Multivitamins

jayde1148

Gold Member
Hi all

I'm ordering my bumper pack this week (Wednesday) and wondered if people take a multivitamin? I think I could do with them as I keep getting colds like I never have before!

Jayde x

Hi

I take boots "vitamins for dieters" - just a normal daily vitamin, but I find that I feel much better with those ( as opposed to other makes)
But we are all different so you may or may not need any extra.
Exante will say there is enough in their product, but I think that's probably a bare minimum.

Martin

Too much of a good thing can have unexpected consequences. Just ask people who have gulped gallons of carrot juice, which is rich in beta carotene, only to find that the palms of their hands and the soles of their feet turned a dull yellowy orange.

The carrot-juice syndrome is generally thought to be harmless and reversible, but overdosing on some other vitamins and minerals can have serious side effects.

Vitamin A

Gorging on this vitamin compound in doses of more than 25,000 IUs (five times the RDA) can lead to liver damage, hair loss, blurred vision and headaches.

Bitamin B-6

Ingesting more than 400 mg a day (200 times the RDA) can cause numbness in the mouth and hands and difficulty in walking.

Vitamin C

It was once believed to cause kidney stones, but experts now say there is no solid evidence of dangerous side effects from vitamin C. High doses can produce stomachaches and diarrhea.

Vitamin D

In daily doses of 50,000 IUs (125 times the RDA), the sunshine vitamin can cause the buildup of calcium deposits that can interfere with the functioning of muscles, including heart tissue. While sunbathing will never create an overdose, taking too many supplements can.

Niacin

Doctors prescribe doses of 2,000 mg (100 times the RDA) to help lower cholesterol. But patients who take that much should be monitored for possible symptoms of jaundice and liver damage.

Iron

Those who want to bolster their red blood cell count, especially elderly people and menstruating women, have been taking iron supplements for years. Daily doses higher than 100 mg (six times the RDA) could interfere with absorption of zinc, a mineral that speeds wound healing and helps regulate the immune system.

Last edited:
I agree that we need to be careful and check what we are taking. But even with a one a days "boots for dieters vitamin" in addition to Xante, we would be taking nowhere near any of these values you quote.
It's quite safe as long as you're not taking any other pills, in my opinion.

Exante is specially designed to have all you need in those packs, so i duno why anyone would want to take extra supplements
xx

Its Vitamin D you need to be extra careful about.

You get your RDA of Vit D in just 15 mins of Sunlight. With Exante AND Vitamins it can easily lead to Hypercalcemia - which can be very serious! (more so if you have any parathyroid issues).

Your body stores extra Vitamin D to use later (your body assumes you will get less sunlight in the winter) which how you overdose, its not a take 1 pill kinda thing, its a long term more substantial overdose.

Other Vitamins are less of a concern and take a hell of alot of overdose on...

If in doubt seek advise from your GP :)

Back