My CDC is fatter than me

bunnycd

I must admit that I was not that inspired when I first met my CDC she was about 2-3 stone bigger than me and I was 15.9 stone. I have progressed really well and lost almost a stone in two/three weeks. Another thing that is bothering me is that my scales say I am slightly heavier than my CDC's, I went to Argos tonight to buy another pair to confirm that my scales are correct and they are!? This means my CDC's scales are lighter by around 4-5lbs (not that much) and I have weighed myself at the same time of the day (as my weigh ins) to make sure.

My CDC has not measured my body at all and I know it sounds silly but I really wanted someone to look up to, you know you have been there and done it rather than someone bigger than me. Maybe I am being mean I don't know. I am not sure to change CDC or not on the positive side she is a really nice lady and maybe I am being OTT and silly. What do you think?

hey bunny.

I had the same thing with my cdc and didnt feel very inspired by this. It was only my own sheer determination to lose the weight that got me through. She was nothing except a supplier. She really couldnt have been less bothered! And i do believe mine has put on weight in the time since i started going to her!
Was just wondering if we had the same cdc! Where abouts are you?

Lynjo

To train as a cdc you need to have a bmi of 28 or less.
Although having said that once you are trained no-one checks up on you (as far as i know).
They obviously havent checked on my old cdc or she wouldnt still be doing it. I do believe they should keep a check somehow on cdcs to maintain a good image and belief in the cd programmes.
Not a very good advert if you are overweight yourself. I know life sometimes throws things at you and you can lose the plot but realistically IMO it shouldnt happen to this extent.

Sorry for my opinion, dont mean to upset anyone

Lynjo:)

This is facinating. I've never thought about it before. My LL counsellor is not overweight. She did the programme a few years ago (so has her mum, who I've met).

Who does police the counsellors? Do they have to attend regular meetings at 'head office' for updates/weigh-ins?

Hopefully a counsellor from LL or CD can enlighten us!

Personally, it doesn't bother me how big my CDC is (or should I say 'was'). It was my journey. What I wanted was someone who knew what they talking about even if they couldn't do it themselves for some reason. I wanted good advice and support.

I'd rather that than some skinny bod who had never struggled with their weight...had done CD for a couple of weeks and found it easy peasy to maintain.

Though I can understand, an ideal world, we would have CDC's who were all healthily slim...had previous weight problems that had all magically disappeared with each shake taken, but this isn't an ideal world.

Besides, I am sooooo against the BMI28 rule. Okay...perhaps some rule, but BMI28 is too low IMO to say someone wouldn't be an inspiration to others.

My doctor told me I was slim enough at BMI 30!!:eek: Told me again to use common sense when I got to BMI27 and ignore the figures. I am now BMI25.

Okay..so I did get down to the magic 25...but I could certainly look pretty normal at 29;)

Reactions: DQ
my CDC has never measured me, i do it myself, are they supposed to? also someone mentioned having photo's done, are they meant to do that too ?
would be interested to know
xx:)

This is a contraversial topic and difficult to approach! eek!!

Speaking for myself, this is one of the things I've always been worried about. My clients talking about how big I am behind my back.

We have to remember that CDC's are just people and are normal like the rest of us. Things happen in life and they can regain weight like anyone else. Cambridge isn't my life, it's not something I put every waking moment into so I do let my focus slip sometimes and I put on a few lbs here and there.

I do worry that if I put all my weight back on I'll not be a good example for my clients, but I would hope that my own personal failures would not reflect on my enthusiam and motivation I have for every one of my clients. I would hope that even if I was several stone heavier I could still motivate someone.

I know what you are saying about someone to look up to, and I agree - this is my aim,I don't want to be a bad example or advertisement but things aren't always so easy and it's difficult to be judged by people who have weight issues themselves.......

I don't think anyone should be sorry for their opinion, but it's quite a difficult subject for some CDC's. Do you think they want to be overweight again after doing training and they obviously know the programme and that it works? Some things are easier said than done.

I'm not making excuses, I'm much slimmer than I was when I trained so this is just my opinion in general and not something that is too close to home for me.

AmandaJayne - in the land of Cambridge no one polices you, not sure about LL.

Bunnycd- if your CDC does not motivate you and try her best to keep you on track, then I would change but if you are solely wanting to change cause she is heavier than you, I'd ask you to reconsider and note the points above.

Last edited:
It is a different take on the subject, Karion.

I wonder if we have been conditioned to ASSUME that it is necessary for the counsellors to be 'slim'. I know that with other diet clubs, the reps had to be slim and were assessed regularly.

The bottom line is that CD and LL are businesses, and if you look at the advertisements asking for new people to become counsellors, weight is not an issue. I do understand though that would-be counsellors have to 'do' LL for a couple of weeks as part of their training.

My counsellor was a previous member of LL, as was her Mum, so she has a good insight into weight problems and has successfully used LL to recover.

I would rather see someone who i know has had a serious weight issue than someone who has only had to lose a relatively small amount of weight. Even if they were not slim yet i would still feel more empathy with someone who had walked in the same shoes as I. As Karion, says this is my journey, I know the diet is working for me whether my councellor is a size 20 or 10 is irrelevent.

I know what you mean, when I have been to SW before some of the consultants were really overweight and it's really not very inspirational. My CDC is amazing, she has lost nearly 8 stone and she is really small, I am guessing a size 12-14. Last week she got the tape measure out and showed me and hubby where she measured before. It was amazing to see the difference in her! A real inspiration. I think with this diet, you really have to know that your CDC truly believes in the plan. I felt so inspired when I met her. She's great.

It might be harsh, but we all need all the help we can get and a motivating and inspirational CDC is a really important thing!

You do have to have a BMI under 28, but it hasn't always been that way - it was only introduced last year.

The thing is, you can be a great counsellor even if you're not within the healthy BMI range. Hell, I wouldn't be a CDC if I'd had to have had a BMI under 28. Surely there's more to it than just how much you weigh? Let's say you've got a choice of two counsellors - one is bigger than you, but has lost over 100lbs. The other is slimmer, but she's never been much overweight - just lost a stone and then became a counsellor.

If your counsellor doesn't support or inspire, regardless of his or her weight, I say move on. But I'd argue that BMI doesn't really affect someone's ability to support and inspire you...

Sure, it would be nice if all diet counsellors were slim and had no weight issues, did one diet once and never had to diet again, just stayed slim with no effort whatsoever. I can see how that would be excellent PR for any diet and give all sorts of false hope to aspiring dieters. But that's not the real world. ;)

Please note, OP, this is not a rant against you, just against the idea one's BMI is a good gauge of whether one would be a good counsellor or not. :D

Obviously my point has come across all wrong and if i sit here and type away all night it would still be misconstued somewhere along the line so i wont try to correct myself. I could try and explain exactly what i meant but dont want to force a full scale war her.
My main point was its not a very good advert for cd, but hey what do iknow.

If someone can remove all my threads it would be appreciated.

Lynjo

Don't worry, lynjo, I don't think anyone has taken offence. It's an interesting debate - a topic most people have an opinion on either way. No need to delete anything!

From a purely aesthetic, PR point of view I absolutely agree with you. Having overweight counsellors does not, on the surface, look good for a diet company. However, my personal take on the matter is that the ability to counsel and support, and the ability to maintain weight, are two very different things :)

Well I lost 4 stone, going from a size 20/22 to a size 12/14, before I went to train as a CDC - now I have put on 2 stone .... does that make me a bad CDC??? Am I a bad advert for CD??? I don't think so - I think I've let myself down.

just against the idea one's BMI is a good gauge of whether one would be a good counsellor or not. :D

Totally agree. One ex-sportswoman to one now-sportswoman. We're a different breed eh :D :D It's a really bad way to measure success IMO

I must admit that I was not that inspired when I first met my CDC she was about 2-3 stone bigger than me and I was 15.9 stone. I have progressed really well and lost almost a stone in two/three weeks. Another thing that is bothering me is that my scales say I am slightly heavier than my CDC's, I went to Argos tonight to buy another pair to confirm that my scales are correct and they are!? This means my CDC's scales are lighter by around 4-5lbs (not that much) and I have weighed myself at the same time of the day (as my weigh ins) to make sure.

My CDC has not measured my body at all and I know it sounds silly but I really wanted someone to look up to, you know you have been there and done it rather than someone bigger than me. Maybe I am being mean I don't know. I am not sure to change CDC or not on the positive side she is a really nice lady and maybe I am being OTT and silly. What do you think?

WOW there are 12 ppl +3 guests reading this. I have never known a thread spark so much interest.

Anyway, I really dont think you should worry too about the scales ....13Ibs loss is 13Ibs loss irrespective what scales you stand on ..... :)

Oh please do not take offense Lynjo.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread you started.

Is there a right and wrong answer? No, just different opinions and here everyone has a right to express their different opinions. That's what is so good about this site. It gives me food for thought (after so long without any, that's got to be good)!

Back