Move to Reading...?

Roziee

Gold Member
I guys,

Thanks for your advise on my other thread :)

I need some more advise please! Hehe

Because of hubby's job, he's commuting quite a bit from where we live now to reading where he works.. It makes sense for us to move there as it would mean commuting would reduce from 90 mins to 20 and I would see more of him in the evening! He's really tired during the week because of the commute, feel so sorry for him.

The commute for me wouldn't be bad- 30 minutes train journey and then 10 minutes tube journey and the financial difference wouldn't be any different.. The rent is the same if not cheaper and you get a proper house instead of the box flat we live in now with a lovely garden. The travel would be much expensive for me moving to reading but hubby's diesel is so much now that it will balance itself out.

I suppose I would like to hear people's opinions who have lived in reading and whether is worth moving there.. And people that commute from London to Paddington...

Rozie

I have lived in Reading for eight years, before that I lived in a village north of Reading for 30 years, and then before that I lived in Twyford, just east of Reading, for four years. So I know it reasonably well.

Before I retired, I used to commute from Reading to Paddington, then on the Circle Line. Like any other rail journey, it had its problems from time to time, but I think it is probably better than most.

You will need to consider quite carefully where in Reading (it's a big place!) you would like/can afford to live, and how you will be getting to the station. The ideal is to be within walking distance. Car parking at the station is expensive - although less so if you have a season ticket - so you need to factor that into the equation.

You might like to consider Caversham. It's the other side of the river, and slightly more expensive than Reading itself, but it is nicer (I think!) and lots of Caversham is within easy walking distance of the station.

Where is your husband's workplace? That will also influence where you might choose to live. Driving to Reading is bad enough - driving across it is even worse!

Personally, as a place to live, I like it here. There is a lot going on, loads of restaurants, lots of green open space, and of course the rivers (we have two of them!).

Might I suggest that you check out a website called Reading Forum? You can find it at www.reading-forum.co.uk It is a really great, friendly forum for people living in, or interested in, Reading and has a special section for people thinking of moving there.

I live in farnborough. Its a 30 min commute, depending on trafficfrom Reading. Its also a 35min train journey into waterloo. Might be worth a look?

I've done both commutes. Agree with the above poster. If your hubby works near/ at TVP you'd be better off in the Earley area. Same goes for Green park. Getting across to those 2 places from Caversham can be a nightmare, but it is a lovely place to live.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to commute on the reading - paddington line. Over £450 a month to stand like a sardine? No thanks! I pay £350 a month, and rarely find I am without a seat on my line.

Having said that, if you are used to london somewhere like farnborough might be a bit boring. Reading is def more cosmopolitan!

Thinking about it overnight, I was going to mention that the journey into Waterloo might be better for you, depending on where you have to go after that.

I used to travel to Paddington slightly out of the main rush hour both morning and evening, as I was able to start work late and leave late, so I didn't have too much trouble with standing, but I understand it has got worse in the five years since I retired.

The other thing to think about when commuting in Reading is that there are only two bridges over the Thames, and they are both bottlenecks. If you look at the map, you will see that there is also a bridge at Sonning, but this is on a narrow road, with traffic lights on the picturesque but ancient bridge, and is to be avoided at all costs!

You might want to consider Wokingham actually. Very near Reading. Train in to Reading centre in about 15 mins, so good for a night out or commute. Has a lovely town centre, decent restaurants as well. Rents etc are reaaonable. And it has a direct line into Waterloo as well, though not sure how long it takes.

AnnaFaraday said:
I have lived in Reading for eight years, before that I lived in a village north of Reading for 30 years, and then before that I lived in Twyford, just east of Reading, for four years. So I know it reasonably well.

Before I retired, I used to commute from Reading to Paddington, then on the Circle Line. Like any other rail journey, it had its problems from time to time, but I think it is probably better than most.

You will need to consider quite carefully where in Reading (it's a big place!) you would like/can afford to live, and how you will be getting to the station. The ideal is to be within walking distance. Car parking at the station is expensive - although less so if you have a season ticket - so you need to factor that into the equation.

You might like to consider Caversham. It's the other side of the river, and slightly more expensive than Reading itself, but it is nicer (I think!) and lots of Caversham is within easy walking distance of the station.

Where is your husband's workplace? That will also influence where you might choose to live. Driving to Reading is bad enough - driving across it is even worse!

Personally, as a place to live, I like it here. There is a lot going on, loads of restaurants, lots of green open space, and of course the rivers (we have two of them!).

Might I suggest that you check out a website called Reading Forum? You can find it at www.reading-forum.co.uk It is a really great, friendly forum for people living in, or interested in, Reading and has a special section for people thinking of moving there.

Hi Anna- thank you so much for your reply, really appreciate it. I'd have to live near reading canal station because I wouldn't be driving to the station unless hubby would be able to drop me off.. Which he could I suppose.

Yeah hubby has heard about the journeys within reading- but hes driving for an hour and half in one journey and it's too much now.

Oh thank you for the forum, I will definitely check it out x

kingleds said:
I live in farnborough. Its a 30 min commute, depending on trafficfrom Reading. Its also a 35min train journey into waterloo. Might be worth a look?

I've done both commutes. Agree with the above poster. If your hubby works near/ at TVP you'd be better off in the Earley area. Same goes for Green park. Getting across to those 2 places from Caversham can be a nightmare, but it is a lovely place to live.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to commute on the reading - paddington line. Over £450 a month to stand like a sardine? No thanks! I pay £350 a month, and rarely find I am without a seat on my line.

Having said that, if you are used to london somewhere like farnborough might be a bit boring. Reading is def more cosmopolitan!

Farnborough.. I've heard of that.. I'm originally from Lancashire so a quiet place wouldn't bother me :) I will check it out for sure..

AnnaFaraday said:
Thinking about it overnight, I was going to mention that the journey into Waterloo might be better for you, depending on where you have to go after that.

I used to travel to Paddington slightly out of the main rush hour both morning and evening, as I was able to start work late and leave late, so I didn't have too much trouble with standing, but I understand it has got worse in the five years since I retired.

The other thing to think about when commuting in Reading is that there are only two bridges over the Thames, and they are both bottlenecks. If you look at the map, you will see that there is also a bridge at Sonning, but this is on a narrow road, with traffic lights on the picturesque but ancient bridge, and is to be avoided at all costs!

Thank you for that. Do u mean thinking about travelling from reading to Waterloo or elsewhere?

kingleds said:
You might want to consider Wokingham actually. Very near Reading. Train in to Reading centre in about 15 mins, so good for a night out or commute. Has a lovely town centre, decent restaurants as well. Rents etc are reaaonable. And it has a direct line into Waterloo as well, though not sure how long it takes.

Yeah I have a colleague who I work with who travels in from Woking and she comes to Waterloo... I'll check that out too..

We were talking yesterday about it and the more we talked the more we thought we should move. I suppose it's just a big move that's all. Been living in nw London for 3 years now but it is difficult for hubby now and even though his salary is more than it used to be, his quality of life isnt as good.

Thank you so much guys :)

Rozie

All I can say is good luck with it all.
My Pastor and his family moved to Reading this summer and seem to be enjoying it.
It's

I went to Wokingham recently it's a lovely place!

I hope everything is sorted well. I'd factor in the proposed massive increases in rail travel too though!

Thanks shirleen :)

Hubby should have booked some viewings for the weekend. Quite excited to live in an actual house!

Back