My S&S arrived today!

Guys....am not having good day, nearly at end of day 4 now and still so starving hungry. Was desperate to eat and talked myself in and out of it a hundred times. The best diversion I could settle for was a huge mug of coffee with the tiniest splash of milk. Now, I know that compared to previous diet-breaking behaviour, this is peanuts (ahhh, peanuts, yum) but surely this cant be so bad, as you are supposed to make the porridge pack with skimmed milk arent you? So I thought it might be ok, just to get me through today! Anyway, its done now, and I didnt eat, so I will move on. I hope I stop feeling so hungry soon!

There are people who are really purist about VLCDs. You can't have this and you can't have that, you just need to stick to the rules and that's the end of it. Lipotrim is a diet like that. Apart from the shakes, bars and soups being absolutely disgusting (in my opinion anyway!) there is nothing you can have on top of these to break the monotony, for a bit of respite or to make things bearable. I try to stick to the golden rules to make an informed judgment about whether I can have something.

As this is a ketogenic diet it's most important to keep the carbs really low in order to put the body into ketosis. Essentially, to keep in ketosis you need to have less than 50g - 60g or so of carbs a day, bearing in mind that everyone is different. Shakes are about 13g, soups about 10g, bars are 15g and spag bol 14g, so on 3 per day we're up to about 42 if we have a shake, bar and spag bol. The porridge made with water is 8g and when made with skimmed milk it's 15.5g, so the 150ml of milk contains 7.5g. If you're on 3 per day I don't see why there is any reason why you can't add a splash of skimmed milk to tea / coffee but just be aware that it will up your carb intake a little (but not too much) and 150ml skimmed milk contains about 50 calories so not too much either. Just be really careful and don't take this as a sign that you can have cups and cups of coffee per day with lashings of milk because you just can't. I don't see why a couple of cups a day with a splash of milk makes much difference though in the great scheme of things, and if it makes things bearable then go for it :)

Bordersgirl you are my new hero! Thankyou so much for that, can't believe I was getting carried away over a teaspoon of skimmed milk lol! Really appreciate the carbs info, now feel like my halo is back in place (pretty much lol) although having said that, will try to stick no milk at all, and maybe just a splash when I am desperate....after all, compared to how I would cheat on other diets, a teaspoon of milk is hardly the big leagues! Thankyou :)

Oh this is the worst day so far for me, craving food so badly, starving hungry and ready to throw the towel in! Have been back and forward to the fridge but so far have resisted. I was only going to have a slice of turkey ham but I know that if I eat just one thing I wont be able to stop :-( and so am having yet another coffee. This is definitely the hardest day so far, had hoped not to be hungry by now, this is day 5, but still struggling with hunger pains. And have just cooked OH and the kids a lovely dinner, was drooling over it. Aargh!

No one is going to tell you it's easy because it really isn't, and it is just mind over matter. Some people take a bit longer to get into ketosis than others but I would have thought that you would be more or less in on day 5. I don't have anyone to compare with but myself though and other people may be able to share their experiences with ketosis and hunger being supressed. I can tell you one thing though - if you're really determined you can and will resist. Focus on your first WI which is fast approaching.

Thanks borders :) I am managing so far on sheer willpower but if I can do one day, I can do another! And another.....hopefully the hunger will stop soon, but if not (OMG!) then will just have to keep going and telling myself it will be all worth it in the end :)

Maybe you should buy some ketostix to test for ketosis? Chemists (but say they're for a diabetic friend not you on a VLCD as sometimes they dont like that), Ebay and Amazon sell them. I have a pack and test if I do something different but usually the taste in my mouth gives things away. Do you have that yet? A sort of unpleasant taste in your mouth? Ketosis breath!

Have you thought about phasing your packs differently? I have a shake at 10 once I'm at work and settled in - I'm usually in a rush for the train in the morning so don't find I miss having something before I leave the house, I try to hold out for lunchtime bar until 2pm but sometimes cave at 1pm :), and then I get my next pack at about 7.30 when I get home which usually is fine for the rest of the evening. If I really need something else I have some cucumber sticks.

Will look into the ketosticks. Not noticed any signs yet :-( but I live in hope lol. I have first pack at 7.30am, soup pack at 12 and last one about 5pm, have struggled to hold out any longer, tonight for example I was actually shaking with hunger by ten to five! Thanks for advice, will see what tomorrow brings!

I'd really try to leave your first pack until later in the morning. I don't think I's last until the evening if I had my first one so early. The shaking with hunger sounds like your blood sugar levels dropping. Usually on this diet once you're in ketosis your blood sugar levels stabilise.

Oh jeez, I cant believe that I am getting carried away over a teaspoon of skimmed milk!

Ive been having skimmed milk in my tea since I started ,(lost 8 lbs in my first week 1) can't stand black tea or coffee yukkk! I spoke to rob before I started and he said skimmed milk in tea should be fine , I have only been having around 3 cups though usually I have at least 6 a day !!!!My Oh drinks lactofree milk and I looked at the carb value of that and its less than skimmed milk its something like 2.9 for 100ml semiskimmed whereas 100ml of skimmed is 5 I think ! Im having a break next week and switching to low carb for a couple of weeks ~ I had planned to do this as I will have done 4 weeks s&s and money is tight at the mo

thanks persephone, that helps :)
bordersgirl, I have tried your suggestion today...had first shake at 10.30, 2nd at 2.30, and will have my spag bol at 6 (or as long as I can last!) I think it has made some difference, but I have still been hungry! But on the positive side (about time lol) I am not tired or shaky today, just rumbling tummy. Maybe I am very slow to get into ketosis! Anyway, am determined to keep going, so will have to see....I think I can do my first weigh-in on sat morn, was going to wait as long as I could before getting on the scales (and still might try to wait) but if I am struggling tomorrow, will check weightloss on sat, hopefully will be good and will give me a boost! Thanks again :)

I think I am in ketosis!!! Woke up with more energy and dont feel starving like the last few days! Yay! Am still going to try to save weigh-in but we shall see....

I think I am in ketosis!!! Woke up with more energy and dont feel starving like the last few days! Yay! Am still going to try to save weigh-in but we shall see....

Good news, and well done for sticking it out until you got there. I know it's hard going and I don't take as long to reach ketosis as you have.

It will all be a breeze from now on ;).

All power to you if you can stay off the scales - I'm addicted to my daily WI :)

Back