MRS CD 2013 Onwards...

AAAARRRGGGHHHH! Completely broken tin opener, no spare one and can't go buy one as kids all in bed. I'm hungry and all there is to eat blasted tinned fish :mad:.
Tomorrow I'm going to buy 3 tin openers so this never happens again LOL.
I'll go have a cup of hot milk instead. Maybe with praline flavouring :).

YAY that's a good loss, well done, as for MrCD maybe its the muscle on him weighing more, measure as well, remember that you might be losing inches instead of the pounds. x

Arrggghhh have you got one of those pointed opener things that open tins of milk, other thing you could do (be very very careful) is to use a dinner spoon, put bowl of it against the edge of the top of the tin, bang it down so the spoon bit breaks the surface of the tin, don't take it out, then use the spoon and carefully go around the edge twisting the spoon so it cuts it like opening a pack of meat a bit at time. Hubby said to do it this way, but it takes quite a bit of effort. Youtube might have a how to do it video. 'Opening tin with a spoon' see how it goes.

Thanks DNSF, only problem is that as I'm here on my own with the kids - I daren't do anything even slightly foolish with the tins in case (knowing me) it all went horribly wrong and I ended up in A&E! I'll try it when hubby with me and then I'll know how to for future reference...of course, buying lots of spare tin openers it wont ever happen again I hope!

don't blame you one bit. I have this obsessed fear that on the nights hubby goes out I need to turn my car round in the drive whilst DH is still home or DD is still awake, I'm convinced that one day I will reverse out of the drive to bring it back in right way to have a car come out of nowhere and nobody would know. We live on a busy road so at ten at night (when its quieter) we turn the car round so its a case of pulling off the drive in the morning instead of reversing into busy traffic.
LOL hope the drink does the job xxx

Might I just chime in here with a cautionary tin-opening tale - I was 15 and sleeping over at a friend's house, we were there all alone. Round midnight it seemed a good idea to make pancakes and halfway through opening a large tub of Crisco shortening the opener jammed and my friend decided to prise the lid the rest of the way with a rather large knife. We were at A&E until nearly 6 a.m., she got 10 stitches in that little webbed area between your thumb and forefinger. Just thinking about that bleary-eyed doctor injecting the xylocaine directly in the jagged wound makes my hair stand on end. :) Hope you've gone out the buy the new openers!! :p

Great job on the losses for the month!!

Right, today has been v v rushed, it's turned into yet another PP, that's 4 in a row - all I've had to eat so far is a muffin for breakfast and I've got a work meeting starting shortly so doubt I'll eat anything else. Know it's not ideal but at least I can look forward to tomorrow night's dinner - steak, spring greens, turnip mash yum yum. I am seriously exhausted but can't have any more caffeine today. Need to plan ahead more but unexpected things keep happening - I haven't got time to bulk-freeze meals at the minute but have to somehow find time...surely sleep is just for the weak? LOL. Right, work.

Oh CD, not good, you are running ragged and no wonder you are tired. One of my daily mainstays is the microwave bread. have a quick look on my recipe thread as its in there, it takes about 2mins to mix and 3 mins to cook in the microwave. With some chicken, or slices of beef its a quick and easy sandwich. I have been known to make a few batches in advance and then freeze them. You could pre slice across the length of it and then all you have to do is let it defrost which it would do if you took out of freezer before bed, or even at breakfast as it would be ready to use at lunchtime. One of those items that can be picked at during the day if need be.

Boil a few eggs before bed, then you can chuck em in your bag and peel one when quickly making a cuppa.

Hope you managed to get a bit more food inside your tum.

Cheese, that tale reminded me of an episode in my childhood. Does anyone remember when stackers crisps first came out, they were a ring pull lid, I was a young dopey child and decided to use the lid to try and cut a bubble gum in half....yep its slipped and sliced across the top of my first finger on my right hand....still have the scar now. Ouch for your friend too xx

CD, you don't need me to tell you that one muffin is not enough to keep body and soul together. Remember, you don't want to frighten your body into clinging on to every calorie that enters it for fear it may be the last. Get yourself to the shops, gal, and stock up with provisions and tin openers! xx

I know, I know, just chaotic here at minute. Last night's meeting didn't finish till nearly midnight, we got a lot sorted though which is good and instead of going straight to bed I scrambled some eggs, felt better but then couldn't sleep for ages so tired this am. Today I have to walk to school and back 5 times (7.5miles) so don't have time for a big shop so have just spent a horrible amount in local mini Sainsburys. Mr CD keeps getting called into work on his days off which doesn't help (well, it does financially but not in time).

Somehow AM going to find time today to cook/eat:
B - Rhubarb
L - Bacon,lettuce,tomato
D - Steak, spring greens, turnip
S - Muffin (Grr, just remembered, need to bake again)

And, had yoghurt forming overnight - was really looking forward to it and guess what, I had my first yoghurt failure :mad:. Have put more on but now have no milk for tea, however on a final cheerful note have bought muslin to start making our own cheese which I am really excited about. Me, obsessed? Never!

Oh, I am soooo stuffed! Wow did I enjoy my dinner - really tasty steak from Lidl (!), spring greens stir-fried with a bit of bacon, neep chips with paprika. Delicious. My TOTM has popped up 6 days early and is really bad, already, dinner definitely helped cheer me up. Was childminding today, we made iced biscuits to a recipe I haven't tried before - so annoying that I can't taste test new recipes these days, the kids all wolfed them down so I suppose they can't have been too bad :D.
Tomorrow I am going clothes shopping as I have very few summer clothes that fit, wont get much though as not planning on staying this size for long, need a new blender too which to be honest I am more excited about: I'm thinking rhubarb smoothies!
I start my first batch of cheese at 11pm, that's if today's yoghurt has worked anyway, which means I could have cheesecake for lunch tomorrow, I love Dukan!

Tomorrow PP (another one as just did 4 PP)
B - Scrambled eggs
L - Cheesecake (either lemon or vanilla)
D - Homemade burger, salad, salsa verde
S - Rhubarb muffin

sounds as if your on a dukan roll CD Love the idea of cheese & cheesecake let me know how you get on ;) reminded me to get some bio yog tmrw so i can get the lakeland machine going

I have whey dripping :D
There's something very relaxing about making things from scratch, very simple in a mad world - my yoghurt keeps me grounded LOL. Can't wait to try the cheese, as it's made from unsweetened soya milk it is very low carb so maybe wont stall me like dairy cream cheese, here's hoping anyway! Have put another batch of yoghurt on that I'm then going to flavour and put in the freezer for us all to enjoy.

what happened with the yogurt hunni....maybe I can help. I've had a few disasters, usual one is it looks slimey falling off the spoon...LOL am convinced that's cos the milk was too cool when adding the other stuff.

I bought a muslin to strain the yogurt when I first started making it, but decided against it as it only made one pot and that kind of defeated the object of saving money as it worked out equal costs then. Nice to do the odd pot when I want it thicker though.

Good luck with the cheese, what recipe are you following. xx

Just wrote out an explanation of possible reasons why my yoghurt went wrong and then computer went weird and I lost it - can't be bothered again unless more yoghurt fails and then I'll be begging DNSF for help LOL! Soy soft cheese is lovely, especially turned into cheesecake :D. I have some straining in the fridge now to make lemon cheesecake for Mr CD to have when he gets back from work at 3am. Today is PP, enjoyed my muffin at breakfast - new hazelnut flavoured ones, yum,yum - had scrambled eggs earlier and might have tuna later or just have cheesecake instead. I want comfort food! On a positive note - my legs are definitely getting slimmer woop woop.

I had too many unexplained failures with slow cooker thats why I bought a lakeland machine its 'chris foolproof' :)

Aw CD hopefully they will all come out ok now LOL.

How are you making the cheese, its sounds soooo yummy. I've never had soya milk or yogurts so don't know what they taste like. I did try making the yogurt with almond milk once, but was a total disaster, didn't thinken up at all so down the drain it went. Worth a try though.

Aw CD hopefully they will all come out ok now LOL.

How are you making the cheese, its sounds soooo yummy. I've never had soya milk or yogurts so don't know what they taste like. I did try making the yogurt with almond milk once, but was a total disaster, didn't thinken up at all so down the drain it went. Worth a try though.

With soya milk the yoghurt thickens really well, in fact I no longer use any skimmed milk powder with it as it's thick enough without! I find soya yoghurt much less 'metallic' than natural yoghurt with a really creamy, slightly nutty taste. It turns into soft cheese really well too - just strained through muslin for 12 hours then I've been using it in desserts and using the whey in my muffins :).

Today has been Mr CD's day off so we went out for lunch to a local cheap and cheerful Turkish café that does a delicious omelette with salad, browsed in a couple of second hand book shops and strolled in the sun holding hands. It was a lovely afternoon and he is right this second making dinner (I prepped all the veg but hey, it's still better than usual!)

B - Yoghurt
S - Hazlenut muffin
L - Mushroom omelette and salad
D - Steak, roast BNS, spring greens followed by stewed rhubarb

Tomorrow is work during the day, school disco, housework, shopping for birthday present for son's friend and I will try much harder than recently to eat properly on my PP!
Really want to catch up with everyone's diaries - hope to find time on Sunday.

From what I understand you have to use soya live yogurt to mix with the soya milk. What brand do you use please. I really want to have a go at this, sounds yummy. When you strain it through the muslin do you press it down as well. I've seen it made with a heavy press on it to get out as much whey as possible. I only ever drained mine twice but didn't know what to do with the whey or how to use it. so never did it again LOL.

DNSF - I put all my whey in my next batch of muffins!! Keep meaning to check whether you can freeze it as I hate waste; you can swap the milk in any recipe for whey, am also thinking of adding it to the kid's smoothies. I've been using the yeo valley green yoghurt to mix with the unsweetened milk, or a tbsp. of a previously made up batch. Want it to reliably work as the one morning it failed I was gutted at 7am! Have just been straining yoghurt with no weight on it to make the cheese and it is soft cheese consistency - approx. 300ml of whey comes out of a litre. Then I make cheesecake by mixing the "cheese" with 3 eggs, liquid sweetener and flavouring, pour in an ovenproof dish and bake for approx. 30-45min at 160-170C. On Sunday I'm going to make pumpkin cheesecake by adding a tin of pumpkin and nutmeg/cinnamon, also want to make a rhubarb cheesecake. You could also bake in individual ramekins. Lemon works well too.

Back