My adventure in a Vegetarian Restaurant

Seraphine

I'm on day 3 of Induction, and really want to stick to my course. Unfortunately, a group of friends chose a vegetarian/vegan restaurant for a get-together last night. Not only do I have carbs to worry about, but I have nut and fruit allergies as well, so I normally avoid these places like the plague. But they were all really excited about it, so I went.

Oh boy.

They did have some lovely looking salads, all but two had nuts or fruit in them. There was a lovely green garden salad, and they also had cottage cheese (it was a canteen-style place... queue up and choose your items and pay for them while you get a tray). So I went with salad, cottage cheese, and a mushroom soup. Sounds good, right?

The soup - made without cream. Essentially just mushroom broth, and was barely palatable.

The salad - I took one bite of my beautiful salad, and realised something I'm allergic to was in there too. Nothing visable, probably cross contamination from a knife or a cutting board. I broke into a sweat, the inside of my mouth turned to carpet, and I started to panic a bit as it's been a while since I've reacted. I downed two bottles of water and sucked on some ice, and got the reaction stopped, but that was the end of my dinner! I did have 2 bites of cottage cheese, but as it shared a plate with the salad, I didn't dare eat it near the leaves.

I wrote a post yesterday about how hungry I was... well, I certainly was after this dinner!!

Lesson learned. No more veggie restaurants. They aren't safe for me!

(off to find takeaway for a chicken shish kebab!!)

Oh you poor thing! Hope you're feeling better.

I love pasta so of course am avoiding Italian restaurants like the plague. Think I'll stick to pubs where you can at least get gammon and eggs :)

I have a wedding to go this weekend and my lovely friend has made sure that the dinner and brekkie next day will be Atkins friendly - even though she's a veggie herself :)

Susie

jeez,

that was a lucky escape seraphine.

Scarey!! Gda your ok though. Bl**dy veggies ;)

It was stupid of me to let my guard down. I should have been more careful, and while it's possible that it could happen in any restaurant (I don't usually worry when I order salads in other restaurants and I've never had problems before) I should have just not eaten anything unless it was cooked.

Still, I didn't go off plan though :) That's a really big thing for me, because I tend to want to cheat when I eat out.

A great reason for me to stay away from fruit!!

Glad you're OK Seraphine - well done! :)

Back