My SW diary, by Bess.

That looks absolutely fine and it wasn't so difficult was it? :) But what about Hexs Bess? Can't see an A or B. I assume though that as you are having Roast Chicken there will be some spuds floating around.

If not, have some bread with your soup and get dunking!
Or have soup and a salad sarnie. Go on, be a devil!
And I'd deffo have the whiskey and soda but I would wouldn't I.

I have Alpen lights and Baby bel light cheeses Bev for my H extras, which I use as snacks, along with extra fruit during the day. Didn't weigh today - went for my first run/walk this morning with the dog, lovely except for one sore heel. Bit cross about that since the shoes were expensive but I'll wear a plaster tomorrow and hope things improve. I went for about 4 miles, we live on a hill, so the first bit was a very steep walk through woods, about a mile to the top. Then it's up and down, but not steep, so I walked for 50 paces, then ran for the same. Was a bit back achey 1/2 way so walked quickly all the way home, I really don't want to do anything silly. Took and drank 1/2 a litre of water as well.

Bess,

I understand that it's hard sometimes but you musn't get 'down' on a daily weight. They vary as you know. If however you are down because you aren't sticking to the plan, then I can completely understand as you know.

I am ok with daily weighing Gail, I think it keeps me on the straight and narrow, I'd be very inclined to think on weigh in day that I could go off plan for a bit, then make an effort for the last 1/2 of the week otherwise. The rises that I see wouldn't worry me at all if I was on SW properly, I understand that weigh fluctuates normally.

Have a think about what it is that you are finding difficult ? Is it a particular time of day or a particular food that you just keep eating ? Is it that you aren't eating enough/enough syns and then go looking for other food ?

This could be the case, in which better planning is probably the answer?

- I was just craving too much sugar or eating for the sake of it.

Exactly what I'm doing Gail.

That week using more syns than usual (15-25 per day) really helped me. I just needed that extra leeway. And now I feel back to how I was before (almost).

Maybe try thinking about some new recipes to try - that also helped me when I was getting a bit bored of eating the same things all the time. I'm sure we can all help with suggestions if you need them.

Big hugs and feel free to PM me too if you need to be more private.

Gail xx

Thankyou very much, the trouble is really all in my head. I need to plan better and avoid unsuitable food, tea and cake for instance when out. Quite difficult when friends/family(my mum and MIL) press me to join them, I'm far too easily tempted and also don't like the fuss that's often generated about why I'm not eating cake - I only discuss weight issues on here, where you all understand, in spite of everyone else's obsession about it.

Everyone has given great advice Bess! Can't add to it so just sending big hugs from Kent!:hug99:

Very welcome Alli, thankyou. :)

I'm also struggling at the minute (started with birthday cake earlier in the week and I haven't stopped eating sugar since) -

This is what happened to me really, not birthday cake, but sweets and like you I found.... It's hard to get back on track...... but it can be done, Gail and many others are proof of that. I'm going back to my no sugar diet as of today as I'm terrified that the last few days will trigger a migraine

I really hope they don't Alli, migraines are dreadful.....and need to think hard about whether I should go back on a formal diet to lose those last few lbs as I'm not getting anywhere on my own...

So today is day 1 of me being back on track (not sure which track yet but it will be in the right direction at least).

I'll make you a deal - if you promise me that you will NOT weigh yourself until WI day (Tuesday isn't it - so just one day really), I promise that I will dig out my running shoes and go for a run tomorrow night (am hyperventilating at the thought)....

:D It's a deal Alli, but I think I've got the best of it! You do such a lot of dog walking though don't you? I'd have thought you were very fit already?!

Thankyou all of you for your kind, considered replies, they are very much appreciated. Today's breakfast was a bacon omelette and a ML yog. So all good so far. :)

A couple of months ago I was feeling a bit stuck in a rut food-wise and found I was eating a lot of the more "junk"-y of SW food all the time- egg and SW chips, quorn burgers and sw chips etc, also I was missing desserts and pretty bored of eating the same stuff so I got a copy of the sw magazine, did a plan for the week where every meal including my packed lunches and HEAs and Bs were all planned out rigidly plus put in a pud for every single day of the week but leaving myself a good 7 or so syns for spontaneous stuff. My shopping list was really carefully planned out too- I put down exactly the amounts of things I needed and everything to save money on my shop. It was a really great week and I am going to do that every day during my 6 week holiday! My bf absolutely loved it too!!

This is just what I should do and will try to Jules, I must also take more food with me when I'm out working, it's so easy to grab the wrong things when I'm starving and the one thing I have learned from SW is not to let myself get hungry. Better planning, that's the thing. Thankyou Jules. :) x

NOOOO you weren't supposed to agree to it Bess!! Ah well - better get those shoes out now then. Might do the run tonight to get it out of the way and I might just recover in time for Tuesday night Zumba.

Well done on your run!! Did you stretch afterwards? If not, expect to be a little stiff in the morning ;)

Re dog walking - I do go out a couple of hours per day but as the dogs are off lead nearly all of it I don't tend to walk very fast. Not fast enough to be fit anyway - still it all counts. I wore my pedometer on Friday just to see how much I walked and I did 15000 steps despite the fact that I spent much of the day in an office and didn't take the dogs out in the evening. Not bad really :)

Stretch? No not particularly, I walked home though, does that count? What kind of stretching do you mean? And why?

So, you didn't think I'd take you up on it then? I'll let you off, it's not as though you promised or anything! Oh, I just checked back and you did! Enjoy your run Alli!! :D x

A better day, thanks I feel due to the support from you all on here.

Lunch was soup, I made vegetable and prawn, it was yummy. Supper the roast chicken. I had a tiny piece of stuffing and 2 glasses of rose wine, so that's it for today. Not ideal, but more controlled again thank goodness, well thank you all actually. :)

Back to work tomorrow and will plan better for then.

Glad to hear you've had a better day. Keep at it!

I sort of fell of the wagon tonight - had to say goodbye to clients fairly late so went for a Chinese on the way home. I adore Chinese food but definitely not SW friendly. So not too hopeful for my WI tomorrow.

We all have sh1t days! You just have to ride through them as best you can!

Last edited:
Well done Bess, you had a good day. That's all you need. One good day. Now tomorrow is a new day. All you need is one more good day.

Big hugs. You can do this :)

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Gail and Bev.

Went for my second run/walk which was much more walk as I am very stiff. I find this surprising, we all went for a walk yesterday evening and I'm normally pretty active, but I suppose I must have been using different muscles? The fronts of my thighs are the worst. Anyway I'll carry on but walk more and run less until I feel better.

Meals planned for today, eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast. Salad for lunch and Shepherd's Pie for supper, which I made and froze a month ago. Good snacks in between. Fingers crossed for a second good day. :)

Well done on going running again! I'm ashamed to admit that I got swayed by a friend waving a bottle of rosé under my nose :eek:- she was in need of a girly chat (i.e. venting about OH and kids :D) and I could hardly let down a friend in need ;). I have got my running shoes and sports bra out and laid out on the bed ready for tonight though...

The stretching is really important because running is quite hard impact on the leg muscles and they contract when running and so you need to stretch them back into shape. Here's a link with some basic stretches:

The Most Important Running Stretches

Right - I'm off to plan my eating as I've been rubbish lately and have to get myself back on track!! Have a great day! :)

Thanks Alli, I'll check out the stretches, I was pretty stiff this morning, getting better now though. :)

OK, written them all down, good job we have no neighbours! Will do them tomorrow, thankyou.

Last edited:
Well done on your running Bess! It's good you're feeling a bit stiff you've obviously used a few new muscles! Also your food sounds yum.

Oh and thanks for those links, defo gonna check those out, I always get sore butt muscles when I run!! X

Bess, you're doing brilliantly!

On plan AND exercising! You can't get any better than that so well done! Xx

Dawn, you are up very late/or early?!!
Thankyou for your encouragement, all of you. It really does make a difference, makes me feel better, more positive and when I feel tempted I remember all your kindess to me and faith in me and refrain!

Well, weigh in today and it's 13.11. Not good, but better then the 13.12 I saw late last week and more to the point I feel so much better being back on track, so I'll plod on (literally - I'm just going out running/walking!) and hope those scales go down next week. :D

Last edited:
Well done Bess,

If you feel on track, the weight will come off eventually. It's not easy bringing yourself back to this so be proud :)

Big hugs.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

Bess - 1 lb off is great!!! It's 1.5 more than I achieved this week!

Being back on track and in control is what it is all about. And as Gail said it is sometimes bl**dy hard to achieve.

So, get those trainers on, get out there walking/running and you will do it.

I'm trying to find a mantra for you to say but the only one that keeps springing to mind is :- I MUST, I MUST IMPROVE MY BUST
So not that relevant really - or maybe it is?
Anyway - you get the gist. Hopefully if you say it, it might make you grin and remember that we're all here to help you whenever you need it.
Alternatively we could offer the :asskick: if that will help! LOL

Hi Bess,

How did you get on today ? Thinking of you.

Gail x

Hi Bess,

How did you get on today ? Thinking of you.

Gail x

Hello Gail, you're a late bird! Good today thankyou, but have been out to dinner with a group of friends at another one's house tonight. I ate 'normally', good food though, but it did include wine and pudding. Still feel in control which I think is the main thing just now. Whilst working I found a co-op today which had a really good salad bar, I chose all the good stuff, filled a small box for £1.49! Brilliant! Shall do the same each day while I am working near there.

Raining now, looks as though it may be my first wet run tomorrow! I ran for longer this morning and found it easier, did the stretching exercises afterwards too, wish that blister would heal though, my shoes aren't very comfortable still.........

Many thanks for all your support. :)

Raining now, looks as though it may be my first wet run tomorrow! I ran for longer this morning and found it easier, did the stretching exercises afterwards too, wish that blister would heal though, my shoes aren't very comfortable still.........
Bess - you really have done sooooo well with the runs.

Have you tried the gell blister plasters - I think they're by Scholl. I've never tried them, but a friend had a serious hole in her heel from a new pair of shoes and she said they worked like a dream.

I put a plaster on this morning and a pair of my 1000 mile walking socks which was ok. Then I took the plaster off when I came back and wore backless shoes (mules?) I just wish it would heal and the running shoes would be comfortable. I can't feel anything in the shoe that should make it rub....I'll see how it goes on. Pity, one foot feels fine and they were expensive shoes......

Do you have different sized feet? I do, and whenever I buy a new pair of shoes no matter how comfy the right one is, I always end up with a blister on my bigger left foot - usually both heel and big toe.

Now I'm sure some of the medical staff around here will tell me you shouldn't do this, but when I did ballet and got big blisters and raw skin on my toes I used to clean them with surgical spirits. Stings like hell but it cleans the wound and it did seem to heal faster.

Back