My not-quite-atkins but low carb diary :)

Sapphire

Hiya everyone, I thought i'd start a diary, to keep my on track and remind me of my success if I stall! Although I don't do Atkins, my diet is very similar, just different percentages, and I feel more comfortable posting in here than general low carb.

So - introduction, i'm Laura, nearly 28, and i'm 5'3. My user name is Sapphire because that was the name of my horse when I first joined this forum!

I have done every diet under the sun - WW, slimming world, calorie counting, you name it, and although the weight has come off slooowly (10lbs in a year!) I was getting thoroughly fed up of counting calories, and I would use my leftover calories on junk. I did manage to get down to 130lbs though one diet or another a few years ago but piled it all back on.

I was browsing through books on Amazon and came across one by Barry Groves "eat fat get thin" - there weren't many reviews but all of them 5 star, positive reviews. I liked the sound of it, similar to Atkins but different percentages, the main difference is I can have full fat milk in my tea, I never got on with watered down cream on atkins.

So no more counting calories for me, the idea is to have fat as my largest percentage of my diet (around 60%), then protein (20%), then carbs (15%) but I aim to have no more than 60g of carbs a day (as recommended). And veg wise it'll be mainly green veggies and cauli.

I already have so much more energy, my stomach looks flatter, I feel satisfied after my meals, and i'm eating real, tasty food!

My first weigh in is tuesday 31st May, I think I started at 10st 4lbs because the day before, I ate everything in sight, white bread with fake butter, sugar in my tea (highly unusual!), a Thornton's toffee chocolate ice cream, basically anything I could get my paws on, I don't know what was wrong with me! I've been weighing most days since then and i've seen 10st 1lb for the first time in a couple of years
biggrin2.gif

I really, really want to get to a weight where I feel confident, for the first time ever, and maintain it for life.

Hopefully that will all change this year...first weigh in tomorrow!

Today's menu has been:

B - 1 oopsie roll with a slice of pastrami and a slice of jarlsberg.
L - amaaaazing salad of chicken breast fried in olive oil and butter, iceberg lettuce, cucumber, 1/2 avocado, chopped up slice of bacon, and dressed with cracked black pepper, drizzle of olive oil, and 1 tbsp sussex valley blue cheese mayo. Got lots of fats in and it's kept me really full up.
D - Not sure yet but i'm thinking mashed cauli and a couple of jamie oliver's italian sausages. Homemade low carb 'mousse' for dessert :)

I keep going over my fat and protein levels I set for myself on my fitness pal, but i'm always within my carbs. I don't know how much of a problem this is? I still have fat as the most, then protein, then carbs.

Hi sapphire
Good to see your diary. Good luck:)

Sapphire said:
Hiya everyone, I thought i'd start a diary, to keep my on track and remind me of my success if I stall! Although I don't do Atkins, my diet is very similar, just different percentages, and I feel more comfortable posting in here than general low carb.

So - introduction, i'm Laura, nearly 28, and i'm 5'3. My user name is Sapphire because that was the name of my horse when I first joined this forum!

I have done every diet under the sun - WW, slimming world, calorie counting, you name it, and although the weight has come off slooowly (10lbs in a year!) I was getting thoroughly fed up of counting calories, and I would use my leftover calories on junk. I did manage to get down to 130lbs though one diet or another a few years ago but piled it all back on.

I was browsing through books on Amazon and came across one by Barry Groves "eat fat get thin" - there weren't many reviews but all of them 5 star, positive reviews. I liked the sound of it, similar to Atkins but different percentages, the main difference is I can have full fat milk in my tea, I never got on with watered down cream on atkins.

So no more counting calories for me, the idea is to have fat as my largest percentage of my diet (around 60%), then protein (20%), then carbs (15%) but I aim to have no more than 60g of carbs a day (as recommended). And veg wise it'll be mainly green veggies and cauli.

I already have so much more energy, my stomach looks flatter, I feel satisfied after my meals, and i'm eating real, tasty food!

My first weigh in is tuesday 31st May, I think I started at 10st 4lbs because the day before, I ate everything in sight, white bread with fake butter, sugar in my tea (highly unusual!), a Thornton's toffee chocolate ice cream, basically anything I could get my paws on, I don't know what was wrong with me! I've been weighing most days since then and i've seen 10st 1lb for the first time in a couple of years

I really, really want to get to a weight where I feel confident, for the first time ever, and maintain it for life.

Hopefully that will all change this year...first weigh in tomorrow!

This sounds great it's kinda what I do... Had a few bad days but been brilliant today and already feel thinner :) ... Weird as soon as my carbs go down to almost nothing I lose x

Thanks everyone :) Going to bed earlier will help, I know it's late now but i've just had 11 days off (had to use up my holiday) and i've been terrible for staying up til 3 or 4am just watching tv or going on the internet, don't know why but a proper night's sleeps always seems to help my weight! Back to work on wednesday, working will help too i'm sure as I have quite a physical job when i'm not driving around.

quak - I used to be a trainee chef and I always make sure I make myself tasty meals, definatley beats boring old pasta 'n' sauce which was my slimming world staple :eek:I'm doing more cooking now than I have in ages! (well done on your amazing loss by the way, just looked at your siggy photos!)

Will weigh first thing tomorrow and let you know :)

You are so right about sleep helping with weight loss Sapphire.. it's proven. My trainer goes nuts if I don't get a minimum of 8 hours. He's more disappointed in that than if I don't lose weight!.. odd fella... but you're right you need to give your body time to rest up..

Good luck with your diary. you sound like you're off to a good start. Looking forward to your update tomorrow!

Sleep definitely helps, I'm an 8 hour girl myself, tres grumpy if I don't get it but love staying up too, welcome to the yin and yang of life :)

Good luck for tomorrow :)

Hiya, weighed in this morning at 10st 1.5lb :D

So i've lost 2.5lbs this week, fantastic! I know i've been eating too much in general, especially late at night, so i'll be glad to go back to work tomorrow and get back into a routine, 3 meals a day and a couple of snacks if needed, not picking at things all day.
And i'm going to limit the cheese a bit more.

Feel great, and flatter stomach, hurrah!

Thanks everyone! I've been busy today visiting my baby niece and fixing my brother's boiler so haven't been picking!

ooh the low carb mousse - it's a sachet of hartley's sugar free strawberry jelly made up with 1/2 pint boiling water and then put in the fridge until almost set. Then I whisk in 150ml double cream until completely smooth (could have used an electric mixer/whisk to make it fluffier but i'd had enough of washing up for the day!). Then refridgerate again until set.

Absolutely gorgeous! I split it into 4 servings or else i'd scoff the lot in one go :)

Bit of a weird food day, not much of an appetite today (that would be because I got a full nights sleep! Lack of sleep makes me have the munchies all day).

Also haven't cut out any dairy like I said I would lol!

B - quick brekkie of 2 scrambled eggs with a splash of whole milk and knob of butter, salt and pepper, 1 tbsp cream cheese, 2 slices of pastrami and a dollop of blue cheese mayo for fat.
L - very late lunch so just had 2 hard boiled eggs, some leftover roast pork and a cheese string!
D - Not hungry at all but really needed some fat so made some guacamole from 1/2 avocado, 1 tbsp cream cheese, splash of lime juice, chopped garlic, and had it with some cucumber slices. Also had a roll up of a pastrami slice, cream cheese and a baby gherkin (yum!).
Drinks - 5 mugs of tea and a gorgeous homemade iced vanilla latte. My DaVinci vanilla syrup arrived today! Plus water.

My percentages and grams of fat, protein and carbs were almost spot on today despite the low amount of food, and even though I had a terrible day for veggies.

Trying to work out what to take for a packed lunch tomorrow as i'm back to work. Think it'll be snacky food and no oopsie rolls left and worried salad will go soggy sitting in my van all day. Need to invest in a coolbox!

Thanks, I definately agree! Getting more veggies into my dinner today, percentages are good again, back at work today. Breakfast was rubbish but didn't want food! Definately taking a salad for lunch tomorrow, had to rely on bits and pieces from the co-op today. Normally i'd go home for lunch but can't do that til july.

B- latte and a babybel!
L- pepperami, fridge raiders, stuffed peppadew peppers and some olives with feta.
D-2 jamie oliver sausages, broccoli and mashed cauli.
Tea throughout the day and water with sugar free squash.

I feel so tired this evening, bit of a shock to the system going back to work, and then came home and tidied the house, really looking forward to my dinner!

Ooh i forgot i'm making a tuna and broccoli frittata type thing to go with my salad for lunch, yummy! Just got to keep it cool somehow. Think i'll get a cheap coolbag from asda tomorrow.

Back