My CDC doesn't agree re BMI

Sweetpea

I saw my CDc the other day and she mentioned that next time I go and see her (in 4 weeks) we ought to think about adding some food to my diet.

She asked me if I have a weight in mind that I want to get to and I told her that I think I want to be 9 stones although I will have to see as I get nearer to it. I told her that will be a BMI of 22 ish.

She doesn't agree with the whole concept of BMI. I partly agree with her as there are many people such as people who are heavily into exercise and training who would be classed as overweight according to their BMI but aren't really. Others are ok according to their BMI but have a waist to hip ratio showing they carry far too much fat around their tummies, the danger area for good health.

Anyway she reckons that 9 stones will be far too light for me. I am now concerned about this. The NHS says that a BMI between 18.5 and 25 is acceptable as healthy so a weight that will give me a BMI of 22 ish seems fine to me, even taking account of the fact that I agree it is only an average guideline and not cast in stone.

I think that because I have a slim face (even when I was 14 stones my face was slim) and my top half looks fine, it misleads people into thinking I am already slim IFKWIM? We all look better with our clothes on but I have a lot of fat on my thighs and around my knees and I don't think it will go until I am at 9 stones.

So what happens if she thinks I'm getting too thin for what she feels I should be? Will she stop selling me CD products and will I have to find another CDC to get me to what I want to be and well into maintenance?

Hiya

I can see this from both sides, remember that your counsellor is trying to help you and in fact she clearly is doing her best as she is trying to stop you sooner which shows she cares about how you look etc and not just selling you product.

My advice would be to get down to a healthy BMI of 25 and then revisit it with your counsellor and see what you can come up with.

You can certainly go down to a BMI of 22 on the higher programmes but remember that a BMI of 22 is harder to maintain then one of say 24 to 25.

Anyway you are doing great so hang in there.

Mike

aww you sound so worried, i think its good you have a goal but maybe when your bmi is 25 or 24 you maybe happy with the way you look, your CDC is there to advise you but i dont think when you get down to BMI of under 25 you can SS so she can say no to that , i think maybe she has to im not sure but i think you should keep your goal but also watch your body change and go by how you feel and i dont think she will stop selling you the product she may advise you to go up a stage and keep trying to offer you alternatives x

You cannot SS below a BMI of 25 + 1 stone!

In my opinion you should choose your own goal weight.

The range of BMI 20-25 is a normal weight range.

You go to the weight that YOU feel comfortable at, it is you who has to live in and with your own body.

I think it is a tough one to guage until you start to get nearer to the weights so I would just assess as you go along. I'm aiming for BMI 25 and will reassess when I get there whether I want to go lower or not. Regarding introducing food you are supposed to do this when you reach one stone over a BMI of 25 so you are probably at about the right stage to start working up the plans.

Gx

aww you sound so worried, i think its good you have a goal but maybe when your bmi is 25 or 24 you maybe happy with the way you look, your CDC is there to advise you but i dont think when you get down to BMI of under 25 you can SS so she can say no to that , i think maybe she has to im not sure but i think you should keep your goal but also watch your body change and go by how you feel and i dont think she will stop selling you the product she may advise you to go up a stage and keep trying to offer you alternatives x

I understand how the diet works and am doing it exactly by the book with no cheating. I am happy to move up to the higher plans to get to my target weight. I'm not planning on SSing down to 9 stones. What I'm concerned about is that my CDC thinks that I'll be too light at 9 stones although it's smack bang in the middle of a healthy weight laid down for my height by the Health Service.

She hasn't been a CDC for very long. Also she wasn't happy that her CDC wanted her to get to a certain BMI when she was happier at a higher BMI. I do think that is fine if she wants to be a little heavier than her CDC wanted her to be (she looks lovely and slim anyway) but I'm concerned that she perhaps wants me to be at a higher weight and BMI because it its in with her views on how she wants to look IFSWIM.

Hiya

I can see this from both sides, remember that your counsellor is trying to help you and in fact she clearly is doing her best as she is trying to stop you sooner which shows she cares about how you look etc and not just selling you product.

icemoose - I think that because my CDC thinks she looks better at a higher BMI than the guidelines say, she thinks I will too. Really it isn't what she wants me to look like, it's what I want to achieve (as long as I do not go to an unhealthy weight - which I'm not planning to).

My advice would be to get down to a healthy BMI of 25 and then revisit it with your counsellor and see what you can come up with.

I cannot see the point of getting down to the top of the weight range for my height as this means I will always be bordering on being overweight. I'd only have to put on a pound or two and I'm again overweight and need to diet and I don't intend to have to slim again. I just want to get to a weight and BMI in the middle of the scale and then maintain it.

You can certainly go down to a BMI of 22 on the higher programmes but remember that a BMI of 22 is harder to maintain then one of say 24 to 25.

Yes but who wants to be maintaining a weight where they are bordering on overweight all the time?

Anyway you are doing great so hang in there.

Thanks!

Mike

Thanks for the advice and info.

You cannot SS below a BMI of 25 + 1 stone!

I'm planning to - I was planning on moving up the plans but still carry on losing weight down to 9 stones.

In my opinion you should choose your own goal weight.

The range of BMI 20-25 is a normal weight range.

You go to the weight that YOU feel comfortable at, it is you who has to live in and with your own body.

Thanks - I agree about it being my body and being the weight I am comfortable at and there's no way I would ever want to be anorexic (like my food too much to ever do that anyway).

I've picked on a BMI around 22 as the NHS Direct BMI calculator says a BMI of between 18.5 and 24.9 is ideal for my height.

I think it is a tough one to guage until you start to get nearer to the weights so I would just assess as you go along. I'm aiming for BMI 25 and will reassess when I get there whether I want to go lower or not. Regarding introducing food you are supposed to do this when you reach one stone over a BMI of 25 so you are probably at about the right stage to start working up the plans.

Gx

I won't be seeing my CDC for 4 weeks now and she is thinking of discussing adding food to my diet then. However, I know my BMI is 26.4 so I might actually add some food before I see her next so that I do follow the plan quite strictly. I did think this time that she would perhaps say that I needed to start adding some food in a week or two but she didn't.

It certainly sounds like you are taking the right and sensible approach. I would try not to worry too much about what your CDC has said after all it is only her advice/opinion and ultimately it is up to you so go for it!

Georgie
x

Thanks Georgie - I'm certainly trying to do it right this time. Last time I had to diet was 18 years ago and I did CD and cheated all the way through by having 6 (yes 6) packs of fruit gums very day so people at work wouldn't guess I was on a diet. I also never ate food on AAM week. I was in agony when I started eating solid food again and never bothered with the maintenance program either. I'm determined to do it right this time - which is probably why I don't want my CDC scuppering my chances.:D

Good for you, I am also trying to follow it to the letter as it seems from successful maintainers this is really key to success. I am just under half a stone away from BMI +1 so will shortly be in the same place as you. I suspect I will also want to go slightly below my 25 BMI perhaps half a stone or so. If it feels right to start working up the plans before you see you CDC again you should. Good luck to us both I'm sure we can do this!

Georgie
x

Hi,

Its BMI plus one stone to START a VLCD. If you are already on a VLCD you can go down to say BMI26 then do AAM for a week then 790 for a week so you should be at 1000 by the time you are BMI 25.

As far as BMI 22. CDC's can supply you with the appropriate amount of diet down to BMI 20 below this we would not be able to do that. BMI 22 is fine if that is where you want to be. You will know yourself nearer the time if you are happy at that weight.

Linda

Now I'm confused as my CDC has advised that it is BMI plus 1 stone to start working up the plans, I think Icemoose advised the same?

Cheers
G

The official guidance is below you will see that it says when at BMI 26 if you have been following SS move to 790 then 1000. It is always best to have the AAM for a week prior to 790 to allow the body to adjust.

BMI & Choosing your Programme Level
To Clarify

To do Sole Source (SS), Add-A-Meal (AAM) or the 790 your BMI must be no lower than 25 + 1 stone as these programmes are considered to be a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD)

All the higher programmes (1000, 1200, and 1500) are ok to use as long as your BMI is not underweight.

If you have followed SS, then your BMI drops to say 26, you should then move to 790 for 1 week and then up to 1000 where you will continue your weight loss to your desired BMI.

Ideally your counsellor should calculate your BMI at your weekly weigh in to see where you are and advise as necessary.

After you have reached your target you should continue on 1500kcals until you are happy to maintain naturally through healthy eating.

Please note that If you increase your activity levels and exercise regime, then you will require a higher calorie and water intake.

New Guidance is on the way to incorporate the NICE changes, however, the BMI rule as set by COMA remains in place.

Hi,

Its BMI plus one stone to START a VLCD. If you are already on a VLCD you can go down to say BMI26 then do AAM for a week then 790 for a week so you should be at 1000 by the time you are BMI 25.

As far as BMI 22. CDC's can supply you with the appropriate amount of diet down to BMI 20 below this we would not be able to do that. BMI 22 is fine if that is where you want to be. You will know yourself nearer the time if you are happy at that weight.

Linda

I must admit I won't be going down to a BMI of 20 but that is good to hear as it does offer good protection for vulnerable dieters. My CDC has said though that some people continue getting soups/shakes as a supplement to make sure they are getting their full nutritional needs even after getting to target (but I assume she would weigh you first to ensure it is okay to give to you).

Oh and look's like I'll be adding some food earlier than I thought (like next week probably).

I have clients who use CD for nutrition they are supplied a maximum 1 pack per day. So if someone want a months supply they take 28 packs and cannot have any more until the following month.

Linda

Hi Sweetpea

Just see how you feel as the weight gets lower, it's your body so you will know when your happy! My BMI was 25.2 when i decided i looked fine... so its very individual!

:) Nas x

Back