My recipe went wrong!!

Holidaygirl10

Silver Member
Hi everyone

I made a slimming world baked choc cheesecake for Valentines Day and it was so awful we had to throw the whole lot away!
It had too much cocoa in it and not enough low fat spread to hold biscuit base together:confused:
After everyone fell about laughing ( kids and other halves had come home from Uni, so no romantic meal!) I checked the recipe I had printed off and it was def correct measurements I had used!:confused:

Never mind it wasn't the end of the world:eek:
Anyone else had this happen to them?

x

I tried making the ginger bread men out of the magazine once and they were rank - checked the amounts and i had followed the recipe correctly, I just believe they were always going to be vile - nowhere near enough margarine to ever resemble anything other than cardboard.

And I messed up some fairy cakes from the summertime leaflet, but readily admit my baking skills are not great.

Cakes in general always go wrong for me, people on here always seem to say they've made nice low syn cakes, but to me, without real sugar and butter they are never going to be quite right.

Hi

Well atleast it's not just me. Cooking is about the only thing I am good at, but sometimes things go wrong!
Guess it just wasn't meant to be:mad:
I made a rhubarb and bread pudding from the magazine, my daughter said it looked like a rhubarb sandwich;)
That went in the bin too!
However to be positive I do make a lot of very succesful savoury slimming world dishes:)

The artificial sweeteners can ruin the cakes/biscuits I think, as some just end up leaving a horrid bitter taste rather than a sweet taste once cooked.

It is best to try and sweeten cakes and things with some cooked fruit (this would add more syns), but is worth it in my opinion. Stewed apple is a good one for sponges etc.

Artificial sweetner is horrible stuff. I like to bake(though i dont bake that much anymore) and have come to the conclusion that if i am going to make a cake i will make a cake properly and syn it accordingly. I tried a cheesecake it was HORRIBLE. I can deal with fruit for something sweet after dinner if i want.

if you must use sweetener, avoid ones with aspartame, as once heated it just loses the sweetness and is horrid and bitter. Splenda is the best stuff to use in baking if you are going to use sweeteners (not the little sachets though). I use it very occasionally when it is impossible to replace the sugar ingredients in a recipe in any other way.

Either way though artificial sweeteners in any form are best avoided where possible.

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I can understand what happened now, especially as it was a baked cheesecake!
I will continue to search recipes others have been succesful with!;)

I made the a sw baileys and chocolate cheesecake on new year eve and it was yuk. Looked divine but it was bitter and had to be chucked!!

Oh no, what a waste of Baileys ;)
Sometimes the dishes def look better than they taste!!!
Making leek and poato soup for lunch, thay should be okay!;)

Its so disappointing when things go wrong- im am still trying to find a low syn sweet recipe which comes out as i'd hoped!

Last edited:
:cry:I agree, its such a waste too to cook sweet dishes and throw away!
I shall check some more on here before doing any more sweet things!:confused:
Just made pasta quiche, wow it was lovely, hubby loved it!
The leek and potato soup was good too so will stick to savoury recipes for now!:)

Im glad its not just me who struggles with baking! I made the 1/2 syn roulade and it was disgusting - really really horrible tasted like i'd made sweet scrambled eggs :/ will stick to scoffing a meringue nest in future lol

I'm an OK cook- but I think I'd prefer to have a small amount of a cake that's got 'normal' ingrigents in it than use substitutes which are never going to taste of the real thing. I have a lovely red velvet cake recipe which devides into to 12 American sized cup cakes- including the cream cheese frosting (all full fat ingridents) comes out at only 13.5 syns, I know that's a whole days worth- but to be able to have that is, I think worth not having any other syns for 1 day!

If I find a substitute recipes for something that really does taste like the real thing- I'll let you know!!

Sia x

Oh dear! At least it wasn't just a romantic meal for 2.

Back