My SWC isn't what you'd call 'slim' - do you think this matters?

it just goes to show that sw arent as strict on there laeders as ww as i know that if a ww leader goes 1 pound over her allowed 5 she /he is not allowed to take class until there next offocal wi which i think happens once a month how unfair is that ?

I had this conversation this other day... when a member was trying to decide whether to go to a group for more convience or a more inspriational SWC.
My SWC is doing the plan.. (I think) she will weigh herself in at the beginning of the class before everyone else and only mention to the (shop and WI team) if she has actually lost anything significant other than that she won't mention it. She provides examples of what she does and what she used to be liked but I don't think that helps us as members to see that she is going through the same thing.

I think it is important as a SWC to either know by being in the situation and going through it with everyone else or by having done it. Knowing that some weeks you just dont want to do that plan and other weeks you feel really fat...and if you have a SWC as mentioned early that has only lost pregnancy weight I don't believe they can have a true understanding of the feelings and emotions of a person that has lived the experience of being overweight for their life or many years.
*rant over* lol x x

it just goes to show that sw arent as strict on there laeders as ww as i know that if a ww leader goes 1 pound over her allowed 5 she /he is not allowed to take class until there next offocal wi which i think happens once a month how unfair is that ?

this certainly wasn't the case with my ww leader!!

Found this really interesting to read as I have thought about the possibility of becoming a consultant when I get to where I want to be....but that is possibly at the top end of the scale. Hmmm interesting to see what people may think if I did do it and I wasn't 'slim' in their eyes. As I'm typing this though I'm thinking isn't it all about getting to a weight where we are happy? Don't we as members set our targets? Shouldn't the consultants be where they are happy?
But then of course if they aren't happy then this would show and they wouldn't be inspirational?!?
Goodness me...my brain hurts from all this thinking! :p

I have a feeling that if you want to join up as a 'new' consultant, you now have to be at target, or at least very close to it.

My very first consultant (many years ago) was fabulous, really inspirational and everyone liked her. However, a few years on and she is now a rather 'large' lady. She did start coming to my class to loose weight for a while.

I did hear that she applied to become a consultant again and was rejected because of her weight. I also 'hear' that our area is severely lacking in consultants and are always on a recruitment drive, so I was very surprised they didn't jump at the chance to take her back.

I read in my club 10 letter that to become a consultant you need to be within 2 stone of your upper healthy weight range which is probably somewhere I would be happy to be but others aren't and would posibly be joining group at this weight so could possibly feel that the consultant wouldn't be of help to them? Or would this only be the case if the consultant was a lot heavier?

Im not sure if anyone has already mentioned this or not because the thread is wayyyyyyy long to read lol, but.... ive heard a WW consultant has to stay below a certain weight if not they loose their job!!

Looking at it from another point of view - if a consultant puts on weight, what is SW going to do? Sack her? Suspend her? Then what happens to the class?

I know from friends who are SW consultants that it is hard enough to get cover for holidays and emergencies - almost impossible to get someone to take over a class semi-permanently.

I don't think it would make good business sense to get rid of a consultant who is running a successful class and run the risk of losing that class and its paying customers.

On that note, i think that if a C puts on weight they have to be attending classes themselves, unless of course it is planned wieght gain and not just letting go.

I dont think it would be right to sack or suspend them!!

In November 2007 there were reports in newspapers that a SW consultant had taken SW to an employment tribunal because she had been sacked for being too old and too fat. Actually she was a team leader and there were other issues.

She lost her case - you can read an article about it here:
Slimming World - Telegraph

SW's statment was interesting:

"The company stated that it chooses all staff for their compassion and ability to help others and does not practice discrimination of any kind."

The Consultants for SW are self-employed and have made a financial commitment to become a C (between £500/£1000). WW leaders don't have to 'buy' the position as far as I was told, so maybe that's why WW are able to enforce stricter weights for leaders?!?

Back