Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

My adventure in a Vegetarian Restaurant

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by Seraphine, 26 August 2010 Social URL.

1. Seraphine

Seraphine Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(9.18%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    I'm on day 3 of Induction, and really want to stick to my course. Unfortunately, a group of friends chose a vegetarian/vegan restaurant for a get-together last night. Not only do I have carbs to worry about, but I have nut and fruit allergies as well, so I normally avoid these places like the plague. But they were all really excited about it, so I went.

Oh boy.

They did have some lovely looking salads, all but two had nuts or fruit in them. There was a lovely green garden salad, and they also had cottage cheese (it was a canteen-style place... queue up and choose your items and pay for them while you get a tray). So I went with salad, cottage cheese, and a mushroom soup. Sounds good, right?

The soup - made without cream. Essentially just mushroom broth, and was barely palatable.

The salad - I took one bite of my beautiful salad, and realised something I'm allergic to was in there too. Nothing visable, probably cross contamination from a knife or a cutting board. I broke into a sweat, the inside of my mouth turned to carpet, and I started to panic a bit as it's been a while since I've reacted. I downed two bottles of water and sucked on some ice, and got the reaction stopped, but that was the end of my dinner! I did have 2 bites of cottage cheese, but as it shared a plate with the salad, I didn't dare eat it near the leaves.

I wrote a post yesterday about how hungry I was... well, I certainly was after this dinner!!

Lesson learned. No more veggie restaurants. They aren't safe for me!

(off to find takeaway for a chicken shish kebab!!)

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    23st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(3.27%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting and MFP
    Oh you poor thing! Hope you're feeling better.

I love pasta so of course am avoiding Italian restaurants like the plague. Think I'll stick to pubs where you can at least get gammon and eggs :)

I have a wedding to go this weekend and my lovely friend has made sure that the dinner and brekkie next day will be Atkins friendly - even though she's a veggie herself :)

Susie

4. Quak

Quak Gold Member

Sounds a bit scary! Well a lot scary really - hope you are ok now!
    Bren xx

5. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    jeez,

that was a lucky escape seraphine.

6. Cinta

Cinta Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    -0st5lb(-3.25%)
    Diet:
    LC/Atkins
    Scarey!! Gda your ok though. Bl**dy veggies ;)

7. Seraphine

Seraphine Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    13st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(9.18%)
    Diet:
    Atkins
    It was stupid of me to let my guard down. I should have been more careful, and while it's possible that it could happen in any restaurant (I don't usually worry when I order salads in other restaurants and I've never had problems before) I should have just not eaten anything unless it was cooked.

Still, I didn't go off plan though :) That's a really big thing for me, because I tend to want to cheat when I eat out.

A great reason for me to stay away from fruit!!

8. Steve S

Steve S Full Member

Diet:
    Cambridge SS
    Glad you're OK Seraphine - well done! :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.