My Low Carb Journey

It really hasn't been strongly linked to breast cancer. It's been -possibly- linked to a slight increase in instances of breast cancer in women who already have specific hormone problems or who are post menopausal and taking HRT. But nearly every food we eat (look to the daily mail for the list) has been linked to slight possible increases in one way or another. Again in SE Asia where women drink 10 x the amount of soya milk we do in the west there is a much lower breast cancer rate. Then again SE Asian women have a healthier diet in many other aspects.

Soya milk also contains protein kinase inhibitors which protect against abnormal cell growth, therefore it's possibly protective against many other types of cancers. If it raises estrogen levels it can also be said to protect against cancers that prey on low estrogen levels.

We would not eat anything if we had to avoid foods with the same tenuous links soya has to cancer.

But really, you only have to worry about it if your hormone levels are wonky. Which mine are, and I still drink it happily. Just like I eat pork, butter, other red meats happily despite there being more studies linking them to raising cancer risks.

Soy

moonlights said:
It really hasn't been strongly linked to breast cancer. It's been -possibly- linked to a slight increase in instances of breast cancer in women who already have specific hormone problems or who are post menopausal and taking HRT. But nearly every food we eat (look to the daily mail for the list) has been linked to slight possible increases in one way or another. Again in SE Asia where women drink 10 x the amount of soya milk we do in the west there is a much lower breast cancer rate. Then again SE Asian women have a healthier diet in many other aspects.

Soya milk also contains protein kinase inhibitors which protect against abnormal cell growth, therefore it's possibly protective against many other types of cancers. If it raises estrogen levels it can also be said to protect against cancers that prey on low estrogen levels.

We would not eat anything if we had to avoid foods with the same tenuous links soya has to cancer.

But really, you only have to worry about it if your hormone levels are wonky. Which mine are, and I still drink it happily. Just like I eat pork, butter, other red meats happily despite there being more studies linking them to raising cancer risks.

Soy

Thank you! You are extremely knowledgeable. I need to do some more research on this :)

Hi Moonlights, I don't actually like the taste of soya milk tho like most things I suppose it is an acquired taste. I remember having to be careful with it to ensure it didn't curdle if the water was too hot :( I pay no heed to all the talk about what we should and shouldn't eat, tho now I am trying to eat natural unprocessed foods and my body feels much better for it.

I have discovered recently that the need to eat was actually thirst talking.................how very strange, think my brain has been mis-translating my body for me for a long time....................:doh:

I came back because I worried I sounded a bit too gung-ho - I've had some personal experience of cancer and it's an interest point for me. Spent some time last year particularly researching cancer statistics and how studies are reported in the media. Not to jump down your throat!

I actually used to hate the taste of soya milk, last time I tried it was a couple of years ago. Approached it this time with some trepidation and love it now - though I only like it either warmed itself or in a warm drink (aka tea). I think the different brands taste very different. The alpro stuff doesn't curdle for me either, I tip it in hot tea and it's fine. But I'm not actually on a publicity campaign for alpro, I promise. I have calcium/D malnutrition and my rheumatologist wants me to drink a pint of milk a day so I rely on soya as a substitute.

That thirst/hunger thing is so tricky isn't it. I've heard it said that a lot of the time our experience of hunger is mainly thirst. And sometimes if I finish a meal and still feel hungry after I grab a drink and that triggers the feeling of fullness. I read somewhere a long time ago that if we actually feel thirsty (as opposed to hungry) with no specific trigger (like wanting to cool down on a hot day) then we're already dehydrated. No idea of the truth in that as I drink constantly and still feel thirsty, but it's interesting.

Jillian Michaels is very anti processed food and endorses coconut milk.

Moonlights don't worry and no problem with putting your point and information forward.......we are all here to learn from each other with information or tips.

I know I don't drink enough which is why I've decided to drink a glass of water every hour..........where possible as I know I need to up my fluid intake especially as I like salt on my food................I know, I know......... its bad for me, but food just doesn't taste the same without it :)

Sorry Mel, don't think I could drink coconut milk in tea either...........wouldn't it make it sweet? I use coconut oil in cooking especially things like curries.

...would you like the talk on why most of the 'salt is bad for you' hype is just that - hype?

I've probably rambled enough for today haven't I ;) but I love salty food, too.

No offence taken - I actually quite like it when people debate with me or correct me - it's how I learn best!

Tried coconut milk in coffee. S'okay but not all that great. May be an acquired taste!

Re salt - isn't it only on a high carb diet that's a problem?

Where do you stand on fibre, moonlight? I've read a lot of conflicting stuff on this...

No offence taken - I actually quite like it when people debate with me or correct me - it's how I learn best!

Tried coconut milk in coffee. S'okay but not all that great. May be an acquired taste!

Re salt - isn't it only on a high carb diet that's a problem?

Where do you stand on fibre, moonlight? I've read a lot of conflicting stuff on this...

I've obviously not read as much as I thought I had....................what do you mean stand on fibre.............is there an issue of it............have I missed something?

I like almond milk, you can get it from Holland & Barratt although it's quite pricey. My bf has the vitamin d thing & osteoporosis & severe arthritis & he's been told to limit dairy & get calcium from other sources. Interesting. He has to est Atkins style because of his conditions & loves it, it's improved his arthritis loads & it's the first thing his consultant recommended. Sorry for the hijack!

Dawnejoy said:
I've obviously not read as much as I thought I had....................what do you mean stand on fibre.............is there an issue of it............have I missed something?

Well I'd read in low carb books that fibre is overplayed - that there's no evidence we need as much as the recommended amount. Communities, such as the inuits, live fine almost fibre free. But then I watched Robert lustigs lecture on sugar and he was on about the importance of fibre and was claiming the healthiest paleo communities had up to 100g a day (all from veg & fruit). So I haven't decided where I stand on this issue. Obviously I won't be getting my fibre from whole grains, but should I be upping my veg intake, or just make sure I'm eating some at every meal and not worry too much about how much?

I have osteoporosis too which, aged 30, frankly sucks. My rheumatologist wanted me to drink a pint of milk per day - I also take calcit d3 forte and get calcium infusions and d injections regularly as a chronic case. He was fine with me switching to soya milk though - your BF was probably told to avoid dairy due to his arthritis - my grandmother has arthritic joint problems and she has to avoid both dairy and gluten. It really has helped her. I don't have the same, so currently dairy is fine.

Salt in brief: we are told salt is bad for us because salt can cause water retention and water retention can cause high blood pressure and high blood pressure can cause strokes. I'm on my phone right now but there are a lot of studies being done showing that the effect a higher salt intake has on someone with normal blood pressure is practically nil. You won't raise your blood pressure eating salt, but if you already have high blood pressure it's not going to help you. So, mostly hype based on one small truth grain. But mostly what annoys me about the salt advice is that processed white carbs also cause water retention. Where's the govt health warning on them?

Fibre: I eat a lot of it in the form of glucommanan but I don't know much about the health benefits, though I've heard the rep for preventing bowel problems. It keeps me regular and is filling so it's groovy by me.

He's 35 & has crohns, osteoporosis, severe arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis & various deficiencies. The thing that helps the most is sunlight! Crazy isn't it. But, even knowing about all this stuff has meant he can alter his diet, take supplements & remove almost all his symptoms. Good times :)

Evening folks - some great info on here so keep it coming:)

My penny's worth;)
Salt - agree have upped this now i am off carbs and my bp has dropped:)
Fibre - some debate about necessity - and also the difference between bulking fibre and some more digestible/soluble ones. Personally i love my veggies so will keep having them
Water - afraid this is another hype one - all the views about 8 glasses per day are complete rubbish and based on the "we are made of water so must be good for us" hypothosis. Luckily we have very good evolutionary system that tells us when to drink (aka thirst;) ) - however true that we may sometimes mistake hunger and thirst - so i definitely agree with the trick of having glass water if "hungry" when think probably shouldn't be!

Last edited:
Kat1e said:
Evening folks - some great info on here so keep it coming:)

My peeny's worth;)
Salt - agree have upped this now i am off carbs and my bp has dropped:)
Fibre - some debate about necessity - and also the difference between bulking fibre and some more digestible/soluble ones. Personally i love my veggies so will keep having them
Water - afraid this is another hype one - all the views about 8 glasses per day are complete rubbish and based on the "we are made of water so must be good for us" hypothosis. Luckily we have very good evolutionary system that tells us when to drink (aka thirst;) ) - however true that we may sometimes mistake hunger and thirst - so i definitely agree with the trick of having glass water if "hungry" when think probably shouldn't be!

Fibre and lower risk for colon cancer. Water and better complexion.

I am learning so much :)

I had heard that there had been a turnaround with regards to salt and I must admit that I probably eat more than would be recommended by I like it and think that food tastes bland without it tho suppose you can get used to anything...........:)

Fibre ......... well I eat veg, cabbage in particular and sometimes a whole one all to myself :) but no fruit as I find it a trigger and some days I probably don't have the recommended daily of 5 portions. I find for me regularity is controlled more by the amount of water I drink..............sounds strange, but if I'm nicely hydrated I have no problems and if I don't I become constipated regardless of the amount veg I eat................is that too much information :giggle:

The problem is that no matter what we can be advised to eat by one person, someone else will come along to disprove it.............look at the turn around regarding butter.

I do believe that you should read the articles and try them if they suit your ideas, but at the end of the day I truthfully believe that you have to go with how your body feels and on that note I'm off for another glass of water. :D

I've not had a brilliant weekend as we had some more bad news and I didn't feel particularly well over both days, but I have remained on track and have now lost all the weight I put on whilst on holiday, so back down to 14st, want to lose at least 1lb this week so I will tip into the 13s as that will make me feel good I'm sure........I seem to have been languishing in the 14s for a long time now!!!! Had fruit and cream at the weekend too, which I thoroughly enjoyed, tho my body stalls when eating that, but decided that eating it on Sat I've got the rest of the week to counteract any negative effects..........thats the thinking anyway!!!! :)I've stopped eating breakfast as I now have some Aloe Vera Juice daily, and that has sugar in it which tho not ideal is helping my tendonitis and bursitis so I don't want to give it up. I'm hoping that if I have that as breakfast then leave the recommended 3-4 hrs before eating a "fat" lunch then it won't stall my weight loss too much :fingerscrossed:Lunch is usually a mim with cheese, tho plan on making some mackeral pate, but as I shopped in lidl last week I didn't manage to buy any, so thats for the next shopping trip or tuna, salmon saladTea is usually meat and veg and trying to up the amount of water I drink.I have gone on to lactose free milk for the copious amounts of tea I drink tho I do accept that I should knock that on the head!!!!I keep telling myself that I will redo phase 1, but somehow that just isn't happening and I have no idea why I just don't knuckle down and do it as its no real hardship at all........so whats the problem????right suppose I'd better get back and do some work............:giggle:

Morning Dawn,

So close... I hope you get there soon, and the bad news stop coming. I'm a big fan of The Skinny Rules ATM. They seem to be working for me and I am a notoriously poor loser.

image-1204100696.jpg

Dawn

Sorry to hear that you've not felt well
and to top it off had bad news as well
Hope your feeling better this morning hun

Sending hugs your way xx

Ps nearly forgot to say well done for staying on track

Hope you are feeling better soon Dawn. I was looking at the lactofree milk in the supermarket myself as a lower carb option but haven't tried it yet. Just take it all one day at a time, the weight will go when it's ready no point stressing too much as long as you are on plan most of the time.

Back