. A few (thousands probably!!) times I nearly fell off the wagon with food all around me but now i am home i feel proud of myself that i didnt give in!! A couple of things though.....Am i likely to be in ketosis now?? yesterday i had a metallic aste in my mouth and didnt feel as hungry but today i didnt and felt hungry all day with headaches and lethargic and nauseous?? I hope i feel better soon as today was the worst for me but reading this thread has motivated and reminded me of the reasons why i am doing this....THANKYOU!xx

Great idea! I might do the same for myself in my diary!

I think the 'my choice' thing is most important. Helps get rid of the feelings of deprivation.

Another thing I've done is organised my wardrobe into size order (not what the label says!) Going from fits me now to OMG I used to be able to wear that!
It's so visual that every morning I'm reminded why I should stay 100%

Wow guys I am so totally inspired by this thread. So much of this is true for me too, I guess we all have a little bit but it's definitely something I'm holding on to. It's my choice, it's my life and I always try to remember that food will still be there when I'm done. And after this VCLD I know I'll appreciate it more, I won't stuff or comfort eat, I'll think about what I put in my mouth just like I am while I'm on Exante.

This is where I take control and change my life. That's my biggest motivation.

Thank you again for the very inspiring posts, it's the best thing to read on a Sunday morning! :D

Back