My eating behavior - advices or ideas?

fortune_cookie

Night Hawk
I will try to keep it structured so you won't get bored ;) :
- I don't/ can't /won't eat breakfast; I am very nauseated by any smell of food in the morning, and don't want to hear about it until 1-2 PM
- not so much into sweets, occasional cravings but even so can't eat too much of them, after a few bites I feel is too much
- very much into bread, pastry and so on.. under control as much as possible, but love them (guilty pleasure)
- I like any type of vegetables or fruits with very few exceptions, the only reason why I don't have more of them is obviously the laziness in preparing them.

The times in my life when I looked at my best were those when being at school, or later at work, I was skipping lunch too, as a habit. Than I got my daughter, stayed at home with her for a year and.. well, didn't skip any meals. And find myself having 20 lbs I shouldn't.

I tried several diets, from Atkins to South Beach, Scarsdale and so on. They worked just fine, I lost quite a lot of weight, I'm perfectly capable of eating whatever the diet says for 2-3 weeks. The problem is of course, afterwards.. When I put back what I lost every time.. :(

So, now I'm thinking no more diets.. And since I'm back to work I find it quite easy to get back to my skipping meals routine.. With some exercise in the evenings and weekends maybe I get back in shape.. Sounds like a plan? Would you do something different in my place? Anybody else having this (unusual and maybe not-so-healthy) lifestyle..

I will try to keep it structured so you won't get bored ;) :
- I don't/ can't /won't eat breakfast; I am very nauseated by any smell of food in the morning, and don't want to hear about it until 1-2 PM
- not so much into sweets, occasional cravings but even so can't eat too much of them, after a few bites I feel is too much
- very much into bread, pastry and so on.. under control as much as possible, but love them (guilty pleasure)
- I like any type of vegetables or fruits with very few exceptions, the only reason why I don't have more of them is obviously the laziness in preparing them.

The times in my life when I looked at my best were those when being at school, or later at work, I was skipping lunch too, as a habit. Than I got my daughter, stayed at home with her for a year and.. well, didn't skip any meals. And find myself having 20 lbs I shouldn't.

I tried several diets, from Atkins to South Beach, Scarsdale and so on. They worked just fine, I lost quite a lot of weight, I'm perfectly capable of eating whatever the diet says for 2-3 weeks. The problem is of course, afterwards.. When I put back what I lost every time.. :(

So, now I'm thinking no more diets.. And since I'm back to work I find it quite easy to get back to my skipping meals routine.. With some exercise in the evenings and weekends maybe I get back in shape.. Sounds like a plan? Would you do something different in my place? Anybody else having this (unusual and maybe not-so-healthy) lifestyle..

I pretty much could have written this word for word, except I had best part of 90lbs to lose instead of 20lbs. Although, having said that there was a time in my life when i had 20lbs to lose, and that felt just as bad as 90lbs did.

You need to take a step back, and reread it. Everything you describe is the reason you have weight to lose. Starting with..........breakfast.

I could guarantee that almost every overweight person (who isnt dieting) will say they dont like/want/need breakfast. And I could equally guarantee that every person that has lost the weight will tell you that breakfast is the single most important meal of the day.

Whether you have breakfast at 8am or 1pm isnt a great issue, what you need to do is get some routine into how and when you eat. I strongly suspect you are a picker, and will grab a small portion of something when you feel hungry or peckish, but will forget you have eaten it as it wasnt a proper meal.

You need to have clearly defined meals that fill you up, and to endeavour not to eat the majority of your food late in the day.

There are days when I dont want actual food in the morning, so I have a meal replacement milk shake thing ( i have Exante shakes, not slimfast as they have sugar in). These are really sustaining without making my stomach feel to heavy with food first thing and have been a saving grace for me.

You also like the carbs, I was a carb addict and giving them up to a greater degree made a huge difference, especially as I was more likely to snack on carbs than anything else. Im not strictly a low carb dieter, but i cut them out a lot and that in itself stopped a lot of cravings.

I don't know what to say.. You are right, of course, I would pick a small portion of something and in 2 hours another small portion of something and so on, and yes, that's how I got here, but that's when staying at home with a fridge, lots of time and.. yeah, here I am. But at work there's no small portion of anything, it's actually me eating the first bite of anything at 7 PM. That's what I've been doing for the past week..

And in the evening I am hungry, true, and eat with a good appetite, but I cannot really say I eat much. I jump hungrily on the plate and than halfway through I feel very full. That's pretty much the same feeling I get the first few days after a very restricting diet. Eat like a wolf the first few bites and than I feel I can't fit anything anymore.

I don't know, what I'm trying to say is that the way I feel is that if I start I can't really stop. And I don't mean that in the bulimic way, i mean if I have a small healthy snack at 10, than I get hungry at 12 and eat another small healthy meal, than at 2 PM, and so on and so on, adds up, gets too much. Whereas if I ignore completely the tiny hunger I get at let's say 12, than I am better off and the next time I think about it is 5. And next day less, and next day after that I forget all about it. And was wondering if anybody else functions on ON/OFF like that..

And really there's a lot of people that don't like breakfast? Because I almost don't know any.. I should open a topic on this, you made me curious.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, it was a very interesting point.

Sammy, thank you so much for that link, I really wanted to see that program. I think its vital that everyone shoulkd watch it as the information is invaluable and some of it really surprising. Ive posted a link to it in the news section of this forum so that people can spot it.

Back