moussaka recipe needed

i adapted this from a lamb moussake but it was so nice i thought i would post anyway as its meat free (but my husband who cant stand the very thought of veggie food loved it). in fact am making it again for tonight and tomorrow!

syn wise - your synning 25g of feta (so thats 3 syns if using normal and 2 syns if using reduced fat) oh and your synning the parmazan (i didnt though as i use so little).
if you want to use mince do the same but add extra lean lamb mince (which you cant buy so you need to get a butcher to mince some lean lamb steaks or something like that).

Ingredients
2 aubergines (thinly sliced - maybe about cm think or little thinner)
large onion (diced)
2 gloves of garlic (diced)
mushrooms (sliced)
red pepper (diced)
tomato puree
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
large tin of green lentils (i think it was 400g as same size as tomatoes)
dried mixed herbs
cinnamon
100g feta cheese (diced small bits)
1 medium egg
150g total 0%
Bit of parmesan cheese (finely grated)

Method
1.Oven on 200 (for fan oven - add 20 degrees if not a fan oven)
2. 2 baking trays, covered in fry light and then put sliced aubergines on it (and fry light the top)
3. Turn over after 7-10 mins when getting brown. Add more fry light and do the other side for same time. Then set aside
4. Lower oven to 180
5. Make the "mince" - fry onion, mushrooms, garlic and red pepper (i do each separately and add to a separate larger pan.
6. Add tomatoes, tomato puree, little bit of water, green lentils and herbs and seasoning (salt / pepper). Cook on low heat to simmer for about 20 mins (dont let it boil as said that on can of lentils!)
7. Make up cheese sauce. Beat egg and add yoghurt and diced feta. Season with pepper (not salt)
8. Layer up with half the "mince", half the aubergines, rest of "mince", rest of aubergines, add the cheese sauce. Grate the parmaean over it
9. Cook at 180 for 30 mins

The recipe Geordie lass has posted could be adapted with meat instead of the lentils. You could use extra lean mince beef or like she suggests- get some lamb minced by a butcher. I used to cobble something together similar, using yoghurt and quark with seasoning to make the cheesy sauce.

Back