NannyDoreen & Upndown's daily diaries

Afternoon all. I am feeling mush better now. Still taking the tablets. After breakfast went back to bed and slept for 3 hours. Even though the abscess had been feeling better, when I put my teeth back in there was so much pressure it was hurting again, My ear was bad yesterday too. My jaw is still a bit swollen too.

BUT NOW I am feeling good, I can eat better I can work about the house without my face throbbing. I am going to pop out to get a little shopping. Garden needs attention but not today. I don`t want to push my luck, I will do some gardening tomorrow .......... after weigh in.

Have kept to plan but no exercise at all. Scales look like a STS. I hope not because as it is 1st May tomorrow it is the start of the May challenge and I lost zilch in April. I want to get to the 15`s. Are you going to join the May challenge Linda.

Linda I am sure your hubby will keep busy and that if he is not you will find him things to do. Sounds to me like you have a good one there. Hope you are feeling good today.
I am not keen on ready meals. The only one I have liked is M&S roasted Veg Lasagne. Not tried the SW ones, some too expensive for what they are plus I would not want to have to cook anything to go with a ready meal. Anyway have a good day all.

Good morning Ann

Yes Kathy Good ol` Darren. I do like what he has done, but still sometimes just look down the normal index to look through.

Oh, so do I, Doreen! I'd be lost without it! Every week I click on the link Darren has done, ready to plan my meals for the week, prior to shopping on a Thursday. Then I write them all down and, when they come up on the screen, I go to the top of the page they're on and write the page number next to them. That way, when I come to look for the recipe, I don't have to trawl all through the various recipe names under the sub-headings Darren has done. I can just go straight to the numbered page I need. Simples!! :) Well, I know what I'm on about anyway! :D

Glad to hear parts of you are feeling better today! :) Glad you didn't do any gardening today though. Talking of gardens, Pete's brother came up today, while we were at work and sorted all the weed infested pebbles under our lounge bay window. He's done a lovely job! He's made a wooden frame around the pebbled area, to contain them, removed all the old pebbles and laid new ones. It was lovely to come home to. :)

Sorry to hear you're still not feeling as bright as normal, Linda. It's been a few days now, hasn't it? I hope tomorrow is the turning point! Hey! You've got to get up to normal strength to give hubby all his orders! :D

I'm wondering about that ready meal, Linda. Reckon what I may have been looking at was the recipe they print on it! They've probably typed that out to serve 4 people. Admittedly, I didn't have my glasses on so that could explain a lot!

Good luck with your WI tomorrow, Doreen. Fingers crossed for you. :) Would be good to start May off with a loss! xx

Thats a good idea Kathy to write the page number down. I can just see a little book with recipe name and page number. Mine that will be.
I bet that looks lovely with all the pebbles. Nice to come home to.

Hope you are feeling a little less washed out Linda. It is pretty awful when your energy gets sapped. I was trying to think of a couple of funny remarks to make you giggle but nothing comes to mind except be better soon. xxooxx

Thanks I do feel a bit perkier now - Poppy has her swimming lesson on Thurs and I didn't feel like going - but went and was glad I did - she swam a length in 24 seconds and was delighted with herself!!

Didn't go to MiL as we usually do - in case I pass the bug on - bought ready meals for tea cos I didn't feel like cooking and now feel I'm getting over the bug and will have an early night. Just as well as the family are staying at the weekend - so on Sunday there'll be 12 mouths to feed 12 and a bit if you count the 'new' baby!!

So eaten comfort food again but hope to be on plan 2moro xx

Oh, so do I, Doreen! I'd be lost without it! Every week I click on the link Darren has done, ready to plan my meals for the week, prior to shopping on a Thursday. Then I write them all down and, when they come up on the screen, I go to the top of the page they're on and write the page number next to them. That way, when I come to look for the recipe, I don't have to trawl all through the various recipe names under the sub-headings Darren has done. I can just go straight to the numbered page I need. Simples!! :) Well, I know what I'm on about anyway! :D

Glad to hear parts of you are feeling better today! :) Glad you didn't do any gardening today though. Talking of gardens, Pete's brother came up today, while we were at work and sorted all the weed infested pebbles under our lounge bay window. He's done a lovely job! He's made a wooden frame around the pebbled area, to contain them, removed all the old pebbles and laid new ones. It was lovely to come home to. :)

Sorry to hear you're still not feeling as bright as normal, Linda. It's been a few days now, hasn't it? I hope tomorrow is the turning point! Hey! You've got to get up to normal strength to give hubby all his orders! :D

I'm wondering about that ready meal, Linda. Reckon what I may have been looking at was the recipe they print on it! They've probably typed that out to serve 4 people. Admittedly, I didn't have my glasses on so that could explain a lot!

Good luck with your WI tomorrow, Doreen. Fingers crossed for you. :) Would be good to start May off with a loss! xx

Yes I like the index Darren's done - but I also like looking down the list - as I like to read the names of the recipes - they inspire me!! Did I tell you I have a table in 'Word' which lists my fave meals - like you I've typed the page no. and added a comment on the ones I've cooked so far - sounds a bit anal but it helps me to keep on track. I don't like using ready meals really but they are handy sometimes and as Doreen says some are expensive and a nuisance if you have cook veg or other accompaniments!

Yes I will be joining the May challenge - April has been a write off for me - bit cross with myself!! I don't want us to be a pair of fat pensioners - Phil is going to face the scales - he won't have much to lose but he's been under pressure trying to finish a project and eating and drinking a little more than usual - we will literally be getting on our bikes and putting our walking boots on and eating Kathy's recipes - perhaps he'll join us on the May challenge! xx

Hope you are feeling a little less washed out Linda. It is pretty awful when your energy gets sapped. I was trying to think of a couple of funny remarks to make you giggle but nothing comes to mind except be better soon. xxooxx

Yes you'll see I've just posted I feel more like me tonight - nice of you to think of something to make me smile - but just reading everyone's posts on you thread gives me a lift!! Glad to read you're getting over your abcess too - nasty thing xxx

Thursday 30th April

hexa 1% milk. Hexb 2 bread

B: 1/2 tin beans, 1/2 triangle cheese (1/2 syn) , 2 eggs & 2 toast
L: Jelly (1.1/2 syns), banana
D: Chicken Chasseur from freezer.(3 syns) Has mushroom, pepper onion. Will do boiled rice and broccoli with it.
Banana. Pear.

Total 5 syns

Update 6.20pm
Enjoyed my food today, especially my dinner. Going out shopping made my mouth and head feel uncomfortable but that will settle by morning.
I know I got up late today but want to have an early night so I don`t eat anymore before weigh in. Just some coffee.

A text book day Doreen - I know your scales say sts but I'd be delighted for you if you have even a small loss - we'll both have to go for it in May or we won't be looking good in our bikinis and mini skirts this summer!!xx

Well you couldn't help sitting around Doreen and a half on isn't too bad is it - I hope you're feeling much better now and out of pain? I wonder how you feel about the Bank Hol weekend SW wise?

Can't remember if I said the family are coming to stay over the weekend - did the food shop and had to buy some goodies but tried to choose things I don't like - but that doesn't leave much choice ;)

Feeling a lot better this morning - foodwise I've been ok so far and I plan to make a SW curry, SW casserole, SW pasta dish and maybe a soup for weekend meals - so will try to stay on plan :rolleyes:

Today:

B: boiled egg, satsuma
L: bacon sarnie, ketchup 1 syn, salad and grapes
D: one of the meals above
Syns: I'll keep them low I hope!

Hi Linda. I was upset with the 1/2lb on I really thought I had lost at least half. I haven`t done much at all this week as I said but will get out into the garden tomorrow. I am still uncomfortable and have two days tablets to go after today. I found at class that the more I talked the more it hurt. My jaw still feels like somebody has punched me, so one of the girls offered to punch the other side. We did laugh, even more so because she had her fist raised too. :)

As you say, and as I would say to you also, 1/2lb not too bad. I looked over my food plans and they were actually good so it will show next week.

Glad you are feeling better today and are being good on food too. Good idea to get some meals ready for your guests. Very often that is the best way.l

Nothing to get in my way for this weekend. Sunday around 11am I am meeting Nik Davina and the children at Bishops Stortford as Faye has an audition for dancing. Will be lovely to see them all. I do miss them.

In two weeks time I will be going to see my sisters in Norfolk Fri-Mon. Looking forward to that then the next b/h the children will be needing me, so glad my mouth problem is now and not to come later.

I will post my food in a minute. Not sure what to have for dinner. Don`t really want to cook so may have Ham and egg salad with potatoes.

Sorry to hear about your small gain, Doreen but, as you say, I'm sure you will see a loss next week. We're very good at sympathizing with others, aren't we but extremely hard on ourselves!!

Sorry also to hear your mouth is still painful. If it hasn't totally improved by the time the tablets have all gone, maybe you should go back to the docs. You don't want to still be suffering any longer than necessary, especially when chatting to the children. Sounds like you'll have a lovely day on Sunday, when you all meet up. Faye is certainly a busy young lady!

I've just parted with a thousand pounds, helping MY young lady (Amy) out! No, I don't mind really. She is really struggling financially, while doing this extra year at uni. She just never stops working though and has, deservedly, gained some excellent grades. However, she did say, once her next lot of essays and exams are over, she will be able to apply for some part-time jobs, whilst writing her dissertation. Thank goodness the course is only for a year! So proud of her though. Seriously don't know where she gets her brains from! She's always worked hard though, since starting out at primary school. I just hope, after all this, she can get a job she loves and with a wage that reflects all her dedication to learning.

Sounds like you're doing your best, food-wise, for when you have your visitors this weekend, Linda. It's always so tricky when others are needing to be fed, isn't it? When Pete's Mum came for tea the other weekend, I had to really think about it but, in the end, we had salmon, new potatoes and petit pois, which we all enjoyed. :) Did strawberries with a meringue nest crumbled over, for dessert, which she thought was a real treat so, we were all happy!

Hope Cloudy Linda is ok and we hear from her soon. Hello to all the other ladies too. :) Have a lovely evening. xx

That is so nice of you Kathy to passing over a thousand pounds to Amy. We don`t mind do we? I used to do it for my youngest but not much funds now so not so easy. She sounds like she has a good brain there. Flynn who is now 6.1/2 seems at this moment to be very clever. He asks lots of questions and is very keen to learn. His school treacher has put him up 2 grades in reading. The highest in his class bless him.

Yes I had a small gain and yes I got all the sympathy I could have wanted and would have given to others. I was not very happy though and started eating last night. I ended up having 40syns yesterday. No bad going as I didn`t get home from SW till 11.30am. Silly because I knew what I was doing but was enjoying it.
Not gonna write out what I had, I have elsewhere. I will have to keep the syns really low now and watch the portions. I can do it but it is getting harder. Will be getting out more from today and I am sure that will help.

Have a good weekend Kathy and all our ladies.

I have done 1hr digging in the garden. If rain holds off will do another hour later. Going to have a quick bite then walk down to the cafe for coffee.
Another 1/2 hour of strenuous digging.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your small gain. Hopefully that will shift now you can be active again. Hope you are able to do your gardening today. We are away in Caernarfon and it hasn't stopped raining since early this morning!

Glad you are feeling better Linda. Have a lovely time with your visitors tomorrow.

Hooe everyone else is enjoying the bank holiday weekend too xx

That`s a shame about the rain. We have not had any at all. Hoping I can cut the grass tomorrow before I go out. Apart from some more digging and weeding at the front a cut lawn will make the back look much better, Have really neglected it recently.
I am sure that gain will go quickly. xx

Friday 1st May

Hexa 1% milk. hexb 2 bread
B: 2 coffees
L: eggs, beans toast. 1 extra toast (2.1/2), 1 triangle cheese (1)
D: Ham & egg salad with boiled spud. toms, onion gherkin mayo 30ml with 1/2 tsp dijon mustard(2)
Strawberries & Yogurt.
Supper: 1 warburton thin (5.1/2) and Yogurt. 50g tinnned apple, (1/2) sweetener

10.5 syns of + 30

Saturday 2nd May

hexa milk hexb 2 bread

B; coffee
Lunch 2 toast, 1/2 tin beans 1/2 triangle cheese (1.2 syn)
S: apple banana
D: chilli con carni with added carrot & rice. 3 satsumas 1 banana yogurt.

later 2 apples & coffee

1/2 syn .......... wow pleased with that and gardening.

For the two days I have had 41 syns of 30.

I had a call from my SW Consultant. She wanted to find out how I felt about the gain as she new I was unhappy. So nice of her. We are so lucky.

Hi Linda. I was upset with the 1/2lb on I really thought I had lost at least half. I haven`t done much at all this week as I said but will get out into the garden tomorrow. I am still uncomfortable and have two days tablets to go after today. I found at class that the more I talked the more it hurt. My jaw still feels like somebody has punched me, so one of the girls offered to punch the other side. We did laugh, even more so because she had her fist raised too. :)

As you say, and as I would say to you also, 1/2lb not too bad. I looked over my food plans and they were actually good so it will show next week.

Glad you are feeling better today and are being good on food too. Good idea to get some meals ready for your guests. Very often that is the best way.l

Nothing to get in my way for this weekend. Sunday around 11am I am meeting Nik Davina and the children at Bishops Stortford as Faye has an audition for dancing. Will be lovely to see them all. I do miss them.

In two weeks time I will be going to see my sisters in Norfolk Fri-Mon. Looking forward to that then the next b/h the children will be needing me, so glad my mouth problem is now and not to come later.

I will post my food in a minute. Not sure what to have for dinner. Don`t really want to cook so may have Ham and egg salad with potatoes.

I was sorry to read that your mouth still hurts - but hope you've seen some improvement during the day? Had a little giggle at your 'near punch' your class sounds fun! Yes as you say your loss shd next week - I thought that your food had been good too!! Glad you're seeing the family - that'll give you a boost I hope Faye enjoys the dancing and the audition goes well. Enjoying the weekend - too much food wise - oh dear. Look after yourself and I hope your mouth improves with those last few tablets. xx

Sorry to hear about your small gain, Doreen but, as you say, I'm sure you will see a loss next week. We're very good at sympathizing with others, aren't we but extremely hard on ourselves!!

Sorry also to hear your mouth is still painful. If it hasn't totally improved by the time the tablets have all gone, maybe you should go back to the docs. You don't want to still be suffering any longer than necessary, especially when chatting to the children. Sounds like you'll have a lovely day on Sunday, when you all meet up. Faye is certainly a busy young lady!

I've just parted with a thousand pounds, helping MY young lady (Amy) out! No, I don't mind really. She is really struggling financially, while doing this extra year at uni. She just never stops working though and has, deservedly, gained some excellent grades. However, she did say, once her next lot of essays and exams are over, she will be able to apply for some part-time jobs, whilst writing her dissertation. Thank goodness the course is only for a year! So proud of her though. Seriously don't know where she gets her brains from! She's always worked hard though, since starting out at primary school. I just hope, after all this, she can get a job she loves and with a wage that reflects all her dedication to learning.

Sounds like you're doing your best, food-wise, for when you have your visitors this weekend, Linda. It's always so tricky when others are needing to be fed, isn't it? When Pete's Mum came for tea the other weekend, I had to really think about it but, in the end, we had salmon, new potatoes and petit pois, which we all enjoyed. :) Did strawberries with a meringue nest crumbled over, for dessert, which she thought was a real treat so, we were all happy!

Hope Cloudy Linda is ok and we hear from her soon. Hello to all the other ladies too. :) Have a lovely evening. xx
Yes Amy does sound like a hard worker and helping her out will pay dividends I'm sure - not long to go now!! Your meal with Pete's Mum sounds fab - no wonder she felt it was a treat cos it was!! You may have seen that I'm not on plan even after all my planning xx

That is so nice of you Kathy to passing over a thousand pounds to Amy. We don`t mind do we? I used to do it for my youngest but not much funds now so not so easy. She sounds like she has a good brain there. Flynn who is now 6.1/2 seems at this moment to be very clever. He asks lots of questions and is very keen to learn. His school treacher has put him up 2 grades in reading. The highest in his class bless him.

Yes I had a small gain and yes I got all the sympathy I could have wanted and would have given to others. I was not very happy though and started eating last night. I ended up having 40syns yesterday. No bad going as I didn`t get home from SW till 11.30am. Silly because I knew what I was doing but was enjoying it.
Not gonna write out what I had, I have elsewhere. I will have to keep the syns really low now and watch the portions. I can do it but it is getting harder. Will be getting out more from today and I am sure that will help.

Have a good weekend Kathy and all our ladies.
Clever little Flynn - must get in from his clever Nanny I reckon!! Like you I've overdone the food this weekend so far. xx

I have done 1hr digging in the garden. If rain holds off will do another hour later. Going to have a quick bite then walk down to the cafe for coffee.
Another 1/2 hour of strenuous digging.
Blimey that's a lot of digging plus your walk - excellent body magic Doreen - weather here has been cold and it's rained for most of the day - typical Bank Hol really!!xx

Sorry to hear about your small gain. Hopefully that will shift now you can be active again. Hope you are able to do your gardening today. We are away in Caernarfon and it hasn't stopped raining since early this morning!

Glad you are feeling better Linda. Have a lovely time with your visitors tomorrow.

Hooe everyone else is enjoying the bank holiday weekend too xx
Thanks - enjoying myself and the food too much!! Hope you're having a good time at the van. xx

That`s a shame about the rain. We have not had any at all. Hoping I can cut the grass tomorrow before I go out. Apart from some more digging and weeding at the front a cut lawn will make the back look much better, Have really neglected it recently.
I am sure that gain will go quickly. xx
Wow Doreen - grass cutting, more digging and weeding - tha garden will look good and you'll look great with your toned muscles!! xx

Friday 1st May

Hexa 1% milk. hexb 2 bread
B: 2 coffees
L: eggs, beans toast. 1 extra toast (2.1/2), 1 triangle cheese (1)
D: Ham & egg salad with boiled spud. toms, onion gherkin mayo 30ml with 1/2 tsp dijon mustard(2)
Strawberries & Yogurt.
Supper: 1 warburton thin (5.1/2) and Yogurt. 50g tinnned apple, (1/2) sweetener

10.5 syns of + 30

Saturday 2nd May

hexa milk hexb 2 bread

B; coffee
Lunch 2 toast, 1/2 tin beans 1/2 triangle cheese (1.2 syn)
S: apple banana
D: chilli con carni with added carrot & rice. 3 satsumas 1 banana yogurt.

later 2 apples & coffee

1/2 syn .......... wow pleased with that and gardening.

For the two days I have had 41 syns of 30.

I had a call from my SW Consultant. She wanted to find out how I felt about the gain as she new I was unhappy. So nice of her. We are so lucky.

Nice to get the call from your consultant and your syns are much better than mine - I'm past counting - oh dear........ actually I should have said you're doing great with your food and body magic Doreen - well done - how do you fancy coming to live with me for a month - I'd learn a lot but ............perhaps I'd be a bad influence on you!! :eek:xxx

Last edited:
Doreen, we're not machines! 1/2 lb is only a few OZs!!

could be water

How lovely of your consultant to call you! That is great support.

Hope you managed to cut the grass, it does make a huge difference. Our lawns at home were done before we left so they will look nice when we get back tomorrow. Now all we need is some nice weather to actually sit out and enjoy ours gardens :D

Linda, my food this weekend has been terrible too :rolleyes:

Enjoy your Sunday everyone xx

Back