My Cambridge Diet Option?

Hi all!

First off, sorry I can't link yet. I'm getting closer to 50 posts every day!

Anyway, I was wondering what you thought about this. I've been trying to find the best option for doing the Cambridge Diet in the US, with very little success. Cambridgedietusa dot com is completely different, the Success Diet is closer, but still not what I want. So, I looked into Medifast (medifast1 dot com).

They have a 5 and 1 plan where you eat 5 of their products (shakes, bars, oatmeal, even brownies and pancakes!), plus 1 "lean and green" meal. Each of the products contains 90-110 calories, so I figure if I ate just the 5 products and skip the meal, I'd be at 550 calories at the most, which is around where the CD is based on their website. I also checked the nutrition facts for the products (if you go to medifast1 dot com, click Help at the top, and click Nutrition Information on the left under Product & Plan Resources) and each product offers 20% of the recommended daily value of each of the vitamins and minerals and protein. It looks like their products are are nutritious as CD's!

What does everyone think? Does this seem like a viable option for me in the states? I don't know why Medifast is so keen on the lean and green meal, since the products seem to have all the necessary nutrition. Maybe it's because our Food and Drug Administration sets silly guidelines.

I found something I may like better than Medifast, but I definitely need this group's opinion since I'm trying to get as close to CD as possible. There's another American meal replacement company that provides products called WonderSlim (dietdirect dot com and then click WonderSlim in the blue bar a the top left under the logo). Apparently, their products taste a lot better than Medifast!

Here's my concern: unlike Medifast, the products do not fulfill my daily nutritional requirements. Many of them do provide a decent source of several vitamins and minerals, but not all of the recommended daily vitamins and minerals even if you were to have their suggested 7 products per day (whereas with CD, 3 of anything gets 100% and with Medifast, 5 of anything gets 100%).

What I would do: first, 7 products per day would put me way over in calories compared to what CD does, so I would have 4-5 per day, depending on which products I choose and their calorie content. With these same 4-5 products per day, I would also make sure to stay under the average daily carb amount that CD provides so I ensure I'm going into the same level of ketosis (as long as I'm understanding it correctly?).

As for the nutrition, the company actually has a WonderSlim multivitamin. "Designed for dieters, WonderSlim Multi-Vitamin and multimineral supplement meets the needs of individuals whose caloric intake and diet may restrict the vitamins and minerals available to meet the body's needs"

What do you CDers think? Does it sound like a comparable option for me in the States? :confused:

Thanks for your thread. I have been trying to find a comparable program in the U.S. too. I thought the CambridgeUSA was very similar to CambridgeWeightPlan. When I compared the nutritional information they were very close in numbers. The calories, carbs, sugars, and nutrients were almost identical. It was confusing though because I had to convert metric measurements. Why do you think they are different? I wonder if I am miscalculating? It is frustrating. I wish we could get CWP in U.S., the success stories on here are amazing.

Thanks for your thread. I have been trying to find a comparable program in the U.S. too. I thought the CambridgeUSA was very similar to CambridgeWeightPlan. When I compared the nutritional information they were very close in numbers. The calories, carbs, sugars, and nutrients were almost identical. It was confusing though because I had to convert metric measurements. Why do you think they are different? I wonder if I am miscalculating? It is frustrating. I wish we could get CWP in U.S., the success stories on here are amazing.

Thanks for your reply, Maggie38! Where did you find the nutrition facts for the Cambridge USA plan? The only page I found anything related to nutrition just gave general approximations for all of the products in each category (Original, Food for Life, Nutrition Bars, and Beverage Crystals). It leaves a bad taste for me that they don't provide specific nutritional information on their website. I almost feel like they are using the Cambridge name to sell their products and my concern is that they are not actually putting the effort into the product itself. I just get this feeling like I shouldn't trust them because they have something to hide. I'm probably just being paranoid, but with this much money I want to know the facts!

Also, I know at least their formulas are different, despite any similarities in nutrition facts, because I emailed the official UK Cambridge Diet company and got the following response:

Hello Heather
Thanks for your email. Back in the 1980’s the then owners of Cambridge sold the Rights for America to an American company. They can only sell within the US and we can sell our version of the Cambridge Weight Plan all over the world (currently in c 30 different countries) – apart from America! We have no relationship with the American company and their Diet differs from ours in almost every respect. We do not sell by mail order or via the internet for example.
So in answer to your question, there is an American Cambridge Diet but it is not linked to us in any way.
With best wishes
rob

I actually purchased the Original Cambridge Vanilla Creme shake. I compared the label (usa) to CWP website.

Cambridge Diet USA
Serving 1 scoop = 30g
cal. 110
fat 1.5g
0 sat. fat
0 trans. fat
cholesterol 0mg
sodium 200mg
potassium 260mg
total carbs 15g
12g from sugar
3g dietary fiber
protein 11g

35% daily value of vitamins A,D,K,B6,B12,C
35% daily value of riboflavin,panthonentic acid,iodine,zinc,copper,chromium,iron,thiamin,niacin,folate,biotin,selenium,maganese,molybdenum
15% daily value of phosphorus,calcium
2% daily value of chloride,magnesium
.......I think I got them all.....

Cambridge Weight Plan
Serving size 40g
cal. 146
fat 2.9g
1.1g sat. fat
trace trans. fat
cholesterol 2.8mg
sodium 0.5g
salt equivalent 1.2g
potassium ?
total carbs 14.4g
12.8g from sugars
3.3g dietary fibers
protein 14.1g

The vitamins and minerals listed are the same except CWP also has fluoride 1.2mg. The RDA is 33%. Exact amounts are listed in grams.

Please check on cwp website, I could have made mistakes.

But what do you think? Looks fairly similar doesn't it? The main differences appear to be in calories and protein. Both lables list soy as the main protein, usa also lists whey protein.

They definitely seem very similar. Have you been using the Cambridge USA products long? If so, do you feel as successful as the UK folks that have the official Cambridge Diet products?

I also have recently purchased Cambridge USA products. Planned on starting two days ago but decided to wait until after weekend. Would love to hear from anyone who has used USA products.

I would love to hear from anyone about the Cambridge USA products as well. I have been contemplating between Medifast and WonderSlim and leaning towards WonderSlim (plus a multivitamin since it doesn't have all the nutrition that Medifast or Cambridge has) because of the taste. I've heard Medifast leaves a lot to be desired in the taste department! :p
How do the Cambridge USA products taste? And how has it been working weight-loss-wise compared to the official UK Cambridge Diet?

Heatherleigh I will let you know tomorrow about the taste of the Cbridge USA products. I so hope it isn't medicinal tasting! I purchased a bit of all of the shake flavors (except banana) plus the soups so surely there will be a few that go down easily. I just need something to spur me on!!!

heatherleigh said:
They definitely seem very similar. Have you been using the Cambridge USA products long? If so, do you feel as successful as the UK folks that have the official Cambridge Diet products?
Back in March I used the products for 2 weeks and lost 8 lbs. I have started back just today. I plan on having 3 products a day and lots of water. Wich is what I did in March. My experience was similar to those on this forum. First 3 days were pretty tough, ketosis sets in after about day 3 and i really didn't feel hungry after that. .
I have purchased the vanilla creme shake, chicken soup, and mushroom soup. Mushroom is not my favorite but I really like the chicken soup. I add a little curry spice to it. The vanilla shake is good too, I have it blended with ice for a smoothie or blended with hot water like a vanilla hot chocolate. I like the taste.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Maggie38! How was the ordering/shipping process? I feel like their website is a little sketchy being that they don't list their nutrition facts up front and there are no reviews for any products (either meaning not many people buy them or they delete the reviews, I'm not sure).

My fiance actually saw their website over my shoulder once, not even knowing what it was, and said "oooh that looks like a scam." Eep. I think he thought so just because of the old fashioned layout.

My concern is superficial, but I think valid: a company that manufactures something that I will be using as my sole source of nutrition and that (hopefully) makes a decent amount of money selling these products should have a more appealing website!

Also I'm a little nervous about if the products /actually/ contain what the nutrition facts you typed up said they do. I know the FDA is pretty strict about it, but does anyone actually verify they're being honest?

I'm not sure why I'm so distrusting of them, it's just a gut feeling, which is probably wrong especially since you've had no problems. Sometimes I just need to talk things out and have someone rationally explain why I'm being paranoid LOL.

Heather, I agree, their website looks outdated. I was leary to order but decided to just try it. The orderering process was just like anything else I've ordered online. On my most recent order I needed to call about a shipping charge and they were very friendly. I am waiting to see on my next statement if they credited me the difference. I had paid for 2 day shipping but their warehouse miissed that and it was sent standard 5 day delivery instead. The products ship from Dean Distributors. Honestly, you do have me second guessing Cambridge USA.. They do not have any kind of advertising like you see with Medi Fast, Opti Fast etc., which would definitely make the product/company seem more legit. I am intrigued by Wonder Slim. Have you made a decision? Looking at their products online they reminded me of Jenny Craig a little. I did JC many years ago, it worked, lost 50 pounds and was never hungry. Unfortunately I have been a yo-yo dieter for most of my adult life so I am always looking to see what"s out there.
All this is very intersting and frustrating at the same time. I have about 3 weeks of Cambridge USA product so I am planning on using it and then making a decision. I am interested in what you decide to do.

saraawhitey said:
Heatherleigh I will let you know tomorrow about the taste of the Cbridge USA products. I so hope it isn't medicinal tasting! I purchased a bit of all of the shake flavors (except banana) plus the soups so surely there will be a few that go down easily. I just need something to spur me on!!!

Hi Saraawhitey, Have you tried the products? What do you think? I found I really like the shakes and the soups best. I am curious. What made you decide to do Cambridge USA and did you have any of the same feelings/concerns Heatherleigh and I have expressed?

Maggie38, I apologize for passing on my doubt! On Cambridge USA's website they mention peer support from the distributor. Since you purchased straight from their website, did they provide any additional support that that mention their distributors do, such as "Providing helpful information and support during your initial use of the products and programs"? Do they have some sort of forum for their customers that you can use after you've made a purchase? I wonder where all their customers are because I've Googled them and I can't find many helpful things like reviews.

There is something called slim and save in the UK, which deliver world wide. This is the same as Cambridge without the support. If you feel you could go it alone then it could be an option?

Slim And Save Delivery Information

I hope you find something.

Hi Tia, I have no idea why but I just got an email notification about this post you made 3 days ago and I also have no idea why I didn't notice it when I came back here to read other replies! I did look into Slim And Save, but when you go to check out, there are no options for the US or Other Country. Just a set list of countries they do deliver to :(

heatherleigh said:
Maggie38, I apologize for passing on my doubt! On Cambridge USA's website they mention peer support from the distributor. Since you purchased straight from their website, did they provide any additional support that that mention their distributors do, such as "Providing helpful information and support during your initial use of the products and programs"? Do they have some sort of forum for their customers that you can use after you've made a purchase? I wonder where all their customers are because I've Googled them and I can't find many helpful things like reviews.

No need to apologize Heatherleigh. You just confirmed what I was already thinking. Like I said I'm going to try it for three weeks and see. So far I've been 100% for 3 days. Cambridge USA does have a forum but it is not active. The most recent post is a year old. Minimins seems like the best forum out there for just about any diet. I have not looked into the "support" mentioned on their website. To be honest that is not something I would really want, probably because I have lost weight so many times before that I know I can do it on my own. Clearly I need support in keeping the weight off. LOL/cry
When do expect your samples?

How has the first 3 days been, Maggie38? And I definitely understand about not completely needing support. Even though the last post is a year ago, how do people on that forum feel about the products?
Also, I just got the samples today! I haven't eaten anything yet (had to go straight to work), but I'm excited to try and I'll let you know. If I like it, I think I'll place a bigger order because they offer great discounts on larger orders :)

Back