nearing goal - expected losses?

lumpyandbumpy

Silver Member
hi everyone,

im a strong supported of atkins, followed it before for a few stints but for me its not something i follow long term. i tend to follow the induction for a week or 2 then stick to something like slimming world as i find its a better balance for me. whenever ive done the induction stage before ive lost around 7lbs in a week but i was heavier then, around 10.5 stone mark. now im at 9.2, i want to be in the 8s to maintain at around 8.5-8.7 mark and am contemplating following atkins induction for a week to get closer to goal. im currently doing alternate day fasting which is great but im not losing at the moment on it but i am maintaining so would be following this again when i reached the 8s.

if i did atkins induction, do you think i could lose around 5-7lbs over a week or 2, or does it seem unlikely to expect that sort of result now that im nearing goal? thanks atkiners! x

Yes you could lose 7lbs in induction, even at a low start weight.

It wouldn't be fat loss, though, and would likely go straight back on if you went back to eating carbs without building up to it slowly. I'm surprised if it hasn't when you've switched toSW before? Maybe the red days are low carb enough to keep it off? Not sure.

The body can store up to 10lbs of glycogen - water weight. Because you can't get into ketosis while storing glycogen, the first two weeks on Atkins release these stores. That's the big first week / first two weeks woosh people see. It's only after you get into ketosis and the body is in a fat burning state that fat really starts to come off. So you can totally do it for a week and lose a good amount of water weight but there's a strong possibility that work will be undone if you don't stay low carb.

There are a lot of people who combine fasting with low carb, have you considered that as an option?

Yes you could lose 7lbs in induction, even at a low start weight.

It wouldn't be fat loss, though, and would likely go straight back on if you went back to eating carbs without building up to it slowly. I'm surprised if it hasn't when you've switched toSW before? Maybe the red days are low carb enough to keep it off? Not sure.

The body can store up to 10lbs of glycogen - water weight. Because you can't get into ketosis while storing glycogen, the first two weeks on Atkins release these stores. That's the big first week / first two weeks woosh people see. It's only after you get into ketosis and the body is in a fat burning state that fat really starts to come off. So you can totally do it for a week and lose a good amount of water weight but there's a strong possibility that work will be undone if you don't stay low carb.

There are a lot of people who combine fasting with low carb, have you considered that as an option?

thanks for your reply! what i did before was follow mainly red days on SW after doing atkins so that the weight didnt pile straight back on. i did usually gain 1lb or 2 in the following week where i brought carbs back but thats coz i restricted them so although a bit of weight came back, it went the week later after i got back into normal healthy eating routine.

i have thought about having low carb days on my fasting diet but i do struggle to cut carbs out as they tend to make up my staple diet, eek! thats why i can handle atkins for a week as i do enjoy the naughty foods like burgers and like omelettes too but long term i would struggle to just stick to fats and protein. not sure what to do, i may stock up on atkins style foods next week and take the plunge then reintroduce carbs sloooowly! x

That's probably the best idea, the slow reintroduction, if you don't feel you could do low carb long term. Ultimately the glycogen stores will refill but hopefully you'll be losing more weight in the meantime so it won't show ;)

thanks for your help, ive been reading your diary on the atkins forum, you're doing really well and your menus are really handy too, i love diaries they are so helpful! x

Back