My Food Diary - getting back to a healthier happier Sarah

Sazmajig

Silver Member
Hi everyone,

I decided I would join slimming world back in October 2014 - A new group had just started in the village I live in and I had been toying with the idea for a while but had been scared to take the plunge.

You see I have never been a bigger person - well not for my childhood or teens but the last 4/5 years I just piled on the weight. I don't think this was solely down to one thing over anything else but a combination of being on the depo injection/eating too much/doing too little/burying my head in the sand/being happy in my relationship that I just ate!

I knew I was getting bigger but I just didn't really do anything about it until I saw a picture of myself at a party with my lovely OH and thought "What am I doing to myself?" I had felt big for a long time but I hadn't realised just how big I was. I think I was in denile about it.

I spent a couple of weeks umming and ahhing (spelling?!) about joining my local SW group as I didn't really know how it worked and was terrified of people I know knowing how much I weigh. I'm so glad I joined because I really like the group and the results I'm seeing when I really stick to the plan is working so well for me.

So far I have lost 1st 3.5lbs in 10 weeks (but probably only 7 of actually sticking to the plan) and feel great about it.

My main downfall is alcohol - being a 25 year old and constantly having family parties/birthday is pretty difficult. Though I just try to use flexible syns when these things arise!

I live with my OH who is the polar opposite of me and struggles to put weight on :)mad:) which makes this all the more difficult. But he is so supportive and even cooks SW meals for me when its his turn to cook - usually if he was cooking it would be takeaway! Bless him

Food Diary for today (not the best day really, I picked things for the sake of it)

B - Two slices small wholemeal bread with Philadelphia spread (HEA) & an apple
L - Loaded potato skin (made last night and reheated - with bacon and chicken) and salad
D - 3 Sausages (0.5syn each), new potatoes (2syns mayo) & salad with syn free dressing

Drinks
Diet coke, Robinsons squash (all free)

Syns
sausages 1.5syns
mayo 2 syns
2x snack a jacks 4 syns
2x Ferrero roche 6 syns

Daily Syns - 13.5 syns (could be better)
Weekly Syns - 13.5/105

Last edited:
Subscribing to your diary :)

There's nothing wrong with having 13.5 syns!

That's lovely of your OH. My friend is in the same situation where she is trying to lose weight but her OH struggles to put weight on. At the moment he is trying to gain it which makes cooking difficult for her.

Thanks :) no I know 13.5 isn't bad but I try to keep it to around 10 if I can but last night I just picked left over chocolate from Christmas and there are still sweets in the house :(

Yes my other half would ideally like to put on weight as well as he's in the lower end of healthy weight. I think he'd like to pub on a few lbs but he struggles. Over Christmas he ate and are and lost weight! Lucky him ? I'm not jealous at all!!

Hey :)
Love the umming and arrrrrring spell check. I use this world all the time and always wonder what it should be haha.

Well done on your loss so far that's brill! Xx

Found it :)

It never used to be but my downfall but recently it's the way it's going. I haven't suddenly turned into a raging alcy or anything but since i split with my ex i now have 3 kiddy free nights a week so tend to try and make the most of them lol

13.5 syns isn't too bad hun :) x

Ok so I haven't quite got the full days food yet but I thought I better write it down thus far as I'm in a picking mood again today - I think I'm not drinking enough therefore I am feeling hungry when in actual fact I'm just dehydrated

B - Raisin wheats (HEB) & skimmed milk (HEA) not all my milk but I barely drink the stuff!
Snack - mugshot (free!)
L - Left overs from last night; one sausage (0.5syns) mayo (2syns) new potatoes & salad
D - yet to be determined (will update later)

Syns
sausage 0.5
mayo 2
4 x snack a jack jumbo S&V 8 syns

syns 10.5/15
weekly syns 24/105

Don't know whats going on with my today - was feeling very positive this week but I just feel yuk and really weak. I need to bring more food to work as Ive been here nearly 9 hours and just feel really hungry

Last edited:
I think considering you are feeling yuk and it's a picky day you are doing really well to keep within your syns :)

I like the weekly syn tally you have.... i might steal that idea x

I like the weekly syn tally you have.... i might steal that idea x

Do it! I stole it from someone else ;)

I'm feeling a bit better - I had a couple of large glasses of squash which has helped. I think I might do comfort food tonight, jacket potato & beans and cheese (i wonder if because I haven't had my full milk allowance the syns for the cheese will be less? Im annoyed at myself because I don't really like milk and would rather cheese but couldn't be bothered this morning with gaffing for breakfast and just did it automatically without thinking)

So here is my updated food diary from yesterday - I had a bit of a cry in the evening which seemed to help! I don't know why - I'm not worrying about the food side of it at all, I just feel big and feel a bit low. Probably just the time of the month as this isn't something I have been having an issue with since I started this. I have been feeling good about myself as Im doing something about this!

B - Raisin wheats (HEB) & skimmed milk (HEA) not all my milk but I barely drink the stuff!
Snack - mugshot (free!)
L - Left overs from last night; one sausage (0.5syns) mayo (2syns) new potatoes & salad
D - Jacket potato & beans
snack - two apples, half a mango and a vanilla mullerlight (free!)

Syns

sausage 0.5
mayo 2
4 x snack a jack jumbo S&V 8 syns
2x ferrero roche (had to get the OH to eat the rest so I couldn't eat any!! haha) 6 syns

I was happy with the snack as I so nearly had some bad food...I couldn't eat it all which made my dog very happy, he loves apple and yogurt!

syns 16.5/15
weekly syns
30/105

Sorry about the Bold - it wouldn't let me change it!

I havent eaten anything yet - I have frozen berries and yogurt for breakfast, but the berries are defrosting slightly as its too cold! I have however had a can of diet coke which I know isn't the best but it's something!

Well done Sarah... you should be proud that on a bad day you only went over your syns a little and maintained it really well. I would have had a full on feast :doh: xx

Thanks! The day is still young and I'd had 6 Syns already before any of my planned meals... Probably have to adjust my meals now... I was trying not to syn as I'm at a family 50th birthday party tomorrow and know I will be having a few drinks!!

Hey, hope you don't mind me jumping in here, I noticed your weekly syn count also. Is this something you can do... save up unused syns and use them another day?? Would be great for weekends out!!!

Hi Lor,

It's not something you should do regularly but it can be done yes. My consultant calls them flexible sins, and whilst she doesn't encourage you to do it, she understands we all have nights out etc. For example if I'm going out at the weekend I try to keep back a few syns so i can be a bit flexible. I notice I do better on the plan if I don't use flexible syns but i do still lose. Don't forget alcohol makes you retain water for a couple of days so try not to drink alcohol 2 days prior to weigh in :)

Subscribing to your thread Sarah, hope you don't mind! I'm in a similar situation to you: I've never been "fat" until I weighed myself and realised I've put on three stone in the past year! I have a super skinny other half and we both love to eat, so I'm blaming it all on him ;) Congratulations on you losses so far!

Not at all BonBonJovi! (Love the name!)
I don't really know what happened, I think just being happy and coking meals to bulk him up made me not think about myself. But then there was also the denile and the eating rubbish food too!!

But yes, let's blame the OH's ;-)

Thanks, I am feeling really yucky today as well. I really fancy a glass of something alcoholic but I also want to drink tomorrow when I'm going to a party. It's so tough that aspect of it - I can put up with the food side as I still have things I love just a healthier version, which I can't usually tell the difference!

I'm not an alcoholic I promise.... !!

I just don't like feeling like because of my greed and carelessness I have to restrict myself now. I am really rather upset with myself today (well the last couple of days)

I think it's perfectly fine to blame your OH, i blame mine haha constantly suggesting me go out for food and treating me..... Pig!! haha

Hope you get your mojo back soon hun. It never used to be but it's the alcohol consumption side im struggling with now (sound like a right alcy....im not) it's not really volume of alcohol more my chosen tipple. I don't really drink shor + mixer as they go down too quickly so it's usually the high syn stuff i go for like wkd or larger :(

Love the name bonbonjovi. My all time favourite band.... love them!! xx

Back