My Weight Loss Journey

Hi Mel,
On one of your menu's you mention a chickpea and spinch curry, is this easy to make also a chickpea dip, I made one using a tin of sundar chickpea dalh, and whizzed it up but some one told me i had to syn it because i pureed it ?

hehehe my wii fit always makes me older than i am!
i must admit i havent used it for ages now......i bought 'your shape' and am addicted to that for my exercise!

It really gives you a good workout. My son is definately much better than me though...the boxing really kills my arms and OH is hooked on the golf and tennis. Hopefully my age will come down soon to my original age or younger :) Have to check out what Your Shape is about.

Hi Mel,
On one of your menu's you mention a chickpea and spinch curry, is this easy to make also a chickpea dip, I made one using a tin of sundar chickpea dalh, and whizzed it up but some one told me i had to syn it because i pureed it ?

For the ChickPea Dip I was following the recipe for the falafels (minus the baking powder or soda), but also found this one that looks delicious and similar to what I make:

Ingredients- Serves 4

• 120 g canned black beans, drained
  • 120 g canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
  • 15 ml fresh lemon juice
  • 15 ml plain nonfat yogurt
  • 15 ml water
  • 1/2 clove garlic, roughly chopped
  • 2 g curry powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
It also says to add 8 ml of oil (but you would have to syn it, but I don't use oil in mine)
Directions

Place black beans, garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon juice, yogurt, water, and garlic into the bowl of a blender. Season with curry powder, salt, and pepper. Cover and puree until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This is great on Toast or Ryvitas. I don't know about whether you should officially syn it or not, but I never have and it hasn't affected my losses.

For the Chickpea and Spinach Curry I normally make the curry base, fry 1 chopped onion in fry light until golden, then add 2 small tomatoes and fresh garlic and ginger and then add all of the spices (cumin, coriander, chilli powder, tumeric, salt and pepper to taste) and fry for about 2-3 minutes until all the tomatoe turns into a sauce (you may have to add some water if it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan). Then add the canned chickpeas and fresh spinach and cover until cooked. At the end I add some fresh coriander, .5 tsp garam masala and sometimes I add 1 tbsp of very low fat natural yogurt.

Another 100% day yesterday. Today has been really busy as we had some friends over and expecting another family later tonight, but so far have still stuck to plan. What I've resisted so far: Keema with Chappatis, Pakore (everyone kept saying to eat, but didn't have 1 taste)- need that loss on Monday's WI!!!

Green Day today:
Breakfast: 2 large conference pears, 42g All Bran (HEB) with 220ml skimmed milk (HEA)
Lunch: Fried Mushrooms with AH Spice Sensation Cous Cous (.5 syn)
Snack 1: 1 Alpen Light (.5HEB) with Green Lemon Tea
Snack 2: 1 Alpen Light (.5HEB) with Activia FF yogurt, pack of Quavers (4 syns)
Dinner: Boiled Basmalti Rice with Moong Daal Curry with Spinach (made this for the friends coming over tonight, but mine is without oil) and Salad
Snack: Edit: Mini Twister (2 syns)

Water:1.5litres
Exercise: None

Last edited:
Hi Meli, your menus look delicious!

Can I ask what Skinny Cow HC is? Hot choc powder?

Oh, and where do you do Zumba online? I was going to classes but have had to stop and wont be able to start again for another few weeks - would love to be able to do it at home!

Hi Meli, your menus look delicious!

Can I ask what Skinny Cow HC is? Hot choc powder?

Thanks about your menu comment, but I don't really experiment as much as I'd like to and normally stick to the same ingredients. Need to make use of the SW Cookbooks and the recipes forum here to try new things.

The Hot Chocolate mix is the one below and I mix it with a Total 0% yogurt and it turns out a bit like a mousse (obviously not as nice, but still does the trick and fills me up) 2 syns per sachet (think they are 5 for £1 in Asda):
Skinny_Cow_Sachet_10g.jpg

Image for illustration purposes only Skinny Cow Hot Chocolate Sachet 10g

Oh, and where do you do Zumba online? I was going to classes but have had to stop and wont be able to start again for another few weeks - would love to be able to do it at home!

I posted some links here in my food diary to some I found on YouTube, but unfortunately they have been removed now. Good thing I downloaded them before they got removed, but if you do a search on YouTube for Zumba Cardio or Zumba Cardio Party you may still find some you can do from home?
I love Zumba :)

My friends stayed the night, but have still stuck to plan- hooray!
Getting some free size 12-14 clothes from someone on Freecycle group (don't see a point buying new clothes now, will save the money for when I get to target), so can't wait to have some new things in my wardrobe (not sure if they will all fit me though, but something to aim towards otherwise).
WI day tomorrow- better have a loss as I've tried my best this week!

Another Green Day today:
Breakfast (at 12:30pm- hit the car boot for some accessories with my friend thus the late timing)- 42g All Bran cereal (HEB)with 200ml skimmed milk(HEA)
Lunch: Egg, baked beans and SW chips
Snack: 2 clementines, Activia FF yogurt
Dinner: Prawn (HEB) Stir Fry Veg with SuperNoodles Fat Free (without the spice sachet) (1/2pack)
Snack: Mini Twister (2syns), 1 Alpen Light (3 syns)

Water: 1.0 litres
Exercise: 20 mins exercise bike

Last edited:
WI day today- really hope I've lost something as I've stuck to plan all week, but we'll see.
Kept half the clothes I got from freecycle (giving the others to charity) and glad to see I fit some of the size 12 tops (even if they are the stretchy material type). The size 12 skirts and trousers can go up to my waist, but can't zip them up yet- something to aim for (before my holiday to Spain in August).

Fancy a red day, but really want to try the canelloni's today after WI, so sticking to Green today.

Breakfast- Onken Vanilla Yogurt with Strawberries

Lunch- Minestrone with 1 wholemeal toast (.5HEB)

Snack- 1 Alpen Light (.5HEB)

Dinner (after WI)- Cannelloni (couldn't find ricotta, so making it with cottage cheese/quark- thanks to HoneyOc and Nut Brown Hair for the recipe):
Blanche some spinach (around 120g) in boiling water, squeeze well and chop fine. Mix 60g cottage cheese and 60g quark together and then add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Set aside.
Meanwhile make the tomato sauce by sautéing some onions and garlic in oil spray. Add some dried chillies, 1 tins of plum tomatoes, salt, pepper & a touch of sweetner. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Pour the tomato sauce in an oven dish, stuff cannelloni tubes with the quark/cottage cheese & spinach mixture and arrange on the tomato sauce (should take 8 tubes). Grate 20g cheddar and mix about 1/3 with a 250g tub of quark. Add an egg and season, mix well. Pour over the cannelloni and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Bake for about 40 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. (This recipe is only for 2 Servings).

Snack- 2 Mini Twisters (4 syns)

Not sure what other HEB to use today...to be updated later

Water:1.0 litre
Exercise: Walking 20 mins

Last edited:
Good luck with your WI today, onwards and downwards :8855:

WI results- lost 4.5lbs and got my 4 stone sticker :clap:. My C wants me to bring some before/after pics to enter me in some competition, but still not feeling as though I've lost that much (especially after seeing a pic a friend put on Facebook of me from a BBQ about a week ago). Despite going from a size 22 to a size 14, still doesn't look like it from the pictures, so feeling a bit down today, but still determined to have a good week and push myself that little bit closer to my target.

Last night was feeling lazy after WI to make the cannelloni, so actually had a red day and had some crabsticks with 6 Ryvita WG CrackerBread and some lamb strips.

Sticking to Green today:

Breakfast: 2 pears
Snack: 42g All Bran (HEB) + 220 ml Skimmed Milk (HEA)
Snack: Edited: 2 clementines
Lunch: Edited: Baked Beans with Fried Mushrooms and a Fried Egg with 1 Warburton wholemeal toast (.5HEB)
Snack: Mini Twister (2 syns) Strawberries and 1 small mango
Dinner: Cannelloni (only had 3 and was full- used up another HEA) with side salad with Ceasar dressing (1 syn)
Snack: Edit: 1 Alpen Light Bar (.5HEB) with Green Lemon Tea

Water: 1.5litres
Exercise: Arm Exercises and Situps

Last edited:
Hey Meli, just saw this post! I'm sure that 4 stone is very very noticable on you!! I'm exactly the same! People are commenting and complimenting me all the time but I can't really see it like others can! I still think I'm big (well I do have 24lb to go and I'm still a 14-16!) so I won't rest until I get there!! But all I can say to you is concentrate on all the comments people make because they're the ones who see you for what you really look like- we have distorted crazy views about ourselves!!XXXX

Thanks FunCurls I know you're right. It's funny because the picture that made me come to SW was actually taken in the same house! Well hope at the next party (in another 3-4 months) I'll be happier with how I look.

Wanted to post the pics of my dinner tonight as it was so delicious!

Attachments

• cannelloni1.jpg
    cannelloni1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 26
  • cannelloni2.jpg
    cannelloni2.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 33
Thanks LoopeyLou the cannelloni was so nice...had it again for lunch today and tasted even better!

100% day yesterday :)
Such a busy day today that I had to skip breakfast and have a headache already. Won't do that again!

Breakfast- none (busy all morning - doctor with kids, playgroup, school fair)
Lunch- Leftover Cannelloni (HEA)- definately making this again!
Snack- Activia FF yogurt and 2 Alpen Lights (HEB)
Dinner- Fried Egg, Baked Beans and SW Chips
Snack- strawberries and 2 Mini Twisters (4 syns)

Not sure if I will be able to use my other HEB today?

Water: 1.5 litres
Exercise: None

Actually I did have them, but my 2 little ones got hungry at the Dr's office and they had both of them! Have to keep a full box in my car next time!

Stuck to plan yesterday, but today I'm going out with a friend for lunch, so hope I can choose some healthy options.
No idea what day I'm following yet as it depends what's on the menu where we are going, so having a neutral morning.

Breakfast: 2 pears and 42g All Bran (HEB)with 220ml milk (HEA)
Lunch: Lunch at Table Table (starters- fried stuff)
Snack:Activia FF yogurt and strawberries
Dinner: Chicken Ceasar Salad
Snack: Total 0% yogurt with SC Hot Choc (2 syns)

Water: 1.5 litres
Exercise: Arm exercises (Zumba class still full....really missing it)

Last edited:
Back