My Lighter Life Lite Diary

I can't wait for the warmer weather Rose. I love the time of year where you can leave the house without a coat and ditch the boots for flip flops!

Yesterday was a good day, despite having to battle with myself - this time over crisps and the obstacle of a night out. Before starting LLL, I used to consume at least one bag of crisps a day and would think nothing of going on a night out and drinking myself into oblivion and nursing that hangover the next day with stodgy comfort food.

So first challenge - the night out. I decided to be really honest and told my work friends that I'm being boringly strict on this diet, and can't drink so would be missing out on a few nights out over the next month or so. I did get some comments of 'just stick to spirits' etc, but I said, I'm really sorry - I'm worried about my health and just need to prioritise it at the moment. But have an amazing time! It didn't feel great, but not having to battle with the temptation on a night out, was a big burden off my mind.

I don't know if me missing out on something social made me feel a bit low, but I almost fell into old behaviour of turning to food to comfort the bad feelings away. I can't even remember why I was standing in front of the vending machine on the train station platform, but I have never been so close to buying some crisps since starting this diet. I even went to grab my purse from my bag, but I bizarrely heard a little voice in my head saying "Why do you really need them?" - my reply "I'm hungry", my head "No, you think you are but you're not. If you don't have the crisps, what'll happen?", my reply "Nothing. I won't have ruined my diet so I'll be happy and guilt-free". Obviously and thankfully this was all said in my head, so I won't have looked too mental infront of everyone... But I got on my train home, and didn't give it another thought.

Then I got home, and made my LLL shake whilst chatting to my boyfriend. I asked him if he'd eaten his dinner yet, he said he had a small meal but he was still hungry. I offered to make him some pasta, but he refused saying "I might just snack on some Kettle chips". I said okay... and in my head, I just started aching for some. I whined at him saying "All I want today is a few crisps", dangerous territory. I know if he had said "a few won't do you any harm", I would have gone for it. But he thankfully didn't.
He reasoned with me, and we discussed how I'd feel if I had some crisps. I explained I'd feel guilty and probably lose faith in the diet and myself, and as punishment binge! He said, "I love how you look and think you're fantastic, but I've noticed how happy you've been since having control over food. So why mess it up now over a few crisps that have no nutritional value?"

I love him for that support, despite feeling a little guilty as he didn't end up having any crisps either.

I am so glad I got through those challenges yesterday. :O) Relieved!

And today my menu is as follows:

B: LL Porridge
LL bar (had it early as hungry)
L: Mum's chicken curry with vegetables
D: LL shake

Can't wait for lunchtime!

xxx

only weigh once every week - same day - same time - probably best in the morning with nothing ate before

do you think you will be able to maintain the same weight once you are in shape?

congratulations and a massive well done for resisting temptation you clever woman!!!!! :D

What a sensible bf you have and bless him for not having his crisps either :) Crisps was one of my many downfalls, and I haven't had any for almost 5 weeks, I think now it was habit with me, a packet at lunchtime and maybe a packet in the evening too or a huge packet at the weekend while watching a dvd :eek: You showed fantastic self control and you sound a lot like me, if I gave in and had a packet I would be seriously depressed after eating them, silly as it sounds it would affect my mood in a big way if I gave in to temptation.

funny you mention your bf noticing how happy you are, my hubby said 2 or 3 nights ago, you look as if you are glowing, your eyes are so happy...so there is definately something about losing even a little, it must boost your morale and expressions too!!!

have a great day :)

Good weekend overall despite feeling really low Sat about missing out on so many social occasions. I decided I needed something fun to do with my other half, so we decided we would eat out on Sunday but I tried my best to choose options that fit into the LLL plan.

Sat: LL Porridge
LL bar
LL shake
Meal - Ham salad

Sun: LL porridge
Meal - smoked fish, roast beef, tomato salad, rocket, green beans. This was at a restaurant so I'm sure it will have been over my allowances, but I went completely carb free so hoping it won't have made too much difference. Also had a small salted popcorn at the cinema, so didn't have my LL bar or LL shake, hoping the calories will balance out.

Today:
B: LL bar
L: Ham salad
Mid-afternoon: LL porridge
Dinner: LL shake

And another 1lb down! Not as big a loss as I'd hoped, but still highly motivated as I feel like my clothes are definitely getting looser and I feel so much healthier.

B: Missed as was in a rush for work!
L: Chilli
LL Bar
Mid-afternoon: LL shake
D: LL porridge

Got to keep going! x

Yesterday was fine, and now today:
B: LL porridge
LL bar
L: Home-made Chilli

Another straight forward day! x

Thanks Rose! Been off the boards for a wee while... It's been so busy!

So this weekend was interesting!

I visited my family and they haven't seen me since the start of me going onto LLL. All noticed I'd lost some weight and were positive - it felt good. I know my mum doesn't agree with the premise of the diet but I can handle her. She can't understand how a diet which says you can't have fruit, can be healthy. I do explain that the foodpacks include all the nutrients my body needs, and that it's not forever, and that I get food counselling and a route to management course and will eventually eat fruit again... Mum accepts it, is as supportive as she can be but she can't help but offer me food all the time which can be really frustrating.

What surprised me the most was my sister's reaction. I'll not go into all the detail but she was really aggressive and difficult. Saying ketosis isn't a healthy state for the body to be in, and basically implying I have an eating disorder. I remained calm, and was responding with my findings and research, etc etc - her voice got irrate and she told me I was being disrespectful and rude! She works in the medical field (research - nothing related to dieting though) and actually said "I'M THE MEDICAL SCIENTIST, NOT YOU" and had the most over the top reaction I have ever seen. I repeated calmly, "I would really rather not discuss my diet with you now, it clearly upsets you and I don't want to get into it". Needless to say, that wasn't the end of it (it never is with my sister) - but I just couldn't understand the aggression. I understand why people will think a VLC meal replacement diet is worrying, it's not for everyone, but I feel happy with the research and information LL have given me and believe it is safe short term and if I do it properly, could lead to huge lifestyle changes.

Anyway I'm trying to keep a thick skin and have tried not to let anyone get me off kilter... It's so hard when everyone scrutinises what you're doing. Does anyone else get hassle like this about their diets? How do you cope?

So despite all this, I've stuck to the plan to the letter... and I'm optimistic that I'll hopefully have a good weigh in.

Yesterday:
B: LL Porridge
L: LL Bar, Tuna Mayo salad
D: LL Shake
(Managed to resist wine at theatre in evening, opted for sparkling water - shiny halo!)

Today:
B: LL Shake, LL bar (hungry today)
L: Home made chilli (I seriously love it, can't get enough of it)
D: LL Porridge or soup

xxx

I couldn't make my meeting yesterday but according to my scales at home (which have been matching up to my weigh ins) - I've lost 3lb this week! Woo!

Going to a big party tonight and have spent the week debating whether or not to allow myself a drinkie, but I've decided after such a good loss to stick at it and be teetotal. It might make me appear boring or whatever, but I am on target for my goal of the Royal wedding weekend and I don't want to ruin it. Plus, I know with wine, my willpower will just go and I'll just end up thinking 'oh screw it' and eat whatever I like too. I can't risk it.

Todays plan:
B: LL Bar and Porridge
L: Ham salad
D: LL soup
Lots of sparkling water at the party instead of the freebie booze! Fingers crossed I keep my will power and resist temptation! x

Congrats on fantastic weight loss :)

good luck with resisting temptation at the party! Just tell others that you are cutting out alcohol for the time being...and are there to 'soak up the atmosphere' from everyone else, then quickly change the subject ;)...Enjoy!

Rose, I did it!

Not one sip of alcohol all night!

I didn't even miss it to be honest. I drank sparkling water, danced my socks off, had a brilliant time. I thought it would cut my night short, but I stumbled into bed at 3am, so only had 3.5 hours sleep and I feel hungover but now I realise most of the hangovers I used to have must've actually been tiredness as I feel rubbish! My feet kill! Great party and I had lots of comments about how much weight I've lost. It's sad but I was chuffed people had noticed.

Today's Menu:
B: LL Bar and LL Porridge
L: Low fat cottage cheese, lots of salad

Feeling rather smug and happy - so glad I didn't succumb to the free bar! xxx

*Warning food talk!*

I had a lovely weekend, beginning with a massive food shop on Saturday as I had friends coming that evening for dinner. I laid on a massive spread of:
Starter: 2 types of baked camembert (Pesto and Sunblushed tomatoes, Rosemary and Garlic) served with fresh tiger baguette and salt and pepper crackers
Main: Steak, blue cheese, rocket, beetroot and red onion salad, balsalmic, rosemary and garlic roasted potatoes
Dessert: Home made brownies and ice-cream

There's something quite depressing about spending a small fortune on nice food, and time in the kitchen cooking - without being able to enjoy the fruits of your labour. However, my friends had a lovely time and I realised I get a lot out of playing the hostess without ruining my diet. My bf has been hugely supportive and kept ensuring I had my top up of fizzy water whilst topping up our friends' glasses with wine. Bless him.

I'm run down with cold now, so not feeling very happy and can't taste anything properly. Scales now show me as being 8 st 11 - which I'm so pleased with as I feel so much better and happy to be back in the 8's. Hoping that this loss will show at my weigh in on Weds and it's not just my scales playing a mean trick on me!

X

Hi

what a lovely, mouthwatering menu :) I'm between breekie and lunch, so trying not to drool :)

Lucky friends, delicious meal and well done to you for keeping on track. Good luck for tomorrow's weigh in, I'm sure you will be very happy with result....I'm off to dream of ever being in single figures on the scales!!! :rolleyes:

Have a good day :)

Hi Rose - how you getting on?
I'm down with a horrible and nasty cold. It's been such a struggle as I'd normally take all the over the counter meds avaialble to me and suck on lozenges all day for my sore throat, but as they contain sugar, I can't on this diet.

I have kept fluid intake high though and drinking plenty of hot drinks.

I couldn't make the meeting today as too poorly but my scales say a 3lb loss! Woo woo woo!

My friend's wedding is on the 30 April so I have two weeks to reach my target, so I'm almost there... Eek. x

Well done :) You are certainly winning the battle!
Hope your cold gets better soon, I had a nasty sore throat/ear recently complete with 'lovely' cold sore..yeuk!

I am doing okay thanks, weigh in looming so am on my best behaviour. Enjoy the wedding when it comes, I love spring weddings, I was a spring bride myself!!!!

have a good day :)

Ah thanks Rose. Hope you're having a good weekend? How was the weigh in?

I went to a BBQ today and have been feeling guilty ever since... I had half a portion of brownie which I'm strictly not allowed and instantly feel fat which is just stupid.

V cross with myself, but then this is the first time I've misbehaved in 6 weeks! So trying to draw a line under it and keep focused.

Hope you're well and smiley! Lovely weather here, hope its lovely for you too x

Hi
a wee treat in 6 weeks is good going!;) it won't have done any major damage, don't worry, look on it as a tiny reward :) I do know what you mean though about feeling fat and bad if you succumb, I felt the same on my anniversary weekend, but I recovered from it. 1lb off last week, and waiting to see what tomorrow brings :eek:

Sunny up here, going to clean my windows to burn off an ounce or two ;)

Have a great day :)

Hi Rose! is it weigh in day today??? Good luck! Nothing like a good dose of house work to burn off those lbs! It sounds like you're doing great.
i had another great day yesterday. My boyfriend's best mate came by for dinner, and I cooked fresh pizza, cooked meats and cheeses, fresh bread, yummy salads - proper summery fresh feast! I resisted temptation of the pizza though and stuck to my plate of salad, cottage cheese and ham. Got the same today for lunch...

I haven't got too much further to go now with my weight loss. My goal was my friends wedding on 30 April, but as I didn't get to celebrate my anniversary with my other half at the beginning of this diet (it seems pointless to eat out when I couldn't eat anything!) we've agreed i'll have this fri evening off to enjoy a meal and some wine with him (it's at a deli bistro that do exclusive themed restaurant nights once a month - we booked in 3 months ago to get our seats for the mexican night so it should be fun). I do intend to get back on it the very next day. I know it'll slow down my weight loss for the next couple of weeks, but i really don't want to lose the chance to have some nice memories with him and we haven't had a night off together to do something like this since Christmas.

My dress for the wedding turned up on friday. It's strapless (horror) and a fresh coral colour. I can't wait to wear it. it feels a little tight on the chest though so i'm a little bit scared but hoping to do some more exercise this week and get in shape. I'll need a back up just in case though. gosh, the motivation of clothes! Haha!

Hope you have a great start to the week x

Back