Muscle weighs more than fat?

UK-Dancer

I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I only joined today. :|

People keep on saying that muscle weighs more than fat, and it's starting to make more sense to me. I weigh about 13st, and wear a size 12/14 which I don't think sounds right? I'm not really sure, but anyway more to the question. For my streetdancing, I have to start working out for strength, and I know that muscle burns fat so that the fat should turn into muscle? But then won't that make me weigh more despite all my healthy eating?

If someone could explain it and give me some tips, i'd be really grateful! :D

yes it does weight more :)

i have very muscly legs due to being a dancer for 6 years :)

Yep, muscle totally weighs more than fat!

I go to the gym a lot and do a lot of weight training, even though my weight has stayed pretty constant (losing fat, but gaining muscle), my inches have gone down :)

same with me, my weights gone up, but im having to buy smaller clothes to fit me!

Muscle is more dense than fat, so the same amount of muscle compared to fat will weigh more, that's true.

Strictly speaking, fat doesn't turn to muscle (or vice versa), but your body can use some of your existing body fat as energy to exercise the muscles, stimulating them to grow. To actually increase the size of your muscle, you need ths stimulus plus lots of excess calories and protein, which is not too likely to happen if you're on a calorie deficit diet, so don't worry about weighing more just because you're exercising. As long as you are in calorie deficit, this won't happen, although your body will shrink as the fat disappears, and you will weigh less.

Sorry guys but muscle really doesnt weigh more than fat!

It's that old chesnut of what weighs more; a tonne of bricks or a tonne of feathers?
Answer - neither - they both weigh the same. A tonne is a tonne. A lb is a lb no matter what the substance.

I'm 12 and a half stone and too wear 12/14 clothes - i wouldnt worry too much about it aslong as you are fit and healthy. Everybody's body shape is different :)

true summer a pond of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat lol - however it does take up less space - so you can weight the same but be a smaller dress size - so in that way I guess muscle weighs less by volume. >)

true summer a pond of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat lol - however it does take up less space - so you can weight the same but be a smaller dress size - so in that way I guess muscle weighs less by volume. >)

That sounds right to me. I'm over 14 stone and a size 16. No-one ever believe hows much I weigh which I think is down to shape and muscle tone, possibly due to being a dancer in my younger days? I am just working on getting it all back to be a 12/14 which will be my ideal size. I reckon I'll weight about 12.5 then.

Back