My holiday starts when.....

missRV

When does your holiday start for you?

Holiday shopping the week before?
When you finish work?
When you go for a meal the night before?
Leaving for the airport?
Getting off the flight?

I'm a teacher so finish 2 weeks before the actual holiday, that's when I pack and go shopping but I won't be breaking my diet until the night before we go.

When does your holiday start for you?

Hard to say...love the build up but im going to say once our cases are checked in and im in departures with a g & t in hand ....

Before it's even booked, I just love the planning, & the build up which I find exciting. But when 'am I on holiday' well it's the minute I finish work. But I don't forget about SW & still try to stick to plan if poss, but just put in a few treats.

We try to stick to SW too, we go all inclusive to Cuba every year... and it's the same resort as we have fallen in love with the place. We manage to eat 1/3 of our meal as fresh fruit plus we don't like fried food very much so it's not too bad... I often come home with maybe a 1-2lb weight gain (well the cocktails contain fresh fruit) ;)

We've booked the airport lounge this year so we can have fruit or cereal before our flight as opposed to a greasy fry up.

We try to stick to SW too, we go all inclusive to Cuba every year... and it's the same resort as we have fallen in love with the place.

Whereabouts in Cuba do you guys stay? We've stayed in Cayo Santa Maria and Havana. I love Cuba! The people are so friendly and the weather's amazing.

Hey :)

We go to Cayo Santa Maria every year too :) we adore the island, plus we have friends over there.
We've been to Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and Cayo Santa Maria.

Where abouts in Cayo Santa Maria have you stayed? We stay at the Las Dunas :)

ha ha what a small world... this august will be our 5th time at the las dunas, I call it my second home lol... and the ice cream, if you mix a scoop with some milk and put it in an insulated flask ots like a mc donalds milkshake

Oh I'm so jealous! We've only been to Cuba once but we loved it! The beach is amazing! I'll have to try that if I can get dad to take me back ;)

Start working on him now ;) it was a big birthday for my mum this year, I asked her if she wanted a party because I know she's very reserved... she said she wanted to celebrate it in Cuba so I'm paying for her to go this year instead of a party.

Holiday mode sets in at the airport, still at 27 I get butterflies and all giddy checking in lol

My holiday starts when I start planning for it!
Then the more 'official' holiday starts the day before, which is a preparation day...pack case, give myself a mini-makeover and watch fun DVDs at home on the day before. Paint my nails, wash my hair and get out my traveling outfit for the next day :heartpump: EXCITING!!!:bananalove::0chacha:

That's me too!

Hooray!! :) When's your next holiday to look forward to?

I'm off to Tenerife in July :) my holiday started as soon as I picked the hotel. Can't do a lot of holiday clothes shopping yet as still got a bit of time to loose so buying lots for the other half instead. Where are you off to? x

I had to google 'Tenerife' as I didn't know where it was :) Wow, it looks really fun! I bet you'll have a great time!! I know what you mean about having a bit to lose. I have eight weeks...well, just under now, until my holiday(s), so holiday shopping happens just before the holiday. Gives me something to look forward to. Right now is uni semester for us, then study period and exams. My holidays are at the end of exams so it really gives me something amazing to look forward to!

I have a holiday at the end of June to Melbourne for four days; that's sort of a smaller break away as Melbourne is only an hour's flight from where I am and I'm staying with a friend. That's where I'm doing my clothes shopping for new wardrobe. Haven't bought new clothes in ages but it will be time then, especially as my jeans now don't stay up without a belt! ;) The *holiday holiday* though is to the Gold Coast, in Queensland...although it's winter here in Australia then (I go a week into July), Queensland will still be nice and summery :) So I have holiday #1....then a break of four days...then nine days in Queensland. Woohoo! If that's not inspiration, I don't know what is!

What kinds of things will you be doing in Tenerife? I read there are festivals there...any while you're there?
Hope you have fun...I bet you will! It looks GORGEOUS!!

Wow that sounds amazing, it's just another world out there. Just so much to see & do, best get earning more & spending less so I can see more of the world!!!!!!!!!!

For me i would say, properly, it starts when i get off the plane. Mostly as i don't like the travel part lol, i have no issues with flying or anything like that, it's the sat in the same position for 10 hours with babies screaming and people snoring. Now if i could afford First Class that would probably be an entirely different experience hehe :)

I love the planning of it, and i do get excited but hubby doesn't until we check in at the airport so it's kinda tough to keep the momentum when he's like "oh it's months, weeks away yet"

I like holidays in the UK in the summer as we just jump on the train or in the car and it's a much more pleasant journey. I have thought about cruises, but i still have the vision of it being all retired folk (altho i prefer older people to children so may not be an issue i guess)

Have a week exploring the Highlands of Scotland in September and then a week away in October, and that's what i am struggling with deciding where to go. All i wanted was hot, so was looking at Tunisia as close and warm and AI, but then hubby threw a spanner in the works and mentioned going back to Florida....now i would love that, but you can't throw that at someone when they only have 4 months to save and you're looking at £3000! (£2k holiday, £1k spending money)

He will just have to wait til next year, i can't drive myself crazy anymore trying to figure it out for this year lol

Where is everyone off to next? xx

Last edited:
When our children turned 16 we said they could chose the next holiday as it would be their last family holiday (erm wrong!!), DD was 16 in the March so December before her birthday she said I'd like to go back to Florida, :eek: we had to go after GCSEs & before Uni started which left July free, we saved like mad. Fortunately I love booking it all myself so hunted for bargins & it didn't turn out that bad.

We're off for a weekend away June sometime, depends when OH is on a long weekend, it will be in the UK & somewhere we're we've not been before & it will involve geocaching. September is Fuerteventura for a week.

Then we've got 2 wks off in December, we were going to go to Florida, but DD & her BF have split up so we're not going now. So I'm like you, I'd like to go somewhere hot, but I also want cheap as I'm thinking if I save money we could go long haul March/April 14, I have looked at Egypt for December, 4 days Cairo & Luxor & then Dahab, which is just outside Sharm for the remainder, but we'll just have to wait & see on how much money we have.

And I do know how lucky I am to have these holidays, don't forget I recently came back from India. And what we have decided is we'll go away each time it is OHs long weekend - I think they are every 8wks, but not too sure.

Hubby has long weekends like yours finishes nights on the Thursday morning then off til the following Tuesday, usually every 4/6 weeks.

We did initially have 2 weeks booked in September, then it got changed to a week. And now it's being changed again and just confusing me lol.

I'm so tempted to just contact the dog sitter and put everything back the way it was (I.e 2 weeks sept and grab late deal somewhere) but I'm so conscious of messing her about that I don't wanna bring it up really.
Hubby in the "she's a company, it's costing us over £600 for 2 weeks and change it as much as you like" and I'm in the "she's still a person trying to do her job and I can't keep mucking her about" camp.

:banghead:

We did Florida last September and we loved it but it was overshadowed a lot because at the time my brother was very poorly in hospital so 70% of the time I was worrying about that. Then we got home and my FIL died Christmas night so think we could both definitely use a decent break away! (Oops we did have NYC in feb :) )
Have you ever been to Florida in February? Might be an alternative if I can't manage it this year.

We are lucky too, I do realise it. I think it's all the mucking about tbh. I'm very organised usually and all the changes are hurting my little brain lol

Back