Moving back home for summer - can't go to SW.

Oscaria

I attend a Slimming World group in the centre of Glasgow where I go to university and thought I would be living in Glasgow over the summer, but I will in fact have to move back home for the summer holidays to a town 30 mins away.

I still want to keep doing SW and going to the gym, but I have kept it a secret from my family and friends, even though they have noticed I have lost weight. I don't want to use the distance as an excuse to become lazy. I have found a SW group which is a 5 min walk from my mum's house, and would like to attend that group over the summer.

Do you think I should tell my mum about SW? I am concerned about gaining weight over the summer. The gym would be a 30 min train or bus ride away, but I wouldn't mind that.

I'm not sure whether it would be best to keep going to the group I go to now, where I know the leader, or go to this group near the house. It would seem to make more sense to go to the nearer one, but if I got the train to Glasgow for my group at 1pm, I could walk to the gym after it and come back home, killing two birds with one stone ...

I'm not sure why I'm so scared of telling anyone. I think it's just a fear of failure so if I have a gain or plateau, no one would know but me.

Tbh do what suits you hun. I know how you feel about not wanting to tell people about going to class cos then everything does suddenly come under the microscope.

Are there reasons FOR and AGAINST telling your mum? and which are the most likely to help or hinder your weight loss/ sticking to sw?
I liked having the positive comments off people but also found it a pressure at times and when I started a new job I didn't tell people until they started to notice I'd lost weight and it was nice not to have to report to everyone on how the week had gone. There is no shame in gains, sts or plateaus though as it is a change of lifestyle really and sometimes that's just going to happen :)

Maybe going to your regular group will help with continuity for you and if you can go to the gym at the same time then all the better? or did you fancy a change?
only you know what will work best for you overall and I hope you can find a way to make it work for you to continue with losing the weight you want to lose!

If it will influence what your mum cooks for you then I'd tell her.

When I first joined SW I only told my sister & OH and as I started losing weight just dropped it into conversation.

However, I was very careful not to tell MiL & I made sure the family knew she wasn't to know & the reason is I knew she'd sabatage me. She always brings round wine & chocs on a Saturday night & I just know she'd encourage me to eat more.

I've been at target 13 months know & she still doesn't know. If it comes up in conversations I now feel confident enough to tell her.

You need to ask yourself why wouldn't you tell your mum. If you share things with her I would, and maybe tell her to keep it to herself.

Happy Holidays said:
When I first joined SW I only told my sister & OH and as I started losing weight just dropped it into conversation.

However, I was very careful not to tell MiL & I made sure the family knew she wasn't to know & the reason is I knew she'd sabatage me. She always brings round wine & chocs on a Saturday night & I just know she'd encourage me to eat more.

I've been at target 13 months know & she still doesn't know. If it comes up in conversations I now feel confident enough to tell her.

You need to ask yourself why wouldn't you tell your mum. If you share things with her I would, and maybe tell her to keep it to herself.

Hasn't your mil noticed the weightless though?

Hi Oscaria
I know exactly how you feel.
I have told my hubby and sons I'm doing slimming world cos I live with them at home and they would wonder what was up when my meal choices etc were so different. Plus I need the encouragement and they have been amazing. They put no pressure on me and even better they are more than happy to eat "slimming world" meals in fact my hubby is now a star slimming world chip maker!
But ... I didn't tell my other family members who don't stay at home. Mum, dad brothers etc.
When I did SW in the past my mother used to phone every week to see how I did and woe betide if I stayed the same or gained it was like being a kid again and feeling I had let her down ...
I didn't tell the girls I work with but they have now started to comment on my weight loss (18 lbs in 6 weeks woop woop)
And I just told them I,m cutting down. I hate having to report on a weekly basis how I'm doing
Only you can decide who to tell and when. You could tell your mum you are "cutting down" on fatty food or that you are trying to eat healthy food that way any food choices in the house can be explained.
That could tie in with going to the Gym on a regular basis.
I'm based in Glasgow too. We can be funny people eh?

If it will influence what your mum cooks for you then I'd tell her.

Unless she is a sabotaging mum who might cook worse things if she knows :eek:

I think happy holidays has hit the nail on the head - if you're mum wouldn't be supportive then keep it secret, if she would be supportive then tell her and ask her to keep it secret.

Either way, I personally think telling her would be a good thing cos if mum's doing the cooking then you really need to get her onside - perhaps offer to do the cooking for the family and show your mum how to cook "normal" family meals the SW way. I honestly believe that the family members that don't know you're dieting won't be able to tell the difference between fatfree cooking and normal cooking. And if they do, then just say it tastes a bit different cos you cooked it instead of mum. ;)

My daughter in law is amazed when I serve up a big roast dinner, spag bol, chilli, etc and tell her its all free food on the SW plan.

I think you should tell your family, you have already come so far, they can see it Is working for you so I would tell them if you feel comfortable that they would support you!

Also I would still go to your other class as it will keep some sort of stability and support for you at a time when you are moving and might or might not have your mums support.

I do understand about pressure though at the start I was still living at home and I got the comments off my parents &brother oh ANOTHER diet, and the raised eyebrows etc but when they saw the weight loss, the confidence and the amazing foods I cook they were all brilliant & my mum rings every Thursday now to see how I got on with weighin though it's like I've let everyone down if I put up :(

Keeps me on my toes though :)

Back