NannyDoreen & Upndown's daily diaries

Well a busy day - so this is the first chance I've had to post! Strange food combinations cos I was eating on the hoof but on plan! Higher syns than I would have liked. See what u think!

RED DAY

B: banana, rasps, sweetened quark
L: bread HEB reduced fat cheese HEA, lettuce, cucumber, raw sugar snap peas, pineapple
L: Scotch egg (with 2 SW free sausages which were tasty) lettuce, toms, cucumber, chilli sauce 2 syns :( shd have checked b4 eating) dessert - SW choc brownies 3.5 syns with 5g flaked almonds 3.5, 1 dried apricot 0.5 syns?, sweetened quark, options - half a sachet - 1 syn

Snack: apple, Chewy Delight HEB

Total syns: 10.5 syns

Drinks: 1 coffee ss milk part HEA, fruit tea, water

Ecercise: 1 hour walk

Last edited:
Well a busy day - so this is the first chance I've had to post! Strange food combinations cos I was eating on the hoof but on plan! Higher syns than I would have liked. See what u think!

RED DAY

B: banana, rasps, sweetened quark
L: bread HEB reduced fat cheese HEA, lettuce, cucumber, raw sugar snap peas, pineapple
L: Scotch egg (with 2 SW free sausages which were tasty) lettuce, toms, cucumber, chilli sauce 2 syns :( shd have checked b4 eating) dessert - SW choc brownies 3.5 syns with 5g flaked almonds 3.5, 1 dried apricot 0.5 syns?, sweetened quark, options - half a sachet - 1 syn

Snack: apple, Chewy Delight HEB

Total syns: 10.5 syns

Drinks: 1 coffee ss milk part HEA, fruit tea, water

Ecercise: 1 hour walk

Brekkie sounds lovely. In fact it all does.
I want to try those sausages - when Iceland get them in. Mind you 6 for £3 is not really cheap, but good no syns.
10.1/2 syns is really fine as long as your portion sizes are what they should be . I know you have a bit of trouble on that score the same as I do.

I am going back to weighing spuds and rice. I had a bag of rice for convenience at Niks - there is quite a lot, too much really. Just had a look at the box and it says 125g per bag. I don`t need that much so when I do loose rice I will keep it to around 60g. I reckon that bag was enough for two. Same with pasta I usually go over the top, not sure how much is a normal portion to weigh dry.

I put on 1.1/2 lbs today. :cry: The only good thing - ?? -- is I am 5lbs down on the year incl 1/2lb down for Feb.

I must organise myself at Haverhill. Thought I could make out a sheet to put on their fridge & write whatever I eat including pinching chips etc off the children. .Or even 1\2 biscuit.

Any ideas please let me know. I was doing well while not up there and I know I will be going back.

Brekkie sounds lovely. In fact it all does.
I want to try those sausages - when Iceland get them in. Mind you 6 for £3 is not really cheap, but good no syns.
10.1/2 syns is really fine as long as your portion sizes are what they should be . I know you have a bit of trouble on that score the same as I do.

I am going back to weighing spuds and rice. I had a bag of rice for convenience at Niks - there is quite a lot, too much really. Just had a look at the box and it says 125g per bag. I don`t need that much so when I do loose rice I will keep it to around 60g. I reckon that bag was enough for two. Same with pasta I usually go over the top, not sure how much is a normal portion to weigh dry.

I put on 1.1/2 lbs today. :cry: The only good thing - ?? -- is I am 5lbs down on the year incl 1/2lb down for Feb.

I must organise myself at Haverhill. Thought I could make out a sheet to put on their fridge & write whatever I eat including pinching chips etc off the children. .Or even 1\2 biscuit.

Any ideas please let me know. I was doing well while not up there and I know I will be going back.

Sorry about the gain but not too bad - hopefully u cd get that off next week! As u say u've lost 5 over the year - I've only lost 0.25lbs now - cos of London gain! Well I hope to get good losses now I'm at class - well at the eginning anyway!!

Good idea to weigh potatoes - not sure about pasta portions tho' but there wasn't much in the Sw meal altho the rest was generous. Did u get vouchers for the meals at class? I've heard that soon Iceland will be selling them at 2 for £5 - so a better price.

Yes not sure I'll be buying SW sausages again at that price - just wanted to try them - didn't realise there were inky 6 in the pack!

Yes portion size is something we both need to sort out portion sizes.

Good idea to have a sheet of the fridge - it's so easy to forget about nibbles etc but they do count up don't they! how about having a notebook to take there with ideas for easy meals and snacks/treats. If u cook for the children perhaps u could have ideas for meals u cd all eat - it's tiring enough without making mkre work! I know how it is with Poppy and Owen!! xx

Eating same as the children is really not as option for me. Apart from pasta a lot of their food is junk food. Not a lot of veg. Sweetcorn or cauli for Faye and carrot sticks for Flynn. Not too often mind you as then they get fed up with them and don`t like them anymore,. Really bad eating habit I am afraid.

I saw at class today that there were 6 in the pack of sausages. As I cannot get Tesco h/l and won`t buy ww as more expensive, I will continue to buy BGTY from Sainsbury 2 or 3 packs at a time and separately freeze them.

I have this pm put chicken chasseur in the oven. Will be 3 portions for 2 syns each. Will freeze them ready towards my next visit and take rice with me. I am planning to do some Chilli and some bolognese mince also to go with rice or pasta also for the freezer. Off course I have my BNS/carrot soup on at the moment tho` I don`t freeze that but can make it while in Haverhill.

The other thing I have too many of is bananas and grapes. I will sit and eat a box of grapes - a no no for diabetics - and if I buy 2, 3 or even 4 bananas I have eaten them before bed. Pineapple is a favourite but not speed either.

I have also learnt that I like apples if they are peeled. Won`t eat more than 1 or 2 of those. Love pears they are speed. Tangerines etc can be a bit sugary/sweet.

I said to one of the girls this morning about it, she is diabetic too, she said she makes the mini quiches - sort of - just egg, mushroom, maybe a little ham and frozen onion. She snacks on thosr instead of too much fruit. Will try that tomorrow.

Anyway the gain - which I knew was coming - has again given me food for thought. Unfortunately the kind you cannot eat. I will do a menu when going on put it on the fridge with the menu the kids have done. If I need any shopping for my food, Flynn will do me a shopping list as he has done for his Mum. May not be spelt quite right all the time but he loves doing it.
I do love those grand children of mine,. :bliss:

Hope you day goes good today Linda. I wonder how your twinny is getting on. Such a worry for her.

Friday 27th February

hexa milk. hexb 2 bread

B: 2 coffee at class
L: 2 eggs, tomato & mushrooms. 2 toast
D: 3 BGTY sausages broccoli, carrot, bns & parsnip chips. 150g potato made into chips.
1\4 jelly (1/2 syn) with fruit.

2 Pear, 2 plums.

Lunch 12.45
Dinner 6pm
Fruit during the evening

Doreen - nothing else.

Hi Nanny, sorry you had a gain but Im sure you can keep going down as youve done great so far and will continue to do so. Big hugs. X

Friday 27th February

hexa milk. hexb 2 bread

B: 2 coffee at class
L: 2 eggs, tomato & mushrooms. 2 toast
D: 3 BGTY sausages broccoli, carrot, bns & parsnip chips. 150g potato made into chips.
1\4 jelly (1/2 syn) with fruit.

2 Pear, 2 plums.

Lunch 12.45
Dinner 6pm
Fruit during the evening

Doreen - nothing else.

Great day Doreen - I was thinking too that 5lbs loss this year is 500% more than last year and we're only at the end of Feb - so 2015 looks like being your year!!xx

Eating same as the children is really not as option for me. Apart from pasta a lot of their food is junk food. Not a lot of veg. Sweetcorn or cauli for Faye and carrot sticks for Flynn. Not too often mind you as then they get fed up with them and don`t like them anymore,. Really bad eating habit I am afraid.

I saw at class today that there were 6 in the pack of sausages. As I cannot get Tesco h/l and won`t buy ww as more expensive, I will continue to buy BGTY from Sainsbury 2 or 3 packs at a time and separately freeze them.

I have this pm put chicken chasseur in the oven. Will be 3 portions for 2 syns each. Will freeze them ready towards my next visit and take rice with me. I am planning to do some Chilli and some bolognese mince also to go with rice or pasta also for the freezer. Off course I have my BNS/carrot soup on at the moment tho` I don`t freeze that but can make it while in Haverhill.

The other thing I have too many of is bananas and grapes. I will sit and eat a box of grapes - a no no for diabetics - and if I buy 2, 3 or even 4 bananas I have eaten them before bed. Pineapple is a favourite but not speed either.

I have also learnt that I like apples if they are peeled. Won`t eat more than 1 or 2 of those. Love pears they are speed. Tangerines etc can be a bit sugary/sweet.

I said to one of the girls this morning about it, she is diabetic too, she said she makes the mini quiches - sort of - just egg, mushroom, maybe a little ham and frozen onion. She snacks on thosr instead of too much fruit. Will try that tomorrow.

Anyway the gain - which I knew was coming - has again given me food for thought. Unfortunately the kind you cannot eat. I will do a menu when going on put it on the fridge with the menu the kids have done. If I need any shopping for my food, Flynn will do me a shopping list as he has done for his Mum. May not be spelt quite right all the time but he loves doing it.
I do love those grand children of mine,. :bliss:

Hope you day goes good today Linda. I wonder how your twinny is getting on. Such a worry for her.

Lots of good stuff there Doreen - I think we're both thinking deep about SW now - desperation stakes (but not the kind we eat lol!!) Seems like we both need to go thro this process - which cd be never ending mind!

Yes I'm the same with grapes or in fact most fruits and can do a lot of damage to anything with sugar in as you know!! I like Linda's way of eating apples - slicing them thinly and taking time to eat them - but I always remember after I've eaten one!

Well if you can't cook/eat with/for the children - your menus will be side by side on the fridge door and at least Flynn can sort ur shopping list out - hoo cairs abowt spellin eny-weigh he-he!!

I have a busy day 2moro - Poppy is performing in a Welsh music/cultural competition 2moro - in 2 choir competitions and a recitation on at 9.00, 3.00 and 3.45 - then as soon as that's finished hubby and I are driving down to South Wales (4 hour drive) to stay with son, dil and Owen - can't remember if I said I'm staying there to help with childcare - so it'll be a busy day and I'm wondering what to do for food too! So probably won't be able to post 2moro and poss Sunday but I'll be thinking of you! Normal (well as normal as my posts get - shd be resumed on Monday.

You have your plans sorted so hope they work out for you - and mine when I decide on them ;) xx

Here's my food - not too bad as I was busy - wanted to clean the house through b4 going away (strange habit I've developed - sounds like I'm obsessive :rolleyes: at least I got some body magic in!

brunch: bacon, lettuce, cucumber, cherry toms, ff fromage frais with half a sachet of options 1 syns, SW brownies 1.5 syns, vanilla extract, defrosted berries, tsp syrup 1.25 (I think!)
dinner: SW chilli & rice, SW brownie dessert as for brunch - 3.75 syns
snacks: hi fi bar HEB, 2 bananas (need to eat more speed fruit!)

Drinks: 2 coffees with ss milk part HEA, fruit teas, water

TOTAL SYNS: 7.5 - need to check the syns for syrup!

EDIT: Just checked syns for syrup - 2 syns for a tbsp. - so will keep to 1.25 for a heaped tsp - think there are 3 tsps. in tbsp. aren't there? Please let me know if I'm wrong!xx

Yes there are 3 tsps (5ml) in a tbspn (15ml). Good for you checking the syns too.
Haven`t had an apple yet but will try to remember to thinly slice it.

:)I love your spelling :) and the food sounds delicious. I would love a brownie.

Poppy sounds like a busy young lady Just like our Faye. Very nice for the kids to do this sort of thing. Will think of her and you watching. It is so lovely to be able to do that.
Childcare and being busy, hey I know a bit about that.

That 500% weight loss over last year sounds really good. Thanks for that.

I have put a list of speed fruit on my phone so I have a better idea of what I should be buying. I have a melon cut up in the fridge getting cold for tomorrow. I usually get the Galia one, not so keen on the others.

I think you are right about us thinking deeply about SW. I want that 1.1/2 off next week.

Hey, if I only lost 1/2lb Feb challenge and get a good loss next week does that count for a good loss for first week in March or would I be counting it twice. If a quarterly challenge it would automatically adjust, but not on a monthly one when we get a gain. I know what I mean, do you know what I mean?

Yes there are 3 tsps (5ml) in a tbspn (15ml). Good for you checking the syns too.
Haven`t had an apple yet but will try to remember to thinly slice it.

:)I love your spelling :) and the food sounds delicious. I would love a brownie.

Poppy sounds like a busy young lady Just like our Faye. Very nice for the kids to do this sort of thing. Will think of her and you watching. It is so lovely to be able to do that.
Childcare and being busy, hey I know a bit about that.

That 500% weight loss over last year sounds really good. Thanks for that.

I have put a list of speed fruit on my phone so I have a better idea of what I should be buying. I have a melon cut up in the fridge getting cold for tomorrow. I usually get the Galia one, not so keen on the others.

I think you are right about us thinking deeply about SW. I want that 1.1/2 off next week.

Hey, if I only lost 1/2lb Feb challenge and get a good loss next week does that count for a good loss for first week in March or would I be counting it twice. If a quarterly challenge it would automatically adjust, but not on a monthly one when we get a gain. I know what I mean, do you know what I mean?

the brownies are really good for such low syns - but better with other stuff than on their own - like fruit, yogurty type things and the syrup drizzled on top is sooooo good esp for the syns and it includes speed!! I keep promising to post recipes but haven't yet - but I will as soon as I can perhaps I'll have a chance when Owen is at nursery school in the mornings ;)

Yes Faye and Poppy are busy and lovely to watch aren't they? Good idea to put speed on ur phone!

Yes I know what u mean - I think the challenge final result will be the total amount we have lost over the year - so don't think it counts if we gain them lose it again - sorry - I would be the world's weight loss champion of champions if it worked the other way!xxx

Hello, all. Just been catching up on some of your news. Glad you're back home, Doreen so you can rest up a bit. Sorry to hear about the gain but you seem so organised, I'm sure it'll soon come off again. You're still doing incredibly well.

Hope you enjoy the singing competition, Linda and hope all goes well with it too. Every time I think of you, living in Wales, it makes me feel very envious! Just love Wales! It's so beautiful and the last holiday I had with my parents before they were killed, when I was 14, was in North Wales, so it always makes me feel slightly nostalgic but connected to them. Sorry, not meaning to sound morbid, or anything, mentioning that but it's such a special place to me. Anyway, have fun and enjoy! :)

I hope you all have a good weekend, whatever you are doing. For me, it'll mainly be just housework, I'm afraid but, at least, it's two days off work, with not such early mornings so that's good! :) xx

Hello, all. Just been catching up on some of your news. Glad you're back home, Doreen so you can rest up a bit. Sorry to hear about the gain but you seem so organised, I'm sure it'll soon come off again. You're still doing incredibly well.

Hope you enjoy the singing competition, Linda and hope all goes well with it too. Every time I think of you, living in Wales, it makes me feel very envious! Just love Wales! It's so beautiful and the last holiday I had with my parents before they were killed, when I was 14, was in North Wales, so it always makes me feel slightly nostalgic but connected to them. Sorry, not meaning to sound morbid, or anything, mentioning that but it's such a special place to me. Anyway, have fun and enjoy! :)

I hope you all have a good weekend, whatever you are doing. For me, it'll mainly be just housework, I'm afraid but, at least, it's two days off work, with not such early mornings so that's good! :) xx

That is so awful about your parents. We do have these special places or moments that remind us of them don`t we. . I still talk to my Mum a lot when things are happening in the family.

I love being home Kathy. I used to hate it for years. My Nik & Davina did me a big favour when they moved even though I did not realise it at the time.

My plan is to get that gain off and some more. Feeling very good about it at the moment. I didn`t realise how much easier it is at home than when at Haverhill until I had that time home in January. Even had a text from consultant to make sure I was ok. How nice of her.

Aw, that was really nice of her! At least, as you say, you'll be much better prepared next time you're there. I think you'll manage to lose that gained weight quite easily really, as you definitely seem to have your head in the right place and are doing so well. Just glad you can relax for a while now.

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who 'speaks' to their parents, once they're not around! Thought I was just being a weirdo!! :D The strange thing about it is, as I had a bad head injury in the car, it totally wiped all my memories of those 14 years with them out so, when I look at a photo of them, I obviously know they are my Mum and Dad, but I don't know them?! It's a really strange feeling. And, when I was reminiscing about Linda living in Wales and knowing I went there on that last holiday together with my parents and two brothers, it reminded me of something. Several years ago now, my partner, Pete and I were driving near Portmadoc, when I suddenly wanted to go a certain way. We followed a few different roads and, as we were approaching a long, leafy driveway, I said to him that I knew for certain (even though I couldn't remember it) that we had stayed up that driveway and it had been a caravan site. We turned up the driveway and it was like stepping back in time! I knew every twist and turn of it, even down to when it opened out at the top, which direction our caravan had been in! This had happened once before, in Scarborough, down two different streets, where I seemed to recognise two different guest houses. I just knew I had to go down these streets! I pointed out one B+B to Pete and said I just knew it had been called Sea Breeze and, bless him, he knocked on the door and the owner said it had been called Sea Breeze, back in the 70's and he took us to the dining room, where there were some old photos of the B+B in the 70's. Unfortunately, they didn't bring back any memories. The other Scarborough guest house I stopped outside and 'just knew' I'd stayed there, as a child, was called The Lyddon and, amazingly, it still had the same name!! A few weeks later, my younger brother gave me a box with lots of our childhood photos in and, incredibly, my weird feelings were confirmed when, right at the very bottom of the box, under all the photos, was a picture and a receipt of The Lyddon Hotel, Scarborough!! So, so strange but comforting at the same time. :)

Sorry to rattle on so much but I feel I can say things quite openly on here - to my little Mini's family. :) I'm glad you find comfort talking to your Mum too, Doreen. xx

Sorry about your gain Doreen but as others have said, you'll have it off in no time :)
I hope you have a great weekend whatever you're up to :) xx

Aw, that was really nice of her! At least, as you say, you'll be much better prepared next time you're there. I think you'll manage to lose that gained weight quite easily really, as you definitely seem to have your head in the right place and are doing so well. Just glad you can relax for a while now.

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who 'speaks' to their parents, once they're not around! Thought I was just being a weirdo!! :D The strange thing about it is, as I had a bad head injury in the car, it totally wiped all my memories of those 14 years with them out so, when I look at a photo of them, I obviously know they are my Mum and Dad, but I don't know them?! It's a really strange feeling. And, when I was reminiscing about Linda living in Wales and knowing I went there on that last holiday together with my parents and two brothers, it reminded me of something. Several years ago now, my partner, Pete and I were driving near Portmadoc, when I suddenly wanted to go a certain way. We followed a few different roads and, as we were approaching a long, leafy driveway, I said to him that I knew for certain (even though I couldn't remember it) that we had stayed up that driveway and it had been a caravan site. We turned up the driveway and it was like stepping back in time! I knew every twist and turn of it, even down to when it opened out at the top, which direction our caravan had been in! This had happened once before, in Scarborough, down two different streets, where I seemed to recognise two different guest houses. I just knew I had to go down these streets! I pointed out one B+B to Pete and said I just knew it had been called Sea Breeze and, bless him, he knocked on the door and the owner said it had been called Sea Breeze, back in the 70's and he took us to the dining room, where there were some old photos of the B+B in the 70's. Unfortunately, they didn't bring back any memories. The other Scarborough guest house I stopped outside and 'just knew' I'd stayed there, as a child, was called The Lyddon and, amazingly, it still had the same name!! A few weeks later, my younger brother gave me a box with lots of our childhood photos in and, incredibly, my weird feelings were confirmed when, right at the very bottom of the box, under all the photos, was a picture and a receipt of The Lyddon Hotel, Scarborough!! So, so strange but comforting at the same time. :)

Sorry to rattle on so much but I feel I can say things quite openly on here - to my little Mini's family. :) I'm glad you find comfort talking to your Mum too, Doreen. xx

That is such a lovely story Kathy. Don`t want to say sad because it doesn`t sound like that. Just lovely your memories still being in your head somewhere and popping up once in a while.

I tell my Mum about Faye and Flynn a lot. She would have idolised them. Nik - their Dad - and I talk about her not knowing the children sometimes, but it is upsetting for both of us, so does not happen often. It fetches tears to my eyes thinking about it but we do have some lovely memories.

I do hope Kathy that you get some more of your lost memories pop up again. xx

Aw, thank-you so much, Doreen. That's really sweet of you. :) Yes, these sudden feelings are quite strange but suppose it shows there's some memory there, locked away. :) It's weird because I remember the inside of my childhood home with real clarity but I've even sat in my car in the side street that runs up the side of my old house, just staring up at it (surprised the police haven't been called!), trying to remember my parents but there's just nothing there. Glad I remember the inside of my house though. Even remember sitting, as a young teenager, perched on the arm of a chair, looking out of the front window, listening to my favourite pop star's records. :) Some of my 'feelings' about places I'd love to verify with my two brothers but, forty years on, they still don't talk about it really.

A really nice thing I discovered just a few years though is, the husband of the elderly cleaner at the school where I work, actually worked with my Dad, who was a postman so she brings me tales in about him, when her husband remembers things. That's really lovely because it kind of makes him real to me.

Glad you tell your Mum about Faye and Flynn and, I'm sure, as you say, she would have loved them to bits, just like you obviously do. They are lucky to have such a lovely Grandma and I'm sure their heads will be full of wonderful memories of the times they spend with you. :) xx

Aawwww ladies you have me weeping. How difficult that must be at times Choko. Its lovely to hear about the pockets of memory you do have though, and how extraordinary to have someone to tell you stories about dad too. Shame your brothers still dont wish to share thoughts with you but it must be so hard for everyone. Id like to think im creating enough memories for my children to keep however you just dont know whats around the corner do you?
Your a lovely lady theyd be so proud! Xxx

Back