My own VLCD with real food (no meal replacements)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no need to go so low for rapid weight loss

I was 24 stone on mach the 9th 2010
and today im 16 stone 0

8 Stone in 4 months
on a strict 1000 cals a day

The main thing to loosing weight fast
is sticking to the x cals rigidly

There is no need to go so low for rapid weight loss

I was 24 stone on mach the 9th 2010
and today im 16 stone 0

8 Stone in 4 months
on a strict 1000 cals a day

The main thing to loosing weight fast
is sticking to the x cals rigidly

Hmmm. Hi StevieW, and congratulations on getting to a healthier weight. But I'm afraid you're wrong in two important respects:

If someone does want rapid weight loss, they do need to do a formula diet for safety. (See all the posts above.)

Secondly, sticking to 1000 Cals a day will give fast weight loss if someone has a lot to lose, but it is almost impossible to achieve a healthy, balanced intake of conventional foods below about 1600 Cals a day.

Calories are only one part of the equation.

But I do wish you success and good health.

I will stick to my
Salad/Veg/Protein thanks

In 1981, a physician and an entrepreneur joined forces for another dangerous diet scheme: The Cambridge Diet.* Jack Feather, who originated the idea, was a Walter Cunningham type who built a fortune in the 1960s with his wife Elaine selling women the bodies they wanted to have. They peddled figure salons, Mark Eden bust-developers, Trim-Jeans, the Sauna Belt, and then in the 1980s, the Cambridge Diet. In the 1960s and 70s, romance and true story magazines were filled with Feather's fabulous promises for his products: "Astro-trimmer the most astounding waist and tummy reducer of all time!" Many featured lovely young women with enormous breasts, who swore their bustlines were the result not of nature or silicone, but a hand-held exercise contraption. "The very first time I used Mark II I saw my bust line become rounder and fuller and actually grow three full inches right before my eyes!" one testified. For fifteen years, while the Feathers increased the size and fullness of their bank accounts, the U.S. Postal Service battled with them to stop making outlandish claims. Finally, in 1981, they were indicted on 13 counts of mail fraud, and made a deal with the government to pay $1.1 million and to stop selling bust developers, Astro-Trimmers and other diet aids. But by that time, they were ready to move on to their biggest scam. In 1979, Feather had come across a copy of the International Journal of Obesity, which described University of Cambridge nutrition researcher Alan Howard's work putting patients on very low, 320-calorie-a-day diets. Feather decided he wanted to add a diet to his line of figure-enhancing products, and made a deal with Howard to put the diet on the market. By this time, the very low calorie diet had already proven itself to be disastrous, since 58 people had died from being on the commercial liquid diets that were popular in 1976 and 1977. The amount of protein in these drinks was insufficient to keep the body from feeding on its own stores of protein, including lean muscle tissue and vital organs. The Cambridge Diet, however, advertised that it was "the perfect food," and "provides you with scientifically balanced nutrition," and backed its claims with assurances from Dr. Howard, who was hardly an unbiased scientific observer, but continued to defend the product in scientific journals without revealing he'd been paid for his services. It took journal articles by other well-known obesity researchers to bring to light the fact that even Howard's own research showed that the extreme diet burned up the body's muscles and organs. After two months, the US Postal Service and the FDA forced Feather to stop mail-order sales from ads that claimed that the Cambridge Diet would produce "no harmful side effects," was "metabolically balanced," and that people could stay on the formula for an "unlimited amount of time." Feather stopped selling the product through the mail, and instead created the kind of wildly profitable multi-level marketing plan used today by Herbalife. The diet sold by word-of-mouth, with counselors who served as cheerleaders and spiritual advisors for their clients. The diet counselor who sold the liquid formula not only got a profit from each can sold to his own customers, but a percentage of the sales of each counselor he recruited into the Cambridge "family." This pyramid scheme was so successful that some counselors were earning more than $150,000 a month. Successful counselors-turned-executives were rewarded with BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, solid gold pens, and glitzy, celebrity-ridden hotel extravaganzas. Eventually, more than three million people had tried the diet, which Feather marketed as "an Ultimate Truth." For some, it was the ultimate diet: Some people died from heart attacks before the FDA forced the company to stop selling the nutritionally inadequate diet drinks.* The Cambridge Diet debacle shows just how dangerous weight loss marketing schemes can be. The problem with most weight loss products sold over the years is they don't work, except to make the promoter wealthy. The problem with the rest is that they do work, temporarily, by promoting unhealthy weight loss through starvation, as in the case of the early version of the Cambridge Diet, or by stimulating the nervous system, as in the case of over-the-counter diet pills containing phenylpropanolamine (now banned in the United States), which not only cause unpleasant side effects such as dizziness and irritability, but can lead to heart attacks and stroke. If money were the only thing people lost in diet scams, it would be serious enough. But many people have lost their good health or their lives trying to lose weight. No matter what the claims, no quick-acting obesity cures to date really work to help people lose weight permanently. At best, they only make your wallet thinner.

Ah, that old quote. About 99% of that piece is inaccurate, and I'm sure you don't believe most of what you read in the papers, do you?

Cambridge Weight Plan has been approved by the British Government's NICE Guidelines for about 26 years now - even though it's hardly changed since Dr Alan Howard developed it at Cambridge University in the early 80s.

But the most researched diet in the world is obviously not for you, so I again wish you all the best.

You are clearly here to sell your wares
that you no doubt get a fair markup on

and are trying to scare people by stating less than 1600 cals wont get you the required nutrients a day
unless i buy your wares

thats total rubbish
I am eating healthier now than i have in the last 20 years

and healthier than everyone i know

what exactly are your qualifications
in this field to allow you to state that

Today's menu

1 Nescafe Cappuccino Skinny 52 Cals
1 Muller Light Cherry 93.1 Cals

200g tesco mixed salad 40cal
100g Green Pepper 20
100g Red Pepper 26
50g Red onion 20
250g Cuecumber 38
100g Cherry Tomatoes 18
150g Prawns 91.5
White Pepper
Vinegar
235.5 Cals

502.6 Cals total

Dinner will be

200g boiled garden beans 50
100g boiled carrots 22
100g broccoli 24
100g Cauli 29
100g Sprouts 35
Weight Watchers Hotpot ontop 209

369 Cals
871.6 Cals Total

3 Peaches 99 Cals
1 Plum 30 Cals

1 Multi Vitamin
1 Calcium+Vitamin D

Dinner

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8452/dsc00096q.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5276/dsc00093hx.jpg

you tell me how that is worse than
some thrown together drink/bar and a few vitamins sprinkled on top

without getting into the goods/bads of VLCDs I just wanted to say its lovely to see your GP taking the time and interest in your weight loss and being so supportive. makes and refreshing change and best of luck with it, I have thought about this idea (doing my own VLCD) but never worked it out it would be nice to see what the 3 of you come up with.

Bravo stevie! but be careful with your anti cambridge diet posts I've seen people on here get barred for less! I'm on a 1270 cal diet and its working for me, I'm not in a rush to lose weight rapidly just want to get in the habit of eating this amount til I reach target then up to 1600 for maintenance. An extra 400cals is gonna feel amazing and loads of extra food when I do it. My biggest secret weightloss weapon is cheap basic porridge oats 50gs made with 300mls water only 180cals and really fills you up and a fantastic healthy start to the day!

I think that vlcds could be cheaper.... I mean the mark-up on these products must be loads! if the demand for them wasnt there then they wouldnt sell I do feel as you do Stevie but some people cant lose weight without these products and many are on and off them for years still if they can afford it then who am i to complain, I cant afford such things but find calorie counting easy enough, and it only takes alittle effort. Whilst I dont pay to do a vlcd I find that I can do quite well without it, I would up cals to a reasonable amount as you are able to add foods you like without feeling too guilty and 450 is just not enough and you will only fall off the wagon, many people eat emotionally and if you have had a bad day you may find you just eat and eat and eat. wheras you can make room for a choc treat if you are on 1200 or so cals without feeling you have blown it. good luck no matter what journey you are on

Stevie are you on facebook?? I would love to be in contact with you, what an inspiration! PM me

Firstly - so glad your GP is backing you on this - at least you have peace of mind that you are being monitored and safe

Secondly - whether or not you agree with another person's diet choice is irrelevant - this site is firstly and foremost for support.

xxx

hear hear Toots! Horses for courses an' all that :)

I dont have a problem with any diet really if people want to waste theyr cash its upto them, but i dont like it when people spread fud

Nope not on facebook sorry
if you want any tips though feel free to message me

Bravo stevie! but be careful with your anti cambridge diet posts I've seen people on here get barred for less! I'm on a 1270 cal diet and its working for me, I'm not in a rush to lose weight rapidly just want to get in the habit of eating this amount til I reach target then up to 1600 for maintenance. An extra 400cals is gonna feel amazing and loads of extra food when I do it. My biggest secret weightloss weapon is cheap basic porridge oats 50gs made with 300mls water only 180cals and really fills you up and a fantastic healthy start to the day!

I think that vlcds could be cheaper.... I mean the mark-up on these products must be loads! if the demand for them wasnt there then they wouldnt sell I do feel as you do Stevie but some people cant lose weight without these products and many are on and off them for years still if they can afford it then who am i to complain, I cant afford such things but find calorie counting easy enough, and it only takes alittle effort. Whilst I dont pay to do a vlcd I find that I can do quite well without it, I would up cals to a reasonable amount as you are able to add foods you like without feeling too guilty and 450 is just not enough and you will only fall off the wagon, many people eat emotionally and if you have had a bad day you may find you just eat and eat and eat. wheras you can make room for a choc treat if you are on 1200 or so cals without feeling you have blown it. good luck no matter what journey you are on

Stevie are you on facebook?? I would love to be in contact with you, what an inspiration! PM me

I have done 1000 cals on the cross trainer at the gym around 30 times

My weight loss has been slowing down but i repainted my living room last week and it picked back up

Im repainting my bedroom this week :p

Have closed this thread as (a) it was an old one and (b) think everything has been said x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back